Moderna vaccine will be available at private hospitals for 3,000 baht - but you'll still need to register

webfact

2 hours ago, placnx said:

I think that you should read the links that I posted.

You are bad at maths and logic when you make the claim about "misleading results". It is a pretty simple calculation to arrive at the 1:60000 frequency for this clotting in the under 30 age group. 

I am not interested in any media links you posted, i saw the briefing straight from the horses mouth.

If only 2 people under the age of 30 had the vaccine and one got a problem, you are perfectly free to believe that 50% of all others that had the vaccine would have the same problem.

Bottom line is there is insufficient data to give anything like a true incidence level.

2 hours ago, billd766 said:

Yesterday I went with my wife to the amphur of Klong Lan, Kamphaeng Phet province to get a Pink ID card. I already have the yellow book.

It took about an hour and we took copies and originals of the yellow book, my wife's blue book, a copy of our marriage certificate in English and Thai.

They were professional about the job and seemed quite happy to do what we asked.

They didn't ask for a copy of our sons ID or anything else, nor were any neighbours involved.

As with Immigration, what some amphurs want, others don't need so it is just the luck of the draw, and not a conspiracy to deny us farangs things.

After we were on the way home I asked my wife how much it cost. The answer was either it was free of they forgot to ask.

When I went for mine Bill they didn't ask for anything, just took the yellow book and gave me a queue number along with all the Thais getting a new ID. After about half an hour I was called forward and they fetched a woman that had apparently been trained on doing foreigners. She went through the process with the normal staff, spoke good English and gave me a lecture on what the card could be used for and what it couldn't.

Just like the Thais there was no charge.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, placnx said:

What is not trivial is that mRNA vaccines were not ordered months ago. So, they are not cheap enough for mass administration. Does that mean that they must be ruled out? That would be very shortsighted.

There is a distribution problem with mRNA vaccines, in particular Pfizer. The government are well within their rights to see that as a concern in respect of mass vaccination.

The results of the storage regulations not being adhered to could end up being worse than the pandemic.

I for one would never consider taking one of the mRNA vaccine in this country.

12 minutes ago, sandyf said:

There is a distribution problem with mRNA vaccines, in particular Pfizer. The government are well within their rights to see that as a concern in respect of mass vaccination.

The results of the storage regulations not being adhered to could end up being worse than the pandemic.

What is the risk of the taking the poorly stored vaccine??? (i.e. if the vaccine goes about 0 Deg C for a week)

Will it be dangerously altered some how?

Or will it be less effective or completely ineffective? 

i.e. those who believe they are vaccinated actually are not, thus we could end up with a proportion of the population who effectively remain ‘unvaccinated’ ????

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

What is the risk of the taking the poorly stored vaccine??? (i.e. if the vaccine goes about 0 Deg C for a week)

i.e. those who believe they are vaccinated actually are not, thus we could end up with a proportion of the population who effectively remain ‘unvaccinated’ ????

Layman's answer - bacteria in the vaccine.

Why not ask Biontech, they wrote the requirements.

The good news is that the Chinese trials indicate that the higher temperature level could be longer than the current allowance, but then nobody is going to trust anything from China.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

https://time.com/5942452/pfizer-biontech-vaccine-cold-storage-fda/

FDA: Pfizer-BioNTech Vaccine Doesn’t Need Ultra-Cold Freezer Storage

But in the past few weeks, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration reviewed data submitted by the companies on the stability of the doses at normal freezer temperatures (-25°C to -15°C), and on Feb. 25, the agency issued new guidance that says the vaccine can be safely shipped and stored for up to two weeks at these relatively higher temperatures.

Yes I posted similar info out of China a couple  of weeks ago, and it is probably this revised information that has prompted the government to reconsider the Pfizer vaccine.

Personally the ability to handle the vaccine safely would be of some concern.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, sandyf said:

That's fine, I'm all in, I'm already registered at a local Bangkok Hospital here in Hua Hin and will pop along to get my shots when they're available.

If they're never available then I simply won't get vaccinated, I don't care that much but given the chance of a proper non Chinese vaccine of my choice I will take it.

2 hours ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

Here's some figures from a study by Mahidol University, though they are a little outdated (I couldn't find anything newer).

Screenshot_2021_0508_141155.png

Even though this dates from 2010, it gives some idea. Thanks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sandyf said:

The good news is that the Chinese trials indicate that the higher temperature level could be longer than the current allowance, but then nobody is going to trust anything from China.

Why would it be more likely for bacteria to flourish at a given temperature in the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine than in any other vaccine?

6 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I think you're simplifying this. The core issue for expats is whether expats will be included at roughly the SAME TIME in the risk priority phases or not. Whether the access is free and public or paid and private is relatively trivial. If you're suggesting that its OK for high risk expats to be denied access to doses somehow at a roughly similar time frame as Thais then I think that's completely wrong and  would judged as wrong by medical ethics experts.

WE are in their country, I know that upsets you but those are the facts. Unfair or not. This is what happens when you move to another country. I know it sucks but that's the  way it is. Get over it

Just now, club said:

WE are in their country, I know that upsets you but those are the facts. Unfair or not. This is what happens when you move to another country. I know it sucks but that's the  way it is. Get over it

Goodbye. 

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

You would be better off asking the manufacturers about that.

IMHO they would/should have put aside a large number of trial vaccinations for testing in situations like that. Whether they would release information like that to the general public is doubtful.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, irishman25 said:

I had only sore shoulder for 2.days as that where they stick the needle into the bone as I am a very mature Gent long in years had No issue now I can travel and enjoy life again.  

