A shot in the arm: foreign residents and their eligibility for a jab

webfact

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

A Chinese virus vaccine in a Thai private hospital for a few dollars?????????????????????????????????????????

Sure...if that's what you want.

Just wait a month or 2.

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, VBF said:

Allow me to correct that (based on personal experience) The UK embassy in Thailand anywhere in the world is nothing does nothing and cares even less.

But then as has been said, are they there to "aid and assist" Brits abroad or are they just trade missions?  I've always thought it the former, but I appear to be expecting too much.

I stand corrected.

British Embassy will all have had the jab(private) but!!as for the British expats you're on your own. The British Embassy will not lift a finger to help you.

(Ask anyone who has had the privilege of unfortunate dealings with the British Embassy)

found out today that I can register without using the app.  My next door neighbour is our village head, and he advised me to go to the community health centre tomorrow and they will register me if I have a pink ID card.  Will post again tomorrow if successful.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

Let gthe Embassies in Thailand vaccinate the people of    their country.. how difficult can that be?

The embassies can do whatever they want. They neither need nor require permission.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Brierley said:

It's not their job to look after the health of their citizens overseas, they're not missionaries.

So please explain to me why UK pensions are frozen for UK Expats and yet we still have to pay UK Tax on our earnings/private pensions in the UK and when we need urgent medical treatment in the UK should we choose to return we have to pay for it (Having contributed all our working lives).....C+nts!

• Sad 1

16 hours ago, inThailand said:

Is anyone really surprised of more misinformation and yet another cock up? 

The greatest U turn country in the world,sat it today change it tomorrow,and so consistently 

4 hours ago, Mario666 said:

So please explain to me why UK pensions are frozen for UK Expats and yet we still have to pay UK Tax on our earnings/private pensions in the UK and when we need urgent medical treatment in the UK should we choose to return we have to pay for it (Having contributed all our working lives).....C+nts!

Frozen pensions and NHS access for expats have nothing whatsoever to do with the Foreign and Commonwealth Office and the role of UK embassies around the world, they are very different and separate parts of government and completely unrelated topics.

15 hours ago, DavisH said:

And just how many doses are available in the UK??? It';s not zenophobic at all to vaccinate your own citizens forst when the number of doses is limited. 

Totally right, it’s not xenophobic at all, there is no fear at play here. It’s nativism.

They are creating an illogical policy that puts their own people before the greater good of all.
The matter needs to be tackled in a holistic manner, not by dividing people into racial (national) groups, anything else is just ignorance of fact.

All the Thai workers in Israel got the Pfizer jabs free of charge and are now safe. The few Thai students there likewise. But here in Thailand for some reason we farang are treated with suspicion bordering on hostility. Say thanks if they agree to sell you the Chinese placebo for 3,000 baht in April 2022. And all you smartasses don't tell me to go home because I decided already.I must get the jab and be safe.

Foreigners make up less than 5% of the population.  Anglo saxon/westerners likely make up less than 1% of the population.

Less than 3% of Thais have received the vaccine to date. 

97% Thai and Non-thai still waiting.  Patience Grasshopper

download.jpeg

Most other countries like here in Thailand the information given by governments is ambiguous, and for a reason. Most information given is full of "ifs" and "loopholes". And this information is interpreted by the agent...Hum, confusing to say the least.

18 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Let's just say when Australia provides Thailand with $2.8 million or $68 million baht towards it's vaccination program, do you really think it would be hard to make it a condition to vaccinate all Ozzies in Thailand, doubt that would even reach $100K, but nope, here you go guys, spend up big, don't worry about our citizens, they can go and fark themselves, because they left Australia.

That's basically it in a nutshell.

If you read the announcement today the Thai government has confirmed that all foreigners will be vaccinated.

Re the Australian government the reality as with most other countries is that once you leave they are not interested in you.

I knew before I decided to move here that I would be responsible for my own medical and hospital costs.

I knew that every year I would have to renew the retirement extension and do the ninety day reporting.

It I didn’t want to do the above I wouldn’t have come here but I am not constantly complaining about it.

If you think you are badly treated by the Australian government I paid big amounts in both personal and company tax then when I retire I am denied the aged pension because they say I am too rich, what a joke.

I have an Aussie friend who has been trying for several months to return so he can claim the aged pension because unlike most countries you have to be in the country to claim.

The list is endless about how well they look after us, that’s one reason why I left to live here.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Many Thai businesses don't want farang customers and yesterday I was reminded why. I was in a cafe and one guy from the USA was making a fool of himself by complaining about the staff mixing milk shakes in a blender. He literally was walking up to the counter and telling them to be quiet, that they never needed to break the ice up for so long. The then 'deliberately' gave him his order late to <deleted> him off even more.probably to make sure he didn't come back.  Next time you get bad service, just entertain the thought that it might be you that are doing making a cultural faux pas. 

