UK student visa based on Thailand TR visa

Hello, my daughter (Indian passport) will be visiting Thailand from the U.S on a 60 days TR visa. She wants to apply for UK student visa as she already got an offer letter for studying masters degree from a UK university. I would like to know if it would be possible to apply as she is unable to fly to India due to COVID. Thanks for your help.

She can apply online from within Thailand and submit her biometric details from here as well.

There could be an issue though as she’d have to deposit with the Visa Application Centre whilst her application is being processed, which would mean that she couldn’t comply with the requirement that she should have it with her at all times or at have it readily available.

There is an option for some applicants to retain their passport whilst the application is processed, I’m not sure that she falls into that category.

There is also the danger that a decision hasn’t been made before she leaves Thailand.

The short answer is yes she could apply here, but it’s not without risk, she certainly doesn’t need to apply from India.

55 minutes ago, atitex said:

Thank you very much for your valuable input. Is it because of COVID that she can apply ?

No, UK visa applications can be made from wherever you are legally living.

Applications are processed centrally.

I'm not sure she can apply in Thailand. She could apply if she was living here, or resident here, but, as a tourist, I'm not sure. The guidance (https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/where-to-apply-ecb05/ecb5-where-to-apply-the-policy) says :

1. Applications for short-term visas, EEA family permits, Tier 5 (Creative and Sporting), Tier 5 (Youth Mobility Scheme) and Global Talent

You can make applications for a visit visa, a short-term study visa, an EEA family permit, Tier 5 (Creative and Sporting), Tier 5 (Youth Mobility Scheme) and Global Talent entry clearance in any visa application centre, British diplomatic mission or consular post overseas where entry clearance applications are accepted.

You should be present legally in the country or territory you’re applying from.

Find a visa application centre.

2. Applications for other entry clearance

Applications for other types of entry clearance should be made in the country in which you are living.

Where there is no post in the country where you live, you should make the application to the appropriate application post.

• Like 1

Thank you . Oh I see. She will be on 60 days tourist visa in Bangkok. The other day I went to VFS Bangkok and the person there told that she can apply, the reason he gave is because of COVID . I am so confused now. Kindly enlighten me on this. 

6 hours ago, atitex said:

Thank you . Oh I see. She will be on 60 days tourist visa in Bangkok. The other day I went to VFS Bangkok and the person there told that she can apply, the reason he gave is because of COVID . I am so confused now. Kindly enlighten me on this. 

Normally she cannot apply here for a UK student visa.  Yhe situation may be different at this time, but I cannot see any UKVI guidance on it. If VFS in Bangkok have said that she can apply, then maybe they have some guidance or instruction that they can give to you to confirm it. If not, then you must make your own decision on whether she can apply in Bangkok or not.

I have been informed by VFS in Bangkok that she can, repeat can, apply here while the covid situation remains the same. I was informed, though, that she might need a longer visa/stay than 60 days. I'm assuming that the processing time for the visa might be lengthy, possibly because the application is here, then the application is sent to UK, then enquiries will be made at wherever she had gained her current qualifications, and there might be a video interview with an ECO in London or wherever. I will try to find out how long the process could take, but I probably won't get any answer to that question.

More curious than anything.

Since she's visiting from the US, I'm assuming she is resident in the US on a green card or some other long term visa.

Why not simply apply while she is in the US, which seems to check all the boxes and be the simplest?

18 hours ago, Tony M said:

I have been informed by VFS in Bangkok that she can, repeat can, apply here while the covid situation remains the same. I was informed, though, that she might need a longer visa/stay than 60 days. I'm assuming that the processing time for the visa might be lengthy, possibly because the application is here, then the application is sent to UK, then enquiries will be made at wherever she had gained her current qualifications, and there might be a video interview with an ECO in London or wherever. I will try to find out how long the process could take, but I probably won't get any answer to that question.

As I thought, I have been informed that the processing may take time. I'm advised that the applicant should make the online application as early as possible (it can, of course, be done even before she arrives in Thailand) and make an appointment also as early as possible (that can also be done before she arrives in Thailand, but not until she has firm flight plans, of course). Good luck. 

On 5/10/2021 at 8:55 PM, Tony M said:

Thanks you very much Tony M. I will follow procedure suggested by you.

Thanks Gin Boy. She is not having green card. My daughter was on a student work visa which is expiring this month hence she has to leave the US. Hence we want to apply her UK study visa in Thailand as she cannot go back to India because of COVID.