Health official confirms Covid tests and treatment free of charge - for Thais

webfact

1pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

A leading figure in Thai Health has told the Thai people they will receive free tests, free treatment - everything is free - when it comes to Covid-19.

And hospitals that try to charge can have their directors jailed.

Tharet Kratnairawiwong, director of the Health Service Support Department, told Daily News that everything from tests, to medicine, rooms, doctors' equipment, ambulances is free.

Even follow up treatment for those who suffer symptoms from Covid jabs is covered.

And all this is true of both government and private sector hospitals.

Hospitals can get their money back through the Universal Healthcare scheme - the so called Gold Card - who then apply to a special fund. 

Of course you have to be Thai - expats have been up in arms in the last couple of days with suggestions that they'll even be at the back of the queue for jabs.

Many are prepared to pay but the jabs at private hospitals has seen delay after delay. 

Tharet said the law - specifically Article 66 was clear. 

Everything when it comes to Covid-19 was free with those that break the law being sent to prison for three years and fined 40,000 baht. 

logo.thumb.jpg.58700f12f9218149b3e2f82126b72e4d.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-05-06

7 minutes ago, overherebc said:

What message is Thaivisa trying to convey to expats here???

nothing new 

foreigners living here are fine and loved as long as they have their wallet open 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, overherebc said:

What message is Thaivisa trying to convey to expats here???

That you need insurance like normal people ?

Or that you need to be working in Thailand and paying into the SO fund to get benefits.

That your responsible for your own healthcare

• Thanks 1

Is that a free and available test only if you can prove that you shared a bed with a known covid positive person for a few nights!!  

Turning up with a minor fever ache and pains, cough and general fatigue probably still doesnt meet the free test criteria unless the policy of the last year has finally been reversed.

3 hours ago, thequietman said:

One would assume that if you work here and have a social security card - you would get free treatment, or am I thinking outside the box!

... or dreaming. probably both!

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Tharet Kratnairawiwong, director of the Health Service Support Department, told Daily News that everything from tests, to medicine, rooms, doctors' equipment, ambulances is free.

Didn't the governor of Phuket recently say that tests would be charged to everyone including Thais later this month?

5 hours ago, webfact said:

And hospitals that try to charge can have their directors jailed.

And so how does this apply to the Moderna thread where hospitals say they will charge 3000 baht per shot.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, robblok said:

That you need insurance like normal people ?

Or that you need to be working in Thailand and paying into the SO fund to get benefits.

That your responsible for your own healthcare

You don't have a bl@@dy clue!

Normal people ... what are they then? Those that are not working here but on a Non-Imm O or Retirement Visa? Those that cannot afford insuranc for valid reasons? Get a life and stop your generalisations! Everyone has different circumstances that you know nothing about. Are we then, in your eyes, abnormal?

Edited by rtco
grammar
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

16 minutes ago, rtco said:

You don't have a bl@@dy clue!

Normal people ... what are they then? Those that are not working here but on a Non-Imm O or Retirement Visa? Those that cannot afford insuranc for valid reasons? Get a life and stop your generalisations! Everyone has different circumstances that you know nothing about. Are we then, in your eyes, abnormal?

If you can't afford healthcare or insurance you should not be here. Period. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

A leading figure in Thai Health has told the Thai people they will receive free tests, free treatment - everything is free - when it comes to Covid-19.

Flip-Flop. Flip-Flop
Announcements change daily from those at the top.
Flip-Flop Flip-Flop

6 hours ago, webfact said:

And all this is true of both government and private sector hospitals.

Hmm, I guess one of the private hospitals in Bkk didn't know this.  A Thai friend of mine has just finished paying 4500/day for 9 days of treatment for Covid. Go figure. They spent the first night at a free gov't  hospital and thought it best to find something safer!

3 minutes ago, connda said:

Dude hasn't reached the age where his insurance premiums increase 10 fold until the day comes when he makes a significant claim and the insurance company drops him.  Then he goes out to the open market where he's refused insurance, or if he's able to buy a super-expensive policy it is so full of exclusions as to be worthless.
Some younger or more fortunate folk sit on the moral high-ground and look down on others who are just attempting to live their lives and in their relative youth and superiority believes it can never happen to them. 

"If you can't shell out for a worthless policy here then go home! Ha ha ha."  Blah blah blah. It's a worn and thread-bare troll meant to laud oneself as somehow superior to others.

Has nothing to do with youngsters or fortunate folk, you cannot expect an other country to pick up your healthcare costs. You either make sure you have insurance or you make sure you got enough money. 

