Retired army major killed after driving wrong way on motorcycle

webfact

19 hours ago, Ventenio said:

RIP.  I honesty think NOBODY over 50 should be on a motorbike.

if you are retired, I hope you can afford a car.  

Humans slow down.  Eyes get worse, reflexes fail, the brain thinks more...

Speak for yourself. I am fine riding a motorcycle, bicycle, kayaking, playing tennis, and some other stuff at 77. And I have two cars. You make your choices in life and the rest of us will make ours. Somebody said once as they were about to die, “If I knew when I was going to die, I would have lived my life more fully.” And that is my mantra. When I was was 71 I rode from Phuket to Cambodia, and also Phuket to Kuala Lumpur. I enjoy life on all its levels. Take some risks and you’ll find out who you really are under that skin. Enjoy it all.

• Like 2

On 5/6/2021 at 8:14 PM, scammed said:

you are difficult to spot, and doubly so when you come from a completely unexpected direction.

its not really ticket you should worry about,

its being run down by someone who never saw you coming. many bicyclists then double down on not having any light on,

things would help if you have it switched on at all times, both front and end,

and even better yet another light that flashes like an ambulance, alerting everyone in the surrounding about the hazard

I can look after myself and don't care if you can spot me or not. I am the one that will spot you when you are heading for me and I can then take evasive action. It's the same principle as walking facing traffic. Perhaps not for everyone but it has saved me a couple of times.

On 5/6/2021 at 5:08 PM, Pilotman said:

yes, far too much of it goes on, ignored by the Police,  and its a recipe for a crash.  I have only narrowly missed colliding with several motorbikes on the wrong side of the road. It feels like only a matter of time and luck. 

I've got two separate camera systems in my car, one is a normal forward facing dashcam (the backup). . . the other is my own design, it has forward facing, rear and interior cameras, and the video feed is streamed over 4G to a server in Singapore, which is also mirrored to another server in my office for redundancy. . .

If I ever kill one of these morons, I'll be able to prove who's fault it was, and if anyone tries to tamper with the cameras after the fact, I'll have of a video of that too.

There are no commercially available systems that do this, but I'm an IT consultant and have the skills to make it all work. It was costly to set this arrangement up, but it gives me great peace of mind. I can also see the kids getting picked up from school, live from my office, and it makes my wife feel safe too.

PM me if you want the schematics.

Edited by Led Lolly Yellow Lolly
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, whaleboneman said:

I can look after myself and don't care if you can spot me or not. I am the one that will spot you when you are heading for me and I can then take evasive action. It's the same principle as walking facing traffic. Perhaps not for everyone but it has saved me a couple of times.

if it comes to it, you cant evade, either,

i was cut by a car, there was no time to react, period,

she wouldnt have cut me if she had seen me, but alas