Covid 19 Vaccination for expats.

This is an extract from a copy of Consular Replies response to my email in January:-   

"Thank you for your enquiry of 16/01/2021.

The UK government are exploring vaccine options for people in the UK and their response to vaccine development is available to read on GOV.UK.

If you live in Thailand, you will need to approach the Thai authorities for their decisions about vaccines and how they might be developed and  administered."
That was not very helpful when dealing with a pandemic. I read recently that the Honorable Ambassador is going to approach the Thai Authorities on the subject of vaccinations for UK Expats.
Will we Expats ever receive any feedback from the Honorable Ambassador?

1 minute ago, theoldgit said:

Like this you mean? 

"We also understand that the the Thai government has said that Covid 19 Vaccines will only be offered to Thai nationals at this time.

The UK Ambassador is raising this as a matter of urgency with the Prime Minister, as well as the Minister of Health. He is asking for clarity on the government policy and for equal access to vaccines for all residents of Thailand, Thai or foreign. Again, we will update the Forum when there is any new information"

No, not quite like that because not only is the current ambassador ending his term here imminently, this kind of solo intervention is unlikely to be effective.I'd obviously like to be wrong on that.What is needed is a concerted diplomatic demarche involving key countries (UK, European states,USA,Japan,India, South Africa, Brazil, Australia , New Zealand etc) with significant expatriate populations in Thailand.Thai ambassadors should be called by the Foreign Ministers in their host countries.

I'm not saying this has come to now.The next few weeks will make the situation clearer and my hunch is there will be a satisfactory outcome.Incidentally valuable though the Consular Departments presence on this forum is, they should disabuse themselves that the forum reaches all British expatriates, I would imagine only a minority.

Can't really see what the British Embassy can achieve on their own as mentioned a concerted effort by all Embassies is needed 

But as I suspect it will be you go to a Private hospital when they receive the vaccines as the Government are for Thais only first 

Which is their priority

4 minutes ago, recom273 said:

From what I gather from friends back home and on my wife’s fb, they have already been vaccinated systematically and without prejudice. 

I would really like to hear a response from the embassy regarding this matter.

Wouldn't we all.... hey ambassador, what are you doing for us?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Personally what I have been doing is uploading news articles on my Facebook page where I have a huge following, and a lot of friends that come and have come to Thailand.

All I am doing is telling it for what it is and ALL of them are up in arms, saying back home everyone is included, regardless of status, race or religion and how racist Thailand has become towards foreigners, from a few of the comments that I have received a lot have said they won't come here, they will either go to Cambodia or Bali or Vietnam, I am not one to want to dampen the Thai's future tourism plans, as they are doing a good job on that themselves.

I did however asked ALL of my friends on Facebook to share the post, and they have taken to that like flies to dog poo.

Nothing wrong with stating the truth now is there.

On 5/6/2021 at 10:41 AM, shackleton said:

Can't really see what the British Embassy can achieve on their own as mentioned a concerted effort by all Embassies is needed 

But as I suspect it will be you go to a Private hospital when they receive the vaccines as the Government are for Thais only first 

Which is their priority

The UK embassy/ambassador can inform the Thai interior ministry that the UK are watching closely the expat inoculation programme within Thailand. If the only vaccination offered is to be paid for.. ie not given free within the nation this will be taken seriously as Thais within the UK are given free vaccines without question.

If this does not happen then future talks will be a little frosty, especially where trade is concerned and tariffs etc... time to get tough.

• Like 1

On 5/6/2021 at 11:05 AM, hotchilli said:

Wouldn't we all.... hey ambassador, what are you doing for us?

Correct...all of our Thai friends in North London have now received their Second dose...and are happy...Program is/was based on age priority Not Status.......health emergency personnel and over 80s first...then working downwards ...all equally and ....without prejudice...Now its the youngsters turn....Asked when they might return for a holiday....errr... maybe next year...

• Thanks 2

On 5/13/2021 at 4:33 AM, Rinrada said:

Correct...all of our Thai friends in North London have now received their Second dose...and are happy..

So all your Thai friends in North London are either over the age of 50 or in one of the priority groups due to their health or occupation?

As said in another topic, the UK government via the ambassador has made representations to the Thai government; which seem to have had some effect.

Though other sources would indicate that the Thai government are ambivalent on the matter.

But the UK government cannot force the Thai government to it's will; the days of gunboat diplomacy are long gone.

On 5/6/2021 at 10:13 AM, jayboy said:

No, not quite like that because not only is the current ambassador ending his term here imminently, this kind of solo intervention is unlikely to be effective.I'd obviously like to be wrong on that.What is needed is a concerted diplomatic demarche involving key countries (UK, European states,USA,Japan,India, South Africa, Brazil, Australia , New Zealand etc) with significant expatriate populations in Thailand.Thai ambassadors should be called by the Foreign Ministers in their host countries.

I'm not saying this has come to now.The next few weeks will make the situation clearer and my hunch is there will be a satisfactory outcome.Incidentally valuable though the Consular Departments presence on this forum is, they should disabuse themselves that the forum reaches all British expatriates, I would imagine only a minority.

Thanks for making this point about the reach of this forum, jayboy. We know that it does not reach all British expats in Thailand but it is read by many. We also use Facebook and Twitter, and of course our own Travel Advice pages are important, but we are now looking at developing our comms channels further. If you have ideas we'd love to hear them. 

