Bad news from Seychelles, world most vaccinated country

cclub75

5 minutes ago, cclub75 said:

Let's not forget Maldives ! Another vaccino-disaster.

Population 500 000. Vaccination started in a blast in february. The idea ? Very simple : tourism is everything therefore, full vaccination will make visitors feel safe and they will come back.

They started with Covishield (the AstraZeneca... made in India).

On march 22, they added Sinopharm (China).

Source : https://raajje.mv/99520

75 % of the population (adult) have received 1 dose.

Here is the result :

MALDI.png.b1b5a7bd81f0c8c60cffc76405ce26c2.png

The government imposed a curfew.

Source : https://www.hindustantimes.com/world-news/maldives-imposes-night-curfew-after-steep-jump-in-covid-19-infections-101620292092524.html

Bye bye wet dreams of rich tourists coming back anytime soon...

When will governments learn.  Basic stuff they seem to ignore.  India, Brazil, US, Thailand...ugh.  From that article:

There were large gatherings during the council elections held on April 10, and mass groupings have only increased during Ramadan, with communal prayers being held without any physical distancing in the capital Male.

• Like 1

On 5/6/2021 at 1:03 AM, friendofthai said:

Vaccinating with British AstraZeneca (produced in India) is the main reason for all of the problems. This vaccine only prevents severe symptoms. It does not stop the spread of the disease.
When they vaccinate everyone with Sinovac - the result will be exactly the same as in China - No COVID at all.

Rubbish on both counts.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

52 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

When will governments learn.  Basic stuff they seem to ignore.  India, Brazil, US, Thailand...ugh.  From that article:

There were large gatherings during the council elections held on April 10, and mass groupings have only increased during Ramadan, with communal prayers being held without any physical distancing in the capital Male.

But... but... they told us that the vaccines would save us all, would bring the world as it was before...

No ? Doesn't seem to work that well...

What a pitty. ????

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, cclub75 said:

But... but... they told us that the vaccines would save us all, would bring the world as it was before...

No ? Doesn't seem to work that well...

What a pitty. ????

I think with regards to India, it was political rallies and religious events.  Same with the Maldives. 

16 hours ago, Susco said:

Only an apologist looking for an argument would not see that the graph is from the most official, and most visited, source used on this and other forums frequently.

I have now edited my post to please you.

And yes it is propaganda, because it is not only happening only in Chile also, it is happening all over the world.

I'm sure that if RT had published an article about increasing new cases in the US, between end of March and mid April, you would be on your high horse, and denying it.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

image.png.ddf03c8fb7907b864409206b0edd657d.png

Last week in a different thread you accused me of "looking for an argument".

I think you're projecting.

• Like 1

No one has mentioned any analysis of the results in the Seychelles. So here is mine. First bare in mind that prior to January this year Seychelles had very few cases and only one death, so basically the whole population was vulnerable. Cases started going up in January, BEFORE the vaccination campaign began. 

If the vaccines were totally ineffective, during the current surge vaccinated people would be getting infected as often as unvaccinated people. 60% have been fully vaccinated, but they make up only one third of cases. Also remember some of those people were only vaccinated in the last 2 weeks, so may not have reached full immunity. But unvaccinated people or those with only one shot (40%?) make up two-thirds of the cases. From that you can deduce that vaccinated people are about 3 times less likely to get infected. So Vaccinations do work - to a degree.

What would be useful is to know how many vaccinated people have died of Coronavirus, if any, and which vaccine did they receive? Same for number of cases.

By the way, Seychelles was chosen as a site for early vaccination to provide statistics on how effective vaccination would be in a real world scenario.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, pseudorabies said:

Last week in a different thread you accused me of "looking for an argument".

I think you're projecting.

No I said you were exaggerating, which you are now doing again by make false claims about what I said.

On 5/7/2021 at 8:47 AM, elgenon said:

How does one know what is the truth about anything happening in China? They report what sounds good.

same could be said for most countries ESPECIALLY the USA and the UK.Can't trust anything said in the media these days.