Stick the needle into the bone ?.

Surely into the Veins /  blood stream ,

would  be more effective ...

5 minutes ago, elliss said:

PS,  if the vaccine is free .

No thanks ..

You pay for what you get ...

On 5/7/2021 at 4:15 PM, bradiston said:

Sorry, I think I already replied to this higher up. Nevermind. It was at Pattaya Memorial Hospital. I had recently had a full check up for insurance purposes so they were aware of my medical condition/history and very helpfully discovered a few more! Needless to say I was rejected outright for insurance. But the hospital were helpful and gave me good advice. I cured myself of the viral infection that came to light during the examination but I won't go into that. You have to live on your wits here in Thailand. Try all avenues. You're basically in your own. 

Good to know. Thanks for posting!

They should charge at least 10.000THB to western expats. Reading comments on TV forum only they have money and only they contribute to the Thai economy. That will repel all poor, pesky Indians, Chinese and  Russians. And from surplus from vaccines they can create a found to help all Thai people in need.  Win win situation. Farang rak Thai mak mak.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Bezdomny said:

They should charge at least 10.000THB to western expats. Reading comments on TV forum only they have money and only they contribute to the Thai economy. That will repel all poor, pesky Indians, Chinese and  Russians. And from surplus from vaccines they can create a found to help all Thai people in need.  Win win situation. Farang rak Thai mak mak.

Don't really care what they charge me. My American insurance covers it

On 5/8/2021 at 12:34 PM, billd766 said:

Yesterday I went with my wife to the amphur of Klong Lan, Kamphaeng Phet province to get a Pink ID card. I already have the yellow book.

It took about an hour and we took copies and originals of the yellow book, my wife's blue book, a copy of our marriage certificate in English and Thai.

They were professional about the job and seemed quite happy to do what we asked.

They didn't ask for a copy of our sons ID or anything else, nor were any neighbours involved.

As with Immigration, what some amphurs want, others don't need so it is just the luck of the draw, and not a conspiracy to deny us farangs things.

After we were on the way home I asked my wife how much it cost. The answer was either it was free of they forgot to ask.

If you have a yellow book, you don't need the pink card, which is meant for stateless people(check the back of the card -  it says you can't leave your province). The number on the card is the same as the yellow book. 

The cost is 60 baht. 

Why would they want info from your son or neighbours?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, placeholder said:

Why would it be more likely for bacteria to flourish at a given temperature in the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine than in any other vaccine?

Irrelevant answer in respect of a poorly stored vaccine, which was the question.

• Like 1

On 5/8/2021 at 2:09 PM, GroveHillWanderer said:

Here's some figures from a study by Mahidol University, though they are a little outdated (I couldn't find anything newer).

Screenshot_2021_0508_141155.png

Here's a link to a more up to date set of figures, 2018 I think, and a massively long report on migration in Thailand which includes break downs on things like work permits issued etc etc. There are a lot of tables included but you'll need to comb through the document to find them.

Bottom line is, there are almost 5 million non Thais living in Thailand but the overwhelming number are from neighbouring countries.

https://reliefweb.int/report/thailand/thailand-migration-report-2019-enth

The second infographic just gives a general overview.

Hope this helps.

Edited by bradiston
Accuracy

22 hours ago, elliss said:

Definitely not. All vaccines (that I'm aware of) and certainly all the Covid vaccines must be given intramuscularly. To inject them into a blood vessel would not be the correct procedure and could actually be dangerous.

In fact there's been some speculation that vaccines being accidentally given into a blood vessel may lead to a higher risk of blood clotting. 

Edited by GroveHillWanderer
  • Like 1

On 5/8/2021 at 3:47 PM, sandyf said:

A country that has all but eliminated Covid - interesting 

On 5/8/2021 at 3:47 PM, sandyf said:

It's not because of bacteria. It's because after too long a period at a higher temperature the vacccine construct itself starts to become unstable, and therefore loses efficacy.

One of the big problems with mRNA-based medicine ever since they started researching it about 4 decades ago, was how to get the mRNA strands to remain stable. It's taken them a long time to get even to where we are today.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, sandyf said:

Irrelevant answer in respect of a poorly stored vaccine, which was the question.

But "poorly stored" is in reference to exceeding the recommended storage temperature of a specific vaccine. So if "poorly stored" means 5 degrees centigrade for vaccine A but not for Vaccine B, why would that necessarily favor bacterial growth in A but not B?

5 hours ago, Neeranam said:

If you have a yellow book, you don't need the pink card, which is meant for stateless people(check the back of the card -  it says you can't leave your province). The number on the card is the same as the yellow book. 

The cost is 60 baht. 

Why would they want info from your son or neighbours?

Mine was free and not 60 baht.

The reference to the neighbours was in response to an earlier post from somebody else.

• Like 1

On 5/8/2021 at 6:03 PM, placeholder said:

I think that the temperature issue concerns the stability of the mRNA. So being frozen prevents it from being shaken in transit.

14 hours ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

It's not because of bacteria. It's because after too long a period at a higher temperature the vacccine construct itself starts to become unstable, and therefore loses efficacy.

One of the big problems with mRNA-based medicine ever since they started researching it about 4 decades ago, was how to get the mRNA strands to remain stable. It's taken them a long time to get even to where we are today.

Thanks. Nice to see a constructive answer other than unsubstantiated BS.

Saw in the news recently the AZ team have also made a breakthrough on malaria.

• Thanks 1