Moderna vaccine will be available at private hospitals for 3,000 baht - but you'll still need to register

webfact

9 hours ago, hioctane said:

Patent restrictions are not the problem. Retrofitting existing vaccine manufacture plants take time.  Building brand new plants take even more time. Look at Thailand's plant. It is still not ready yet. Vaccine makers do not need to give up there IP to work with plants to manufacture their vaccine.

How about in the interim they provide India with the stash of oversupply of vaccines they have, I mean they gave them 60 million doses of AZ the other day, a drop in the bucket compared to the USA having 3 times more vaccines than it needs, in the interim they can start building their new plants, and of course India can supply them with $'s, I mean nothing is for free in the world right, or would the greatest country on this planet be that humane and donate the lot on humanitarian grounds and show the world how great it really is ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sandyf said:

The plan has never changed, always said expats have to wait, along with the majority of Thais that are also waiting on vaccine to become available.

I am not talking about if expats should go last. For Thais ,this is their country. They should go first. I am talking about how they have changed their mind about letting private hospitals buy their own vaccine. First it was no they cant, couple of days later it was yes they can, then back to no. I think its back to yes as of yesterday. My doctor at AEK in Udon is the one that pointed this out to me 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, club said:

I am not talking about if expats should go last. For Thais ,this is their country. They should go first. I am talking about how they have changed their mind about letting private hospitals buy their own vaccine. First it was no they cant, couple of days later it was yes they can, then back to no. I think its back to yes as of yesterday. My doctor at AEK in Udon is the one that pointed this out to me 

I think you're simplifying this. The core issue for expats is whether expats will be included at roughly the SAME TIME in the risk priority phases or not. Whether the access is free and public or paid and private is relatively trivial. If you're suggesting that its OK for high risk expats to be denied access to doses somehow at a roughly similar time frame as Thais then I think that's completely wrong and  would judged as wrong by medical ethics experts.

Edited by Jingthing

On 5/6/2021 at 11:02 PM, SiSePuede419 said:

When will he say when?

We're not getting any younger. ????

So many people on this thread are asking fellow members on TVF when will this or that happen?

Nobody here has any idea at all, as none of us work for the government/Min of Health/ etc and they are the people who make the decisions.

If you really want to know, ask the government how, what, when and where. They probably have no idea either, and if they did, it may all change by another day.

• Like 2

On 5/6/2021 at 12:14 PM, John Drake said:

This is what my physician told me, too. He said also that J&J would be available. Both in June. But that was before all the announcements and threats from the government. I didn't actually think it was still good to go.

Thailand wants to buy more vaccines as surge worsens

https://www.yahoo.com/news/coronavirus-cases-set-record-thailands-144411765.html

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sandyf said:

You are misrepresenting what was said, I watched the briefing live.

The regulator,MHRA, said there was no basis to make any changes to the approval, average incidence was 10.5/million post first jab and 1/million post second jab.

The JVCI, advisory body to the government on the use of vaccine, made a recommendation that where an alternative vaccine was available it should be offered to those under 40. If no alternative is available then the recommendation is they have the AZ vaccine.

In the discussions that followed it was good to see the TV presenter using the term "low platlet blood clot" rather than just saying "blood clots", had to correct himself a few times.

It should be borne in mind that the number of vaccines administered too under 30s is very low which gives misleading results, one out of 2 is 50%.

Time people got to grips with the facts of the matter.

I think that you should read the links that I posted.

You are bad at maths and logic when you make the claim about "misleading results". It is a pretty simple calculation to arrive at the 1:60000 frequency for this clotting in the under 30 age group. 

23 hours ago, JohnB1945 said:

I went into Pak Chong Ampur office to apply for a yellow book and a pink ID card. I took along two copies of all the documentation required. 

First they said that I needed even more documentation: 2 Thai Neighbours  had to attend with their blue books, and the also wanted copies of my adult children's ID cards (Why?).

Then they said that they had stopped the issue of yellow books and pink ID cards "because of Covid"! I pointed out that to register for a vaccine, even privately, you need to have a Thai ID card, they then said that the vaccine was only for Thai people and foreigners could not have vaccination until all Thai people have been vaccinated!

This is the reality on the ground, despite whatever the Government say! So the Government say one thing with a big face, but they also make sure that it doesn't happen. 

Yesterday I went with my wife to the amphur of Klong Lan, Kamphaeng Phet province to get a Pink ID card. I already have the yellow book.

It took about an hour and we took copies and originals of the yellow book, my wife's blue book, a copy of our marriage certificate in English and Thai.

They were professional about the job and seemed quite happy to do what we asked.

They didn't ask for a copy of our sons ID or anything else, nor were any neighbours involved.

As with Immigration, what some amphurs want, others don't need so it is just the luck of the draw, and not a conspiracy to deny us farangs things.

