Bad news from Seychelles, world most vaccinated country

cclub75

Just now, Aomelia said:

With this numbers your quoting from a Chinese news source Ridiculous 

You seem to have reading comprehension difficulties. Sinovac didn't do any trials in China, all the numbers published are from other countries. There is no Chinese trial data published for Sinovac.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, gearbox said:

You seem to have reading comprehension difficulties. Sinovac didn't do any trials in China, all the numbers published are from other countries. There is no Chinese trial data published for Sinovac.

China apologist is you 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, millymoopoo said:

Correct.!

None of the vaccines prevent infection, they all just reduce the symptoms and shorten the duration of the infection by boosting (or preparing) your immune system.

The western vaccines seem to be better at doing this:

Pfizer 95%
Moderna 95%

Astra Zenneca 87%

Johnson & Johnson 67%

Sinovac 37% to 62% depending on the clinical trial (dubious)

Sputnik 97% claimed, but also dubious as only trialled on small Russian base, and no tests on variants.

As Seychelles uses Sinovac it could go a long way in explaining the surge in cases.

Something for Thais to look forward to.!

It's impossible to compare the various jabs as they were done at different times, in different locations, with different mutations.  In the end, ALL of them keep you out of the ICU and from dying.  But yes, we don't have good clarity into the Chinese or Russian jabs.  Sadly.

• Like 1

The elephant in the living room... The Seychelle has a big problem with obesity.

Obesity Worsens Outcomes from COVID-19

Adults with excess weight are at even greater risk during the COVID-19 pandemic:

http://www.seychellesnewsagency.com/articles/2244/Seychelles+is+the+fattest+country+in+sub-Saharan+Africa%2C+according+to+WHO+report

https://www.cdc.gov/obesity/data/obesity-and-covid-19.html

Seychelle Obesity.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My understanding is that the vaccine does not stop you getting the virus, it reduces the impact. To work, the vaccine fools the body into thinking it has the virus and the body's defence mechanism goes into action. Once the virus has done its job and gone from the body, the immune system has cells that remember the virus and cells which right the virus. Immunity may be the wrong word here. Or perhaps it is misunderstood. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Scott Tracy said:

My understanding is that the vaccine does not stop you getting the virus, it reduces the impact. To work, the vaccine fools the body into thinking it has the virus and the body's defence mechanism goes into action. Once the virus has done its job and gone from the body, the immune system has cells that remember the virus and cells which right the virus. Immunity may be the wrong word here. Or perhaps it is misunderstood. 

Correct.  And it doesn't stop you from getting the virus and passing it on.  I'm guessing some who've been jabbed think they don't have to wear masks or social distance any more.  That's not the case.

• Like 1

On 5/6/2021 at 7:21 AM, Bkk Brian said:

Which variant did they have in China, the original patent?

Ask Fauci,he will know ????

He Patented corona in 2003

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, Scott said:

Even with a large number of cases, is the death rate higher or lower than would be expected?   Is the vaccine helping to prevent serious illness and death?

Exactly.

Covid is like the flu. It will always be around despite us having a vaccine.

There will be new strains each year, just like the flu.

The elderly will probably be vaccinated every year, just like the flu.

People will still die, just like the flu.

But I thought the vaccines were supposed to give us a baseline immunity to this novel virus so that when we enevitably catch it in the future, it doesn't hit us as hard. 

I thought any vaccine (even the Chinese one) was supposed to make it so that hospitalisation, ventilation, and death were at a minimum (just like the flu).

Edited by 2009
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, Trvlr55 said:

To date 62.2% of its population is fully vaccinated

again people are reading into this things that are not said.

nowhere in this article does it state even one case of anyone vaccinated that contracted the virus.

Cases are from people not yet vaccinated... please stop making things up, out of thin air; it does nothing but instill fear.

and as previously noted by several this is not sinovac, but Sinopharm and Covishield a version of AstraZeneca Plc’s shot made under license in India.

From the Bloomberg article:

"Of those cases, 84% are Seychellois and the rest are foreigners, Daniel Lucey, Clinical Professor of Medicine at Dartmouth Geisel School of Medicine, said in a blog post. Just under two thirds of those are either unvaccinated or have only had one dose, and the rest have had two doses, he said."

If my understanding of the English language and my reading ability are up to scratch, it sounds awfully like just over one third had had two doses.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sungod said:

You want to back that up with something?

