Strong disagreement in long cabinet meeting to discuss THAI airways future, says Thai media

webfact

18 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

Thai is owned by Finance Ministry (Government), Thai NVDR company Ltd 99.98% owned by the Stock Exchange Thailand, Government Savings bank,  Vayupak Fund 1 MFC started by the Government and major shareholder is Government Savings Bank, Vayupak Fund 1 Krungthai bank,  etc etc etc. So what do all of these major share holders have? Correct! And what do these shareholders all have in common, they are all intertwined in each others companies as investors. Look farther and there are dormant shell companies set up and of course that is the tip of the tough feed iceberg. All smoke and mirrors. Anyway, I like Thai Airways for domestic travel, so I hope it survives. How they can say itr is not a State owned enterprise is beyond me.

They think everyone is blind to their games.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, webfact said:

The beleaguered and former state enterprise is due to enter rehabilitation but there was reportedly strong disagreement in a two hour cabinet meeting yesterday.

Former state enterprise .... hmmmmm?

It must be so comforting then to now be a "private enterprise" with the full backing of the government willing to back your bankrupt business to the tune of 25 billion baht.

• Thanks 1

Very obvious and predictable strategy here. They were always simply stalling until tourism kicked in again and they should start making money again.

The entire thing is a charade, though their foreign creditors are the only serious parties. 

The Thai bankruptcy court could not care less and all these powerful Sino Thais will be conspiring to stall the proceedings until the pandemic is over and large numbers of tourists return.

They have no other strategy.

• Thanks 1

There's no way they will let it die.

It's the perfect vehicle for transferring funds from taxpayers into the trough. It's an absolute goldmine for those involved. 

Expect various convoluted schemes to bail it out with public money while appearing not to bail it out with public money.

Personally I will never use them again, even in the extremely unlikely event that they start to offer competitively priced flights like they did a couple of decades ago.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, hotchilli said:

They think everyone is blind to their games.

Yes the have all the nice cards in their hands while the people have jokers. They will not allow it to sink as the things underlying we cannot talk about. I for one want it to succeed as is my choice of airlines to fly domestically, and before CV-19 I flew a lot. To a big sense yes, the people are sort of blind for how intricate the feeding trough is set up.

• Like 1

A post with content that was copy and pasted from Bloomberg without a supporting link has been removed:

14) You will not post any copyrighted material except as fair use laws apply (as in the case of news articles). Please only post a link, the headline and the first three sentences.

2 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Facts:

Total liabilities of at least $11 billion (USD) (other unconfirmed sources say as much as double that est. 550-600 billion baht)

Record loss of 141 billion baht last year

Share price down 45% since April 16 2021

The plan needs more than 50% of creditors to accept, which at the moment is unrealistic as most creditors will be facing financial difficulties themselves and will not be able to survive for the lengthy periods Thai Airways proposes not to pay its debts. 

It's a perfect storm and I am of the opinion it is unsalvageable. Massive loss of face for this administration and they will do anything to try and save it including bankrupt the country. Remember, they don't want their legacy or their proprietor's legacy to be that they let Thai Airways die.

Out with the old and in with the new. Change is inevitable, embrace it. 

I think if the right buyer came with the right deal that the creditors would rather deal that way then see the company go bankrupt and lose a lot of money.  Creditors would rather see dimes on the dollar than pennies.

The catch is that whoever takes it over has to do so without the government or government banks having more that 10% of the shares.

There are people that can do it but they have to want to do it.