Moderna vaccine will be available at private hospitals for 3,000 baht - but you'll still need to register

webfact

19 hours ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

I'm waiting for the CureVac mRNA vaccine.

You could be waiting a while. It's still in phase 3 trials and they haven't applied for approval anywhere yet.

I quite like the sound of the Covaxin vaccine - it appears to be effective against most currently-known variants.

Covaxin effective against Brazilian, British and Indian variants of coronavirus, studies show

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bstafford214 said:

This is so true, it hits at the point in regards to the US and UK's cost of vaccines. Also true are the amount of taxes you pay in both countries, but in reality, there is just no additional costs to you. However I believe you paid for that vaccine if you received one there. The private hospitals here in Thailand charge for the use and administering of said vaccines or any other medications for that matter. Remember you also pay for medications separately at the hospitals, public or private here in Thailand, just as you do in US and UK. The private hospitals are just a higher cost to you.

Just for example, I obtain a monthly prescription from my doctor for Tramadol and pay ฿120 ($4) for 60 tablets. In the US I paid about $40 for the same amount.  The Tramadol comes from India, which is where the Thai government purchase many drugs, probably the same for US and UK. I had an educational conversation in English of course, with my doctor concerning the cost of drugs. My doctor worked in the US for a number of years and had some very interesting insight regarding the cost of health care.

I guess what I am trying to say is the cost is much cheaper hear and I am so tired of hearing about this issue, it is not really an issue is it!  But this is my opinion of course!  ????

It's off topic, but I got the very latest drugs I needed for a viral infection from an online Indian pharmacy. Cost $300, for a 3 month course. Within a week I had an undetectable viral load. Here, they're unobtainable. In the UK, a 3 month course costs the NHS £24,000. But of course, YMMV.

1 hour ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

Maybe you shouldn't be running around in public then...especially to hospitals where sick people congregate. There's this new invention called the telephone ☎️

Try it. Try ringing around 4 of your local hospitals. Banglamung, Thai only spoken. Then show me your results.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40000628

Vibhavadi Hospital drops plan to secure Moderna vaccines.

Vibhavadi Hospital drops plan to secure Moderna vaccines

Vibhavadi Hospital has decided to cancel its plan to procure the Moderna Covid-19 vaccine as there is no scheduled date of delivery. The hospital wanted to order the doses so people had the option to get vaccinated privately, the hospital said on its Facebook page on Thursday.

Edited by anchadian

17 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

You could be waiting a while. It's still in phase 3 trials and they haven't applied for approval anywhere yet.

I quite like the sound of the Covaxin vaccine - it appears to be effective against most currently-known variants.

Covaxin effective against Brazilian, British and Indian variants of coronavirus, studies show

Yes Phase 3 trial results are due this month and then if safe and effective, there is the regulatory approval process to complete. However, I'm in no hurry to get vaccinated. If Moderna or Pfizer ever get here, I'll get one of those. I haven't seen much about the Covaxin jab.

Edited by Pattaya Spotter

4 hours ago, ChiangMaiCal said:

Does anyone have any information about whether the vaccine makes the recipients infectious to others? I have not heard anything about requirements to isolate for a short period after vaccination.

No, the vaccines don't make recipients infectious. They don't contain anything that can cause infection.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, bradiston said:

Try it. Try ringing around 4 of your local hospitals. Banglamung, Thai only spoken. Then show me your results.

Well I know for a fact Bangkok Pattaya Hospital has English speaking operators (because I've had to request an emergency ambulance from there) and I bet Pattaya International does as well. Sao Paolo and Samitijiv in Sri Racha do as well I'm sure. Banglamung, Pattaya City, and Chonburi Hospital maybe or maybe not.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ChiangMaiCal said:

Does anyone have any information about whether the vaccine makes the recipients infectious to others? I have not heard anything about requirements to isolate for a short period after vaccination.

Do you mean can you still transmit the virus after being vaccinated?........jury is out, but it is thought yes......but to what extent no one knows for sure.

3 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

Well I know for a fact Bangkok Pattaya Hospital has English speaking operators (because I've had to request an emergency ambulance from there) and I bet Pattaya International does as well. Sao Paolo and Samitijiv in Sri Racha do as well I'm sure. Banglamung, Pattaya City, and Chonburi Hospital maybe or maybe not.

And can you show them your medical records on the phone? I don't get it. I've suggested you try it. I've never been treated at 3 of those hospitals. Sure, on their customer service desks they could well have English speakers, but then you're dealing with customer services on the phone. Thanks, but no thanks. And you bet? Well you should back your hunches. Try it!

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

All Imports seem to be taxed.

Not true...there are exempt categories. The rate chart is online somewhere...maybe the Customs Department website. I recall seeing once that book ???? imports are not taxed because the government wants to encourage reading.

5 hours ago, bradiston said:

So you have an appointment from MorProm? And registered with 3 private hospitals? You have underlying conditions I guess, and have found 3 hospitals that have access to your medical records that show you have been treated there for those underlying conditions? And of course you are over 60!

If over 60 no need to prove any underlying conditions.

But I wonder if he is really registered for vaccination at 3 private hospitals or just in waiting lists? I have so far heard of only 1 private hospital actually giving foreigners  appointments for vaccination.

If (as I suspect) he is just on waiting list at 3 private hospitals no need to prove anything at that stage even if under 60.

13 hours ago, hioctane said:

EVERY country's equivalent FDA studies the vaccine's test results before approving it. It is nothing new. The vaccine manufacturers need to apply for approval and I think Moderna didn't apply for approval in Thailand until recently.

I agree that is the usual procedure, but don't you think the mark of a good Govt would be to accept other reputable tests in the case of an "unprecedented" pandemic?