I am certainly not superior and lost money on insurance but that is it if you live in an other country you need a health insurance. If you cannot get one and cannot pay for your own stays then you just are not eligible to be here. 

Bunch of entitled greybeards keep saying otherwise. 

2 minutes ago, robblok said:

Has nothing to do with youngsters or fortunate folk, you cannot expect an other country to pick up your healthcare costs. You either make sure you have insurance or you make sure you got enough money. 

I am certainly not superior and lost money on insurance but that is it if you live in an other country you need a health insurance. If you cannot get one and cannot pay for your own stays then you just are not eligible to be here. 

Bunch of entitled greybeards keep saying otherwise. 

"Bunch of entitled greybeards keep saying otherwise."

I rest my case, sonny!

Just now, connda said:

"Bunch of entitled greybeards keep saying otherwise."

I rest my case, sonny!

Good thing your not a lawyer, you would have lost. Every country in the world you would pay for healthcare either through taxes or other ways. Why would it be different iN Thailand. Its a poor country no need for them to help expats who CHOOSE to be here.

And you were the one who is entitled and making a comment on age. So you started it. 

So do explain to me why you should be entitled to Thai healthcare as your not a Thai and have not paid into the system (VAT does not count) wages do. Why do you think you should be entitled to take away money from the underfunded Thai healthcare. 

In my country people pay from their income tax and have a separate insurance. 

• Sad 1

25 minutes ago, robblok said:

What about the Covid insurance policies that insurance companies now say they won't pay out on, because there are too many covid patients?

• Like 1

Just now, hotchilli said:

What about the Covid insurance policies that insurance companies now say they won't pay out on, because there are too many covid patients?

That was not what they said the honor their old agreements just not take on new ones. Do represent the news correctly.

Anyway if you paid for something you should get service seems clear enough to me. So insurance should pay. If they see it cost them too much and they change it for next year its a good right.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, connda said:
20 minutes ago, robblok said:

14 minutes ago, connda said:

Dude hasn't reached the age where his insurance premiums increase 10 fold until the day comes when he makes a significant claim and the insurance company drops him.  Then he goes out to the open market where he's refused insurance, or if he's able to buy a super-expensive policy it is so full of exclusions as to be worthless.
Some younger or more fortunate folk sit on the moral high-ground and look down on others who are just attempting to live their lives and in their relative youth and superiority believes it can never happen to them. 

"If you can't shell out for a worthless policy here then go home! Ha ha ha."  Blah blah blah. It's a worn and thread-bare troll meant to laud oneself as somehow superior to others.

Thanks @connda I will also like to add that seeking and/or accepting medical care is not compulsory. Everyone has the right to say 'no thank you'. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Thanks @connda I will also like to add that seeking and/or accepting medical care is not compulsory. Everyone has the right to say 'no thank you'. 

Indeed, totally agree. Nobody can force it upon you and if you can't pay for it then don't take it. It was the choice of the person who lives here to ride a car buy a house but forget about healthcare. Because its too expensive. Then when the day comes that they need it they moan like crazy.

If you don't want to insure put money away and hope that its enough. But plenty of expats have money for a car rent g/f's and alcohol. But something like healthcare they want someone else pick up the tab.

They then reason if anything happens i fly home so i don't need it never stepping into a policy or putting money to the side then moan when someone points that out to them. 

At the same time those guys are often commenting on how financially bad Thais are ????

Face it most Thais are far poorer and you want to steal from their healthcare. Not really a fair thing to do. 

• Sad 1

21 minutes ago, robblok said:

That was not what they said the honor their old agreements just not take on new ones. Do represent the news correctly.

Anyway if you paid for something you should get service seems clear enough to me. So insurance should pay. If they see it cost them too much and they change it for next year its a good right.

So the policy I bought last year which is about to expire & I cannot buy a new policy because the insurance companies don't like the odds of having to pay out leaves me without Covid cover...

What happens if I get Covid in Thailand [as I can't get a vaccine] ??????

• Like 2

1 minute ago, hotchilli said:

So the policy I bought last year which is about to expire & I cannot buy a new policy because the insurance companies don't like the odds of having to pay out leaves me without Covid cover...

What happens if I get Covid in Thailand [as I can't get a vaccine] ??????

I am pretty sure there will be more expensive policies, seems logical. They just can't do it against the previous price. In case you have not noticed the risk went up. That is what insurance companies do they check risk and then set a premium. 

Im sure that there are insurances available just not as cheap as last time and that is a result from the fact that it is going to cost them more. 

• Confused 2