Violent phoo yai ban: Inquiry set up and victim goes to Surat Thani police

webfact

2pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

There were developments in the case of a phoo yai ban (local village leader) in southern Thailand who went to the office of a woman who is owed money by his daughter and attacked her.

It was all caught on CCTV before Khajorn Sawetwech was dragged away. 

He said he was furious after Sirirak, 39, called his wife wanting her money back.

The incident received widespread attention on Thai social media especially as Khajorn should be a responsible local leader.

Yesterday Somchai Reuangjan, the district chief of Kanchanadit, told Daily News he had set up a three person panel to investigate what happened.

He promised justice for all. 

Sirirak went to the Muang Surat Thani police to file a complaint for assault. 

They are waiting on medical reports before proceeding, standard practice in Thailand.

She said that while her injuries did not draw blood it was over the top and she was scared. 

Debts were one thing but hurtful words and violent conduct like this needed addressing, she suggested. 

logo.thumb.jpg.58700f12f9218149b3e2f82126b72e4d.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-05-06

7 hours ago, bluesofa said:

I'm not certain about that.

IIRC wasn't it another woman who was running the Ponzi scheme, the woman attacked had only lent the money.

I wait for someone to correct me on that though.

Nope, i believe it was Thai share game and the daughter and the woman were members/ shareholders (Luk Mu) or one of them (most likely the daughter) was the Leader (Thao) and ran off with (borrowed) the money she was supposed to be safeguarding (typical). The share game is very popular in Thai culture but often ends in dispute as shareholders often don't pay up. For more info you can google. "Thailand's Share Game"

On 5/6/2021 at 10:08 AM, smedly said:

amazing that people just stand there and look on as this lady gets a beating from a coward

Mandated social distancing. Nothing they could do but stand by and call out "Su-su!"

On 5/5/2021 at 10:08 PM, smedly said:

amazing that people just stand there and look on as this lady gets a beating from a coward

Maybe they got cheated by her, too. 

I'm not generally a proponent of violence, but I do grudgingly admire the Thai culture of taking justice into their own hands when the cops can't or won't do anything.

Or the guy may just be a whackadoodle.  Hard to tell from the CCTV, but I'm pretty sure there's more background we don't have.  And some people have a whooping coming to them, regardless of gender.

On 5/6/2021 at 10:08 AM, smedly said:

Don't see that, there's a guy between them right from the start.

Not to mention one on one doesn't seem all that cowardly to me, strong independent Thai women can fight.