One can either suggest that the Thai authorities are simply following the rules, OR one could suggest that they're being stubborn. Tbh, I'm not sure either way.

3 minutes ago, bradiston said:

And can you show them your medical records on the phone? I don't get it. I've suggested you try it. I've never been treated at 3 of those hospitals. Sure, on their customer service desks they could well have English speakers, but then you're dealing with customer services on the phone. Thanks, but no thanks. And you bet? Well you should back your hunches. Try it!

Why do you have to give a medical history...I thought you were attempting to sign-up for, or get information on, their Covid-19 vaccinations? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bradiston said:

So you have an appointment from MorProm? And registered with 3 private hospitals? You have underlying conditions I guess, and have found 3 hospitals that have access to your medical records that show you have been treated there for those underlying conditions? And of course you are over 60!

Actually, any Thai can register, regardless if they are elderly or have underlying conditions. 

I went into Pak Chong Ampur office to apply for a yellow book and a pink ID card. I took along two copies of all the documentation required. 

First they said that I needed even more documentation: 2 Thai Neighbours  had to attend with their blue books, and the also wanted copies of my adult children's ID cards (Why?).

Then they said that they had stopped the issue of yellow books and pink ID cards "because of Covid"! I pointed out that to register for a vaccine, even privately, you need to have a Thai ID card, they then said that the vaccine was only for Thai people and foreigners could not have vaccination until all Thai people have been vaccinated!

This is the reality on the ground, despite whatever the Government say! So the Government say one thing with a big face, but they also make sure that it doesn't happen. 

• Confused 1

14 hours ago, hioctane said:

Excellent explanation! I have been trying to explain this to people that are infatuated with efficacy rates. Get any vaccine that is available and let's end this thing!

They really should use a different measure, like "efficacy at eliminating hospitalization and death and improving herd immunity."  Those are the three things that matter, not your chance of getting the disease and feeling the sniffles.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, clivebaxter said:

Taken seriously from one day to the next, or believed at all depending on who said it, where and what day of the week it is. This has been a utter s show so far and there is little point taking any more official announcements too seriously as it will likely be something else tomorrow.

You are perfectly free to believe that being No 192 in the deaths per 1 million of population is a s.show, rational thinkers would disagree.

2 hours ago, JohnB1945 said:

I went into Pak Chong Ampur office to apply for a yellow book and a pink ID card. I took along two copies of all the documentation required. 

First they said that I needed even more documentation: 2 Thai Neighbours  had to attend with their blue books, and the also wanted copies of my adult children's ID cards (Why?).

Then they said that they had stopped the issue of yellow books and pink ID cards "because of Covid"! I pointed out that to register for a vaccine, even privately, you need to have a Thai ID card, they then said that the vaccine was only for Thai people and foreigners could not have vaccination until all Thai people have been vaccinated!

This is the reality on the ground, despite whatever the Government say! So the Government say one thing with a big face, but they also make sure that it doesn't happen. 

Did you go to the office near the police station or the bigger one on the way out of town?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DavisH said:

Actually, any Thai can register, regardless if they are elderly or have underlying conditions. 

You are wrong, not any Thai can register. My wife has been unable to register and several she knows are in the same boat.

From some I know about, the Tabian Baan and hospital are in different provinces which may be a problem. I seem to remember an article said details would be checked against a local database.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sheryl said:

If over 60 no need to prove any underlying conditions.

But I wonder if he is really registered for vaccination at 3 private hospitals or just in waiting lists? I have so far heard of only 1 private hospital actually giving foreigners  appointments for vaccination.

If (as I suspect) he is just on waiting list at 3 private hospitals no need to prove anything at that stage even if under 60.

There are "online" waiting lists, where somebody has applied via an email link, and there are waiting lists at the hospitals that you attend in person. At the only hospital at which I was able to add my name to the waiting list in person, I was shown the list with my name, number and phone number, on it. I'm really through with discussing this any more. It's all a complete pipe dream to imagine you're going to get vaccinated any time soon in any case. I did what I could, and posted my results. People seem to get angry because they think there are better ways, but they don't bother to test them out. All I say to people is, before you comment on my posts, go to your local hospital and try for yourselves. That's it 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

Why do you have to give a medical history...I thought you were attempting to sign-up for, or get information on, their Covid-19 vaccinations? 

In order to join the priority high risk queue for vaccinations, you need to show medical history of one of the underlying conditions, with treatment at that hospital. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BobBKK said:

I was planning to take half an Aspirin tab for 10 days to mitigate that risk

You have the wrong end of the stick completely. The so called clots in post vaccine cases are the result of a reduced platlet count where platlets have been known to stick together, not coagulation as you seem to think.

Taking a blood thinner or anticoagulant would be about the worst thing to do.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, PGSan said:

Which was that, please.

Sorry, I think I already replied to this higher up. Nevermind. It was at Pattaya Memorial Hospital. I had recently had a full check up for insurance purposes so they were aware of my medical condition/history and very helpfully discovered a few more! Needless to say I was rejected outright for insurance. But the hospital were helpful and gave me good advice. I cured myself of the viral infection that came to light during the examination but I won't go into that. You have to live on your wits here in Thailand. Try all avenues. You're basically in your own. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/6/2021 at 11:53 AM, madmen said:

Expats want to know when? 

Its not only we want to know when , Its when this government can stick to the same plan for at least 2 weeks without changing their mind. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JohnB1945 said:

That's almost funny. All Thai people. That's never because I'd be surprised if even half of Thai people even want it.

On the other hand what you were told is horrifying but as is well obvious by now we're gonna have to not take any verbal communication too seriously and just wait and see.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1