• Sad 1

58 minutes ago, thasoss said:

same could be said for most countries ESPECIALLY the USA and the UK.Can't trust anything said in the media these days.

What?  A very bizarre statement.  Stick with the better media outlets and you'll be fine. 

3 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

Seems these mRNA jabs are the way to go.  I'll pass on the Chinese ones.  And would rather not get the AZ jab.  That means probably September or so for the Pfizer or Moderna jab here in Thailand.  I'm guessing....

If these vaccines are not even ordered yet, how can you expect a September jab? Or did you mean Sept 2022?

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, placnx said:

If these vaccines are not even ordered yet, how can you expect a September jab? Or did you mean Sept 2022?

Yeah, it's not easy figuring out what's going on here.  Seems to change day by day.  Same with the info on the jabs.  One day, the Chinese jab is not OK for those over 60.  The next day, it's OK.  Makes my head spin.

46 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

Yeah, it's not easy figuring out what's going on here.  Seems to change day by day.  Same with the info on the jabs.  One day, the Chinese jab is not OK for those over 60.  The next day, it's OK.  Makes my head spin.

There's a lot of evidence that Sinovac is not useful, especially if the goal is to stop Covid from passing the infection via vaccinated people. Same for Sinopharm. Same antiquated technology.

Edited by placnx
explain sinopharm

22 minutes ago, placnx said:

There's a lot of evidence that Sinovac is not useful, especially if the goal is to stop Covid from passing the infection via vaccinated people. Same for Sinopharm. Same antiquated technology.

This was an interesting study.  Please, read it.  Sounds like the Chinese jab did the trick.

https://www.canadianinquirer.net/2021/05/07/how-a-small-city-in-brazil-may-reveal-how-fast-vaccines-can-curb-covid-19/

2 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

What?  A very bizarre statement.  Stick with the better media outlets and you'll be fine. 

why is that bizarre?....no idea where you come from,but if it's the USA for example do you trust what comes out of NYT,WAPO, ...MSNBC  CNN.If your from the UK...do you trust what the Guardian writes,daily mail, daily express. the BBC. etc.....do they seriously ever  query  governments figures and their narrative on Covid for another example.There is so much misinformation regarding covid,i tend to believe nothing,just use commonsense in trying understand everything.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

This was an interesting study.  Please, read it.  Sounds like the Chinese jab did the trick.

https://www.canadianinquirer.net/2021/05/07/how-a-small-city-in-brazil-may-reveal-how-fast-vaccines-can-curb-covid-19/

The results are tentative and anecdotal. Hopefully the data will be published in a reputable journal. The essential question is the strength of neutralizing antibodies generated by Sinovac vs P.1 variant and how persistent is the effect.  

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, thasoss said:

why is that bizarre?....no idea where you come from,but if it's the USA for example do you trust what comes out of NYT,WAPO, ...MSNBC  CNN.If your from the UK...do you trust what the Guardian writes,daily mail, daily express. the BBC. etc.....do they seriously ever  query  governments figures and their narrative on Covid for another example.There is so much misinformation regarding covid,i tend to believe nothing,just use commonsense in trying understand everything.

You've obviously drank the fake news koolaid.  Too bad.  NYT is one of the finest media sites out there.  Daily Mail, not so much.

Stick with what you read in the NYT and you'll never go wrong.  Opinion pieces excluded.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

Ho, ho, ho....only one step up from the Daily Express...........it is that bad.