I see that many countries stop using AstraZeneca as they say "because of blot clots". But I think what countries do is much more important than what they say/write/publish(even in credible news sources). And I see what Thailand DO. It uses AstraZeneca with people older than 60 years old. But old people are most vulnerable to any disease. If "blot clots" were the real reason of not using AZ widely, the old people would also not get it either. Recently the director of Gamaleya Research Institute (that created Sputnik V) have said that AZ is much more safer than mRNA based vaccines like Moderna. So I think that "blot clots" is just a convenient excuse, nothing more.
What is the real reason of not using AZ if it is safe enough? Logically, there can be only one reason of not using it - effectiveness in preventing deaths and infections! But Thailand still uses it with 60+ people. This is the group of people that has extremely high death rate. This demonstrates that AZ is good enough in preventing deaths, but not infections.

2 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

It's impossible to compare the various jabs as they were done at different times, in different locations, with different mutations.  In the end, ALL of them keep you out of the ICU and from dying.  But yes, we don't have good clarity into the Chinese or Russian jabs.  Sadly.

And since I trust neither the Chinese gov’t or the Russians, why would I (or anyone else for that matter) even consider taking either of these vaccines?

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, friendofthai said:

I see that many countries stop using AstraZeneca as they say "because of blot clots". But I think what countries do is much more important than what they say/write/publish(even in credible news sources). And I see what Thailand DO. It uses AstraZeneca with people older than 60 years old. But old people are most vulnerable to any disease. If "blot clots" were the real reason of not using AZ widely, the old people would also not get it either. Recently the director of Gamaleya Research Institute (that created Sputnik V) have said that AZ is much more safer than mRNA based vaccines like Moderna. So I think that "blot clots" is just a convenient excuse, nothing more.
What is the real reason of not using AZ if it is safe enough? Logically, there can be only one reason of not using it - effectiveness in preventing deaths and infections! But Thailand still uses it with 60+ people. This is the group of people that has extremely high death rate. This demonstrates that AZ is good enough in preventing deaths, but not infections.

Thailand will be using AZ for all age groups once it rolls out around June.

We've had a flu vaccine for decades and we still get the flu. What makes people think that a vaccine, produced in a hurry albeit, is going to magically eliminate covid?

I think I'll spend my money on healthy food, good wine and exercise, thank you.

The pharmaceutical companies are right up there with the most evil, greedy and corrupt. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Thailand will be using AZ for all age groups once it rolls out around June.

Thailand have SAID that it will. And as I said, what countries do is much more important than what they say/write/publish(even in credible news sources). Maybe this political statement is another form of excuse. Similar to weekly promises to stop lockdowns and quarantines in 2020.

The problem is not the vaccine, the problem are people who think life is back to normal. Life will not be back to normal. Israel used Pfizer and now & then still has the odd infection.

None of the vaccine will pritect you from infection. All protect you only from severe infection. 

• Like 2

62 % vaccination rate is not herd immunity. You need more than 70 %. The problem is not the vaccine, the problem are people who think life is back to normal. Life will not be back to normal. Israel used Pfizer and now & then still has the odd infection. Yet they vaccinated more ppl than Seychelles.

None of the vaccine will protect you from infection. All protect you only from severe infection. 

4 hours ago, gearbox said:

It was mentioned a few times already that Seychelles don't use Sinovac at all.

True, they used Sinopharm's vaccine, the same type as Sinovac's except Sinopharm is state controlled. The question is, how useful are these old style Chinese vaccines China is pushing on the world. Until China stops hiding information of the origin of the virus, I  trust nothing.

Edited by rabas
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, friendofthai said:

Thailand have SAID that it will. And as I said, what countries do is much more important than what they say/write/publish(even in credible news sources). Maybe this political statement is another form of excuse. Similar to weekly promises to stop lockdowns and quarantines in 2020.

Yes you don't seem to trust anyone at all unless they happen to be your own statements

3 hours ago, Letseng said:

The problem is not the vaccine, the problem are people who think life is back to normal. Life will not be back to normal. Israel used Pfizer and now & then still has the odd infection.

None of the vaccine will pritect you from infection. All protect you only from severe infection. 

True, people in quarantine are tested positive after being fully vaccinated:

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/fully-vaccinated-travellers-test-positive-in-sydney-hotel-quarantine-20210507-p57pt4.html

Theoretically this shouldn't be the case once herd immunity is reached. We are not there yet.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, friendofthai said:

I meant back it up with some evidence....

Like this for example https://www.dw.com/en/astrazeneca-vaccine-can-slow-transmission-of-covid-19-oxford-study-reveals/a-56445809

4 hours ago, l4ml4m said:

Who is idiot enough to use sinovac ?!

Those are dumb people who choose to trust the doctors. I bet they don't have Facebook accounts too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1