12 hours ago, British Consular Team said:

Thanks for making this point about the reach of this forum, jayboy. We know that it does not reach all British expats in Thailand but it is read by many. We also use Facebook and Twitter, and of course our own Travel Advice pages are important, but we are now looking at developing our comms channels further. If you have ideas we'd love to hear them. 

I know the BE doesn't keep a register of British expatriates but it would be relatively easy to set up.In the Bangkok Post today it was reported  that "The French community in Thailand has around 35,000 people, 13,000 of whom are registered with the embassy". The British community is larger but I should think the take up would be similar to that of the French, say one third.This would at least be a base.

British Chamber/British Club I'm sure are on your radar. Thai Visa overlaps but also covers the blue collar/Isaan boondocks/Pattaya demographic in the way BCCT/BC don't.Community minded Brits in main centres could be asked to help out .

• Like 1

On 5/16/2021 at 8:42 PM, British Consular Team said:

Try asking for passport  number and email would be a start ????

10 minutes ago, British Consular Team said:

Sorry, we don't understand this point. If you could explain, we'd be happy to answer. 

I think the ref was that the online apps type of registrations at the moment will not allow expats to register using a passport/email or other method of ID.... ie Thais only

As for myself being outside of Bangkok, Phuket, Pattaya, Chiang Mai I'm starting to feel as though I don't even exist.

Nakhon pathom has no info regarding expats what-so-ever.

9 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

I think the ref was that the online apps type of registrations at the moment will not allow expats to register using a passport/email or other method of ID.... ie Thais only

As for myself being outside of Bangkok, Phuket, Pattaya, Chiang Mai I'm starting to feel as though I don't even exist.

Nakhon pathom has no info regarding expats what-so-ever.

Got it - thank you! We continue to discuss the issue of registration (at this level of detail) with the MoPH as part of our lobbying for equal access to vaccines for all residents of Thailand, Thai or foreign.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, British Consular Team said:

Sorry, we don't understand this point. If you could explain, we'd be happy to answer. 

Answered by the next poster a simple app change to allow expat registration ( even thise with Pink Thai ID's cannot register ) or registration via Facebook or use immigration database for the majority that have visas

Edited by krobert6

You might like to take a look at this if you need examples of us being proactive. I'd be happy to provide more detail if needed too. And on the subject of vaccines, this

Read my emails and you will see "equal access" is not happening.  I have Thai pink ID, Yellow Tabien Ban visited local clinic and hospital answer - NO you are not Thai cannot do ATM.  So your "proactive" approach is NOT working

Edited by krobert6
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

You might like to take a look at this if you need examples of us being proactive. I'd be happy to provide more detail if needed too. And on the subject of vaccines, this

That is the same message you sent last week

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, krobert6 said:

"A vaccination program for the Chinese has begun in Bangkok." has just been posted on Thaivisa.  And what is the UK government doing ?

It's not the UK governments job to provide you with healthcare or a vaccination. 

But, the British Embassy will be lobbying the Thai Government to ensure British Nationals are also vaccinated alongside Thai’s. 

Too many people misunderstand the purpose of their Embassies - its not to baby sit its citizens who chose to move away.

Can the Chinese Embassy really vaccinate 100,000 Chinese quickly ??? can the embassy even accommodate more than 1000 people per day ? (that would be a vaccination every 30 seconds) and it would still take more than 2 months, even if all the Chinese citizens from around the country could get to Bangkok. 

We don’t hear much from the Chinese community on this forum, but if we could, we would hear that this is a huge total cluster £$%k.... 

For any Embassy vaccinating more than a few hundreds people is wholly impractical and it needs to look towards assisting the local government rather than taking its own path. 

The UK Embassy is best placed to assist with bringing in vaccines for the whole of Thailand rather than trying to individually vaccinate its citizens which would be an impossible undertaking, fraught with criticism and huge pitfalls. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

It's not the UK governments job to provide you with healthcare or a vaccination. 

But, the British Embassy will be lobbying the Thai Government to ensure British Nationals are also vaccinated alongside Thai’s. 

Too many people misunderstand the purpose of their Embassies - its not to baby sit its citizens who chose to move away.

Can the Chinese Embassy really vaccinate 100,000 Chinese quickly ??? can the embassy even accommodate more than 1000 people per day ? (that would be a vaccination every 30 seconds) and it would still take more than 2 months, even if all the Chinese citizens from around the country could get to Bangkok. 

We don’t hear much from the Chinese community on this forum, but if we could, we would hear that this is a huge total cluster £$%k.... 

For any Embassy vaccinating more than a few hundreds people is wholly impractical and it needs to look towards assisting the local government rather than taking its own path. 

The UK Embassy is best placed to assist with bringing in vaccines for the whole of Thailand rather than trying to individually vaccinate its citizens which would be an impossible undertaking, fraught with criticism and huge pitfalls. 

I was not suggesting that they vaccinate citizens.  They have already stated that The ambassador has confirmation or "Equal Access" has been agreed - This is not happening WHY ?

1 hour ago, krobert6 said:

"A vaccination program for the Chinese has begun in Bangkok." has just been posted on Thaivisa.  And what is the UK government doing ?

Changing the guard?

• Like 1