If Thailand goes pear shaped

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I've always put sugar in my wine, so here Full Moon Dark wine coolers are ideal at 28bht/bottle (7.5% alc).

In the UK I only ever ate cheddar, Mainland Tasty at Makro costing 345bht/500gm is ideal.

But that's the point I am making, it's only available at Makro due to the demand by foreigners. 

If foreigners decline, so does the demand, therefore so does the supply, then it becomes less available, and probably more expensive.  

• Haha 1

Just now, Leaver said:

But that's the point I am making, it's only available at Makro due to the demand by foreigners. 

If foreigners decline, so does the demand, therefore so does the supply, then it becomes less available, and probably more expensive.  

There's no foreigners (OK, maybe 4-6) using the large Makro near me, and they sell hundreds of packets a week. When I first came her (2009) they didn't sell milk in 7-11, now there's 3-4 brands to choose between, Thai eating habits are changing. I could actually live without cheese, but I don't have to.

Edited by BritManToo

11 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

There's no foreigners (OK, maybe 4-6) using the large Makro near me, and they sell hundreds of packets a week. When I first came her (2009) they didn't sell milk in 7-11, now there's 3-4 brands to choose between, Thai eating habits are changing. I could actually live without cheese, but I don't have to.

Like the rest of the world, Thai eating habits are moving towards fast food junk. 

Not so much for tourists, but another one is medical here.  We enjoy a decent standard of medical here due mainly to expat demand.  Should that demand decline, so does access to decent medical. 

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

I've always put sugar in my wine, so here Full Moon Dark wine coolers are ideal at 28bht/bottle (7.5% alc).

I just had a couple of these, taste nice enough but strangely it didn't give me a fuzzy feeling which a large 5% Singh does, either Singh is more than 5% or Full Moon Dark is less than 7.5%

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Leaver said:

Like the rest of the world, Thai eating habits are moving towards fast food junk. 

Not so much for tourists, but another one is medical here.  We enjoy a decent standard of medical here due mainly to expat demand.  Should that demand decline, so does access to decent medical. 

I've always queued with the Thais at the government hospital.

It's not as if I've got much else to do in the day.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/14/2021 at 6:17 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

As for my fellow farangs, never had any great desire to associate with any.

bit of a contradiction since you spend a lot of time online. 

don't worry about it. we're all mixed bags.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I just had a couple of these, taste nice enough but strangely it didn't give me a fuzzy feeling which a large 5% Singh does, either Singh is more than 5% or Full Moon Dark is less than 7.5%

The secret is adding sugar.  ????

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

how does that make it stronger?

Well, it was a joke, but technically, yes.  Yeast converts sugar and makes more alcohol. 

Of course, it doesn't happen in the 10 minutes it takes to drink the cooler.    

• Confused 1

On 5/22/2021 at 6:50 AM, Damrongsak said:

Good home cooking.  This gal was trying for a world record.  For a time, she was eating over 20,000 calories a day.  Sometimes 30,000.  Here's breakfast.

Pin on OMG...Really????

What I fail to understand is how they can afford it. Do all obese people have high paying jobs that allows them to spend more on food in a month than I would in a year?

Allowing that obesity hasn't been so universal for long enough to show up in hospitals in significant numbers, when they start to wear out their knee joints and become diabetic etc, they are surely going to bankrupt any public health system, or will public hospitals just deny them treatment till they lose enough weight?

However, the good news is that I'm no longer working as a nurse, so I don't have to wreck my back looking after them.

Just now, thaibeachlovers said:

Real life is not the same as on line. On here I can just ignore posters I don't like, but in real life it's rude to just walk away from people.

I find putting earbuds in is more effective than just walking away.

On 5/22/2021 at 11:31 PM, BritManToo said:

I've always queued with the Thais at the government hospital.

It's not as if I've got much else to do in the day.

Likewise. As it could take upwards of three hours to be seen I always took a book. I did couple of times stay in a private hospital in Lamphun, but I was the only farang in the building, so not much farang input there. In Chiang Mai I went to the big public hospital. I got to know the canteen staff quite well.

• Like 1

On 5/7/2021 at 8:06 PM, BobBKK said:

You live in Thailand and don't doubt what these clowns in government say?  are you serious???

These numbers are produced by scientists and technocrats, not by Prayut or other partisan politicians. I also trust the numbers on things like GDP, population growth, etcetera. Your entire reason for distrusting these numbers seems to be that you can't trust ANY numbers. Numbers of tourist arrivals, vaccine deliveries that kind of thing I don't trust. Others I do.

• Haha 2

On 5/8/2021 at 2:36 AM, talahtnut said:

You are joking aren't you? 

I can't think of any gub'ment that doesn't lie.

'Let me control the media

and I will turn any nation

into a herd of pigs'.

Joseph Goebbels.

So they lie about everything, or just some things? All numbers released by any government agency anywhere in the world about any subject is just a lie? Of course governments lie about certain things, just tell me why you think they are lying about this specific thing.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

On 5/22/2021 at 9:57 PM, BritManToo said:

Didn't sell milk in 7 11s in 2009?

In the 1990s I was buying UHT milk at a 7 11 to go with my cornflakes when staying at places with no refrigerators.

Perhaps not where you were.

6 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Didn't sell milk in 7 11s in 2009?

In the 1990s I was buying UHT milk at a 7 11 to go with my cornflakes when staying at places with no refrigerators.

Perhaps not where you were.

You think UHT is milk?

I want fresh milk.

Just now, thaibeachlovers said:

UHT milk is still milk. Fresh milk was not an option at many nice beaches, as it goes off if not refrigerated.

I want fresh milk and a fridge to put it in!

And a kettle, electricity and tea bags.

Edited by BritManToo

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/5/2021 at 11:41 PM, covidiot said:

pandemic will end 

No it wont; the only disease ever eradicated via vaccination is Small Pox and that took over a century. We will have to decide at some stage how many deaths we will live with, just like we do with every other disease we haven't eradicated via vaccination eg Influenza. 

On a side note, I see that in the Australian state of NSW, the number of hospitalisations for Influenze dropped to 32 from the average of 4800, mostly because of the same reasons Covid was contained, (social distancing, hand washing, masks and no one, including Australians, allowed into the country).  So far the Australian Government (and NZ I believe as well) has committed to zero deaths which means we can never open the nation up to travel even after vaccination, some people will still die... or ...they will have to walk back from that. I suspect with a Federal Election looming in Australia, it won't be until at least after that, as it was shocking to see the results in QLD and WA showing that lock everyone up and keep them locked up was super poplar with the jailers Australians are descended from.

On 5/5/2021 at 8:33 PM, rocky123 said:

Been here, 16 years and loved it. Thing is, how bad is it gonna get here. ??  Every day a new law comin out and NEW strains popin up out of nowhere. Its worldwide I know, but is it gonna be safe in the land of "smiles" Future Lookin Bleak to me.

Let's see...

Thailand: 1300 deaths.

UK: 130,000 deaths.

Thailand: most are respectful enough to wear masks.

UK: we'll mock people wearing masks

Thailand: not very many pear-shaped women

UK: pear-shaped is the best it gets; pie-shaped is the norm.

You may have to elaborate but I am missing your point.