Retired army major killed after driving wrong way on motorcycle

webfact

3pm.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

A retired army major paid with his life after going the wrong way coming back from getting dinner at the market in Prachinburi, central Thailand, last night. 

He cut in front of a pick-up.

Pol Lt-Col Jumphon Tharitdeesuk and rescue services were called to the accident on the Khokmakok - Dongbang road in Muang district.

Dead at the scene having suffered head trauma and leg injuries was Maj Phaisan, aged 64.

His relatives said that he would have been going the wrong way down the road on his Yamaha after going to the market, reported Thai Rath. He was close to home.

Behind the wheel of the Isuzu that was carrying fruit was Rangsiman, aged 24, who was with his family.

He confirmed that the man on the bike was going the wrong way and cut in front of him giving him no chance to avoid a collision.

Muang Prachinburi police are studying CCTV to confirm this was the case. 

logo.thumb.jpg.58700f12f9218149b3e2f82126b72e4d.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-05-06

37 minutes ago, webfact said:

He confirmed that the man on the bike was going the wrong way and cut in front of him giving him no chance to avoid a collision.

I think he means the motorbike was coming straight at him.

regards Worgeordie

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Maj Phaisan, aged 64.

RIP.  I honesty think NOBODY over 50 should be on a motorbike.

if you are retired, I hope you can afford a car.  

Humans slow down.  Eyes get worse, reflexes fail, the brain thinks more...

• Sad 8

1 hour ago, natway09 said:

You see this thousands of times a day, driving up the wrong way, including the police, who consider it an art form

yes, far too much of it goes on, ignored by the Police,  and its a recipe for a crash.  I have only narrowly missed colliding with several motorbikes on the wrong side of the road. It feels like only a matter of time and luck. 

• Like 2

Everyday, everwhere, everytime. Wrong way driving is as commonplace as no helmet,no seatbelts, no turn signals, no enforcement and no consequence...except in this sad instance. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, whaleboneman said:

I have a scooter and a Triumph Bonnie 650 and I'm thinking about buying another bike for my 67th birthday. Glad you're not in charge or driving rules.

Yes I am 73 made my license(at 18) for car, truck, bike driven on the left side of the road, on the right side of the road driven in Europe Australia Thailand never ever had an accident let alone a speeding or parking ticket. Don't listen to that BS

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Benmart said:

Everyday, everwhere, everytime. Wrong way driving is as commonplace as no helmet,no seatbelts, no turn signals, no enforcement and no consequence...except in this sad instance. 

I was  reading  a post  last  night on facebook where a  woman showed a  photo of her own head  split  open, said a  car hit a  traffic  cone which she then drove into coming the other way. The result was she came off her bike gashing her  head.

The  funny part though was her saying she wanted to find the  car who hit the cone and why dont people  take responsibility for their actions.

I  commented a  good  quality helmet would  have saved her head form the   injury, but that would mean she should  have  to have taken responisibilty for her head.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

If they want to risk their life it's up to him and every Thai that does the same. They rarely kill anyone other than themselves and it's their country and they'll do things the Thai way. 

But  the family  will soon be  there asking for  money to  cremate them from the other  party even when 100%  not at  fault.

3 hours ago, Rampant Rabbit said:
13 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

If they want to risk their life it's up to him and every Thai that does the same. They rarely kill anyone other than themselves and it's their country and they'll do things the Thai way. 

But  the family  will soon be  there asking for  money to  cremate them from the other  party even when 100%  not at  fault.

Yes. bizarre, isn't it. My sister-in-law a few weeks ago was driving a school van and killed a woman the same age as the subject of this thread as - which CCTV confirmed - she pulled out of a side road and looked only one way as she crossed over the main road. Looking both ways was too much trouble and it cost her her life. My wife goes quiet when I ask if 'compensation' had to be paid, because she knows my view on such absurdity.

2 hours ago, scammed said:

bicyclists has a scary habit of driving the wrong way,

and they are even harder to spot than a motorcycle

My apologies. When I ride a bicycle in Thailand, I ride on the right side so I can see who's trying to run me down. So far, never got stopped by police. But I will gladly pay the fine if caught.

• Sad 1

50 minutes ago, whaleboneman said:

My apologies. When I ride a bicycle in Thailand, I ride on the right side so I can see who's trying to run me down. So far, never got stopped by police. But I will gladly pay the fine if caught.

you are difficult to spot, and doubly so when you come from a completely unexpected direction.

its not really ticket you should worry about,

its being run down by someone who never saw you coming. many bicyclists then double down on not having any light on,

things would help if you have it switched on at all times, both front and end,

and even better yet another light that flashes like an ambulance, alerting everyone in the surrounding about the hazard

Edited by scammed
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, whaleboneman said:

I have a scooter and a Triumph Bonnie 650 and I'm thinking about buying another bike for my 67th birthday. Glad you're not in charge or driving rules.

how many bikes can you ride at the same time then? 

19 hours ago, Ventenio said:

RIP.  I honesty think NOBODY over 50 should be on a motorbike.

if you are retired, I hope you can afford a car.  

Humans slow down.  Eyes get worse, reflexes fail, the brain thinks more...

I disagree not yet 50 got a car and a motorbike. I prefer the motorbike for quick shopping. If you know what your doing and look out motorbikes are not that dangerous. I have been riding a bike almost all my life so its second nature to me. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

how many bikes can you ride at the same time then? 

Different bikes have their different uses and fun. Its not just transport for some they like to tour on them. A 650cc is great for touring less so for shopping. I take it you have different sets of clothes too. Do you wear those all at the same time ? I got gym clothes for in the gym, clothes for going out and leisure clothes. 

Not sure why you judge someone for having more then one bike. I used to have 2 bikes a scooter and a 650cc ninja. In the end i sold the ninja as touring was not my thing and it was too big for shopping and not too much storage.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, robblok said:

Different bikes have their different uses and fun. Its not just transport for some they like to tour on them. A 650cc is great for touring less so for shopping. I take it you have different sets of clothes too. Do you wear those all at the same time ? I got gym clothes for in the gym, clothes for going out and leisure clothes. 

Not sure why you judge someone for having more then one bike. I used to have 2 bikes a scooter and a 650cc ninja. In the end i sold the ninja as touring was not my thing and it was too big for shopping and not too much storage.

fair enough, not judging.

I just have one type of clothes, T shirt and shorts, albeit,  more than one set of each.  

Edited by Pilotman
  • Like 1