Entertain the thought yourself that an exception doesn’t make a rule 

1 hour ago, StevieAus said:

If you read the announcement today the Thai government has confirmed that all foreigners will be vaccinated.

Re the Australian government the reality as with most other countries is that once you leave they are not interested in you.

I knew before I decided to move here that I would be responsible for my own medical and hospital costs.

I knew that every year I would have to renew the retirement extension and do the ninety day reporting.

It I didn’t want to do the above I wouldn’t have come here but I am not constantly complaining about it.

If you think you are badly treated by the Australian government I paid big amounts in both personal and company tax then when I retire I am denied the aged pension because they say I am too rich, what a joke.

I have an Aussie friend who has been trying for several months to return so he can claim the aged pension because unlike most countries you have to be in the country to claim.

The list is endless about how well they look after us, that’s one reason why I left to live here.

I copied and pasted my other reply to a post from page 5 below, so I am well aware of what your saying, e.g. we are in the exact same boat mate, also at no time was I complaining, just stating the facts.

Copied and pasted:

If you really believe your government cares about you, you are misguided.

I came from Australia, if I wish to return, I have to quarantine and pay for the 14 nights accommodation, so it's up to me.

When I left Australia, the legislation made it clear, i.e. once you are past 186 days out of the country and make Thailand your new abode, you will be classed as a non resident.

1) All income you make in Australia, if any will be taxed at 1/3rd from the very first $, no threshold, you will also pay tax from any overseas country if it is income based.

2) If you own a property you will pay 1/3rd tax on the rent and not be able to offset any repairs or costs or losses of any kind.

3) When you sell that property you will pay Capital Gains Tax of 42% from the day you purchased it. This legislation came into effect on 1 July 2019) after I had left.

4) You will not be able to vote.

5) You will have no rights to any Medicare benefits.

6) If you wish to receive the Old Age Pension, you must be in Australia at the starting pension age of 67, depending on your birthdate, as increases in 6 monthly increments to the age of 70, and if you are living outside of Australia and return to Australia after your 67th birthday to claim your Old Age Pension, you must wait for 2 years before you can receive your pension payments overseas.

7) The Australian government just donated $2.8 million (68 million baht) to Thailand's vaccination program, no conditions of subject to all Australian Citizens in Thailand being vaccinated, that in itself should tell you enough about my Government, not to mention the above.

When I was growing up in Australia, I always heard that Australia was the lucky country, make of that what you will, no delusions.

To me the Australian government is nothing different to any corporation you might have worked for, as soon as you leave, they are quick to cancel all things about you, passwords, access etc. It's as if to say we appreciated your service with us, all the best in your future endeavours, don't call us as we don't need you anymore.

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, TigerandDog said:

found out today that I can register without using the app.  My next door neighbour is our village head, and he advised me to go to the community health centre tomorrow and they will register me if I have a pink ID card.  Will post again tomorrow if successful.

As per yesterday's post. Successfully registered at my community health clinic this morning, but a pink ID was a prerequisite. My wife will receive a phone call to advise when to attend at either the clinic or our village community centre for the first jab.

5 hours ago, Skallywag said:

Foreigners make up less than 5% of the population.  Anglo saxon/westerners likely make up less than 1% of the population.

Less than 3% of Thais have received the vaccine to date. 

97% Thai and Non-thai still waiting.  Patience Grasshopper

download.jpeg

Yes, you will be able to get the vaccine when, like Kwai Chang Cain, you can snatch the stone out of the palm of his hand.

• Haha 2

On 5/6/2021 at 2:44 PM, samtam said:

Agree, especially the after the non committal blurb from the CDC today, which is just a tad short on details:

706337072_Screenshot(237).png.001b47f297a54d498fe0e9cf896fd483.png

I think the situation has been clarified. In the press conference yesterday reference was made to Phase 2 which is to begin in June and the registration to which began on Mai 1, and to Phase 3 to take effect in July, and it was made clear that foreigners residing in Thailand can be included in both phases. I think that this is a clear and binding clarification. Let us all wait and see and be optimistic. I am.

• Like 1

On 5/6/2021 at 7:05 AM, mtls2005 said:

There are a lot of hurdles, especially adminstration of the vaccines, but - and this will never happen - a country could make an offer to Thailand of five million doses, a portion of which (up to 20%) would be made available to ex-pats from the country. 

And you think any of us would get any of the 20%?? Me thinks no F'in way. Some official would sell them and build another 25 million baht house for another mia noi ????