Sad times when some can't differentiate between good sites and bad ones.  For me, I definitely avoid pretty much anything from social media.  Richard Barrow excluded! LOL

Let's get some actual data on vaccination coverage and reported deaths with covid (note this does not mean that 100% of these actually died from covid), obtained by plotting data in ourworldindata.com. The death figure is maybe more telling than infections. It is not clear how many of these infections are asymptotic i.e. picked up 'accidently' during contact tracing or random screening. Furthermore, vaccines were originally designed to prevent severe cases (and death) rather than infection. I have chosen a number of countries with a high vaccination coverage (one should include countries with a low coverage also but this results in loads of lines so I have left this out). The first fig shows the % population that has received one dose. The 2nd fig shows % fully vaccinated (usually two doses) whereas the third fig. gives the number of death/million people (Seychelles left out because there have only been 28 deaths). UK uses mainly Pfizer and AZ, US mainly Pfizer and Moderna (ca 60/40), Israel Pfizer only, Uruquay  Sinovac and Pfizer 80/20, Chile Sinovac and others ca. 87/13,  Seychelles Sinopharm and AZ 60/40, UAE Sinopharm, AZ, Sputnik and Pfizer. I have no data on the proportion). Fig. 1 shows that Israel and Seychelles have basically run out of recipients as virtually everyone >16 years     .  UK first dose has slowed down as presently emphasis is on the (delayed) 2nd dose, US has some problems with vaccine hesitancy and Chile/Uruquay started vaccination relatively late. UK uses a much longer interval between first and second dose, which reportedly gives better effectiveness for the AZ vaccine.  An important observation from Chile is that one dose of Sinovac gave very poor protection, quote: 'Chile published its own analysis of the limited efficacy of Sinovac's CoronaVac vaccine on its population last week. The shot was only 16% effective in preventing infection and 36% effective at keeping people out of the hospital after one dose' (https://www.nbcnews.com/news/latino/chile-shifts-covid-vaccine-drive-second-doses-concerns-first-shots-pro-rcna730.). One wonders what the data for two shots are. Chile relaxed restrictions far too early (https://edition.cnn.com/2021/04/15/americas/chile-coronavirus-vaccination-cases-intl/index.html), whereas Uruquay has apparently not had much restrictions at all https://medicalxpress.com/news/2021-04-uruguay-world-record-covid-infection.html. In general, it is difficult to distinguish between effect of restrictions (masks, distancing, etc.) and vaccination unless detailed info is available on sp. age groups (i.e. say over 80s are vaccinated and the death rate falls relatively much quicker than in non-inoculated groups). However, peak death rate in the UK was on Jan 24th -and most of these have been infected several weeks before) whereas as this date vaccination had only reached just 10% and vaccines only become effective after ca 10+ days or so in case of Pfizer and AZ). So the death rate was already falling due to restrictions (as evident also from earlier waves where no vaccine was available). Looking at the third fig, Uraquay and possibly Chile seem to be outliers in terms of deaths but in the case of Uruquay there are few if any restrictions and second doses are low (note comment above on poor effectiveness of Sinovac after one shot). It will be interesting to see what happens in the next two months, also will deaths in for instance the UK will increase again due to more 'advanced' mutants? 

coronavirus-data-explorer (2).jpg

share-people-fully-vaccinated-covid (1) sey.jpg

coronavirus-data-explorer.jpg

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Kiujunn said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2021/05/06/seychelles-vaccines-covid-cases/

(to read, switch off Java script in your browser's site settings and refresh)

You cannot break this pandemic with Sinopharm and AstraZeneca and let tourists in.

(Much less with Sinovac and AZ as Thailand is planning)

Ups...

That rise in cases arrived after something else: the return of tourists to the Seychelles. But so far, the evidence linking the two is unclear.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Kiujunn said:

And which country does this remind me of?

I don't know?

Could it be a country with 6 million unemployment in the tourist sector?

Do the country plan to fine tourist $10 to pass start?

It is not the country with the mandatory 2 weeks prison sentence on arrival, right?

Come on, please tell me?

14 minutes ago, friendofthai said:

Looks like EU has been shocked by the Seychilles` experience of using AstraZeneca. Suddenly "The European Union has not yet made any new orders for AstraZeneca (AZN.L) vaccines beyond June when their contract ends"
https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/eus-breton-eu-did-not-renew-astrazeneca-covid-19-vaccine-order-after-june-2021-05-09/

This has nothing to do with the Seychelles. Read the article. Please.

• Like 1