After we were on the way home I asked my wife how much it cost. The answer was either it was free of they forgot to ask.

2 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Yesterday I went with my wife to the amphur of Klong Lan, Kamphaeng Phet province to get a Pink ID card. I already have the yellow book.

It took about an hour and we took copies and originals of the yellow book, my wife's blue book, a copy of our marriage certificate in English and Thai.

They were professional about the job and seemed quite happy to do what we asked.

They didn't ask for a copy of our sons ID or anything else, nor were any neighbours involved.

As with Immigration, what some amphurs want, others don't need so it is just the luck of the draw, and not a conspiracy to deny us farangs things.

After we were on the way home I asked my wife how much it cost. The answer was either it was free of they forgot to ask.

Ours is generally very good, but there is no queueing system.........people are leaning over the desks, asking questions and the officials are dealing 4 or 5 things at a time..........I stay well out of it.

• Like 1

https://www.yahoo.com/news/coronavirus-cases-set-record-thailands-144411765.html

Notice in the link above posted by Tony125 that the PM mentioned foreign workers. Well, many of us are foreign but not working here. 

"He said Thailand, with an adult population of about 60 million, needs at least 120 million vaccine doses, with everyone getting two shots. He said foreign workers also needed to be taken into account."

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Notice in the link above posted by Tony125 that the PM mentioned foreign workers. Well, many of us are foreign but not working here. 

"He said Thailand, with an adult population of about 60 million, needs at least 120 million vaccine doses, with everyone getting two shots. He said foreign workers also needed to be taken into account."

However foreign workers make up by far the majority of foreigners in Thailand.

in terms of the  quantity of vaccine needed -- which is what was being discussed --  western expats are too few to have much  effect.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Why are you asking on TVF about anything the government intends to do? Nobody here knows any more than you do.

Ask the hospital or the government as they control the supply of vaccines and make the changeable rules.

Perpetual moaners, who usually cheat the queue, are getting impatient and overly self-important. 

1 minute ago, Sheryl said:

in terms of the  quantity of vaccine needed -- which is what was being discussed --  western expats are too few to have much  effect.

Well as this here is an expat forum if we don't pay attention to details like this, who will?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

I think you're simplifying this. The core issue for expats is whether expats will be included at roughly the SAME TIME in the risk priority phases or not. Whether the access is free and public or paid and private is relatively trivial. If you're suggesting that its OK for high risk expats to be denied access to doses somehow at a roughly similar time frame as Thais then I think that's completely wrong and  would judged as wrong by medical ethics experts.

What is not trivial is that mRNA vaccines were not ordered months ago. So, they are not cheap enough for mass administration. Does that mean that they must be ruled out? That would be very shortsighted.

The ethical questions are not straightforward. Importing these vaccines for administration in private hospitals would reduce the strain on the public system. There is always the populist backlash, whatever the timing. I don't see delaying administration in private hospitals to coordinate with staging in the public program outweighing the good gained by getting mRNA vaccines here ASAP and thus saving lives of those who can afford the private pricing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

I'd like to know if there are any statistics available on the nationalities of the expat population.

3 minutes ago, placnx said:

What is not trivial is that mRNA vaccines were not ordered months ago. So, they are not cheap enough for mass administration. Does that mean that they must be ruled out? That would be very shortsighted.

The ethical questions are not straightforward. Importing these vaccines for administration in private hospitals would reduce the strain on the public system. There is always the populist backlash, whatever the timing. I don't see delaying administration in private hospitals to coordinate with staging in the public program outweighing the good gained by getting mRNA vaccines here ASAP and thus saving lives of those who can afford the private pricing.

Perhaps bring these in, charge a fair amount of money for them, and use the profits to fund jabs for the general public?  I'm sure lots of rich Thai people would be happy with this.  Heck, they're looking at vaccine "holidays" to the US for 70k+ Baht.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, placnx said:

4 minutes ago, placnx said:

And you assumed that I would disagree with that?

17 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

And you assumed that I would disagree with that?

I am not trying to start an argument. I don't know whether you agree with me or perhaps somewhat.

I hope that this forum can help each other to understand complex issues. There are some very good posters with well-informed ideas and interesting links, and this discussion can hopefully help us interpret the data and the confusing edicts and announcements. 

• Like 1

A post with content that was copied from another site without a supporting link to the source of information has been reported and removed:

14) You will not post any copyrighted material except as fair use laws apply (as in the case of news articles). Please only post a link, the headline and the first three sentences.

55 minutes ago, placnx said:

I'd like to know if there are any statistics available on the nationalities of the expat population.

Here's some figures from a study by Mahidol University, though they are a little outdated (I couldn't find anything newer).

Screenshot_2021_0508_141155.png

Edited by GroveHillWanderer
  • Like 1