Moderna vaccine will be available at private hospitals for 3,000 baht - but you'll still need to register

webfact

14 hours ago, billd766 said:

Mine was free and not 60 baht.

The reference to the neighbours was in response to an earlier post from somebody else.

I do not understand the Thai language Bill so I have no idea what it says on the back. What was said to me when I got the card was that it couldn't be used to leave the country, but some want to say it means province.

I used the card to register at Ban Kheo hospital where I had my eyes done, that is right round the other side of Bangkok from me. I have also used it at many hotels and some attractions outside my province.

It is certainly not restricted to use within your own province.

• Thanks 1

On 5/6/2021 at 12:34 PM, hioctane said:

I don’t think they are engaging with private entities.  They are are allowing them to import it in.

Why would Moderna have an issue dealing with private enterprise? They are a private company. They will sell to anyone with cash. Of course, when it will be available is a different story. Tier 1 countries pre-ordered most of their supply.

You mean countries with experience, foresight, planning and vision? And competent officials who are not cheapskates when it comes to public welfare? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

No problem - if you'd like to read a fuller explanation, see the article below.

It goes into a bit more detail of course, but the main point, as it states, is that:

"the mRNA could still fall apart easily, which is why the vaccine is frozen."

Why Does Pfizer's COVID-19 Vaccine Need To Be Kept Colder Than Antarctica?

As others have also pointed out, the Pfizer vaccine no longer needs to be stored at -70° C but can now be stored at regular freezer temperatures of around -15 to -20°C.

And....they're working on a pill!  Won't see that for at least a year.  But it's in development.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

No problem - if you'd like to read a fuller explanation, see the article below.

It goes into a bit more detail of course, but the main point, as it states, is that:

"the mRNA could still fall apart easily, which is why the vaccine is frozen."

Why Does Pfizer's COVID-19 Vaccine Need To Be Kept Colder Than Antarctica?

As others have also pointed out, the Pfizer vaccine no longer needs to be stored at -70° C but can now be stored at regular freezer temperatures of around -15 to -20°C.

Yes I had seen info coming out of China a couple of weeks ago to that effect, Fosun are working in collaboration with Biontech. Even regular freezer temperatures makes storage more difficult than other vaccines and not the most suited to countries like Thailand.

Interesting that the latest guidelines from the UK government never reflected any change in storage requirement,  the US updated their guidelines in Feb.

6.4 Special precautions for storage

Store in a freezer at -80 °C to -60 °C.

Store in the thermal container at -90 ºC to -60 ºC.

Store in the original package in order to protect from light.

Once removed from the freezer, the undiluted vaccine can be stored for up to 5 days at 2 °C to 8 °C, and up to 2 hours at temperatures up to 25 °C, prior to use. During storage, minimise exposure to room light, and avoid exposure to direct sunlight and ultraviolet light. Thawed vials can be handled in room light conditions.

After dilution, store the vaccine at 2 °C to 25 °C and use as soon as practically possible and within 6 hours. The vaccine does not contain a preservative. Discard any unused vaccine.

Once diluted, the vials should be marked with the dilution time and discarded within 6 hours of dilution.

Once thawed, the vaccine cannot be re-frozen.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/regulatory-approval-of-pfizer-biontech-vaccine-for-covid-19/information-for-healthcare-professionals-on-pfizerbiontech-covid-19-vaccine

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, kimberizi said:

Its not real, I contacted Bangkok Hospital Pattaya and they said no list exists and that they don't know anything about any vaccines being available for foreigners. What we all need to understand is that the almost daily aspirational warm and fuzzy announcements coming out of the government are not real things. It is thinking out loud, no actions just talk.  Im fed up of all this <deleted> and Im heading back to Europe next week to get the vaccine which is readily available and free. 

My experience exactly. I got on a list at one Pattaya private hospital (Memorial), but struck out at Banglamung, International and Bangkok. It is as you say, all hot air. And a lot of it is unsurprisingly coming from PR Thai Government, that seems to handle most of the government's public bs. It's just a PR patch up job.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

It has been approved, under emergency use.  But it's been approved.

Pfizer is asking for licensure, but it will take several months to happen. Moderna is going soon.

https://investors.pfizer.com/investor-news/press-release-details/2021/Pfizer-and-BioNTech-Initiate-Rolling-Submission-of-Biologics-License-Application-for-U.S.-FDA-Approval-of-Their-COVID-19-Vaccine/default.aspx

https://www.10news.com/news/coronavirus/in-depth-how-full-fda-approval-would-impact-vaccine-mandates-competition

According to second link, licensure could affect the prospects of the hundreds of vaccines in the pipeline since they might not be able to get EUA.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, placnx said:

Pfizer is asking for licensure, but it will take several months to happen. Moderna is going soon.

https://investors.pfizer.com/investor-news/press-release-details/2021/Pfizer-and-BioNTech-Initiate-Rolling-Submission-of-Biologics-License-Application-for-U.S.-FDA-Approval-of-Their-COVID-19-Vaccine/default.aspx

https://www.10news.com/news/coronavirus/in-depth-how-full-fda-approval-would-impact-vaccine-mandates-competition

According to second link, licensure could affect the prospects of the hundreds of vaccines in the pipeline since they might not be able to get EUA.

One reason they've been able to fast track these vaccines is they overlapped clinical trials.  Starting phase 2 before phase one finished, and starting phase 3 before phase 2 was finished.  Plus, setting a fire under the slow government bureaucrats! LOL

it would help a lot for those who are vaccine hesitant to have a full FDA approval.  In some ways, hard to blame them.  But without their cooperation, we won't get through this quickly.

3 hours ago, Tony125 said:

China's Sinovac vaccine may be better than previously thought: It was 94% effective at preventing symptomatic COVID-19 in a real-world study, Indonesian officials said

https://www.yahoo.com/news/chinas-sinovac-vaccine-may-better-104040003.html

I would take Sinovac instantly if I had the chance. It is one of the most conservative technologies with less side effects than AZ or J&J vaccine.

Since they are now talking about walk-in vaccinations nationwide, presumably in response to the unexpectedly low number of registrations via Mor Prom, why are they talking about having to register with the government in order to buy a vaccination at a private hospital?  Makes no sense and, given all the problems with Mor Prom and the redundancy of this idea, my guess is that registration probably won't happen.  But why talk such hot air for gossakes.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Dogmatix said:

Since they are now talking about walk-in vaccinations nationwide, presumably in response to the unexpectedly low number of registrations via Mor Prom, why are they talking about having to register with the government in order to buy a vaccination at a private hospital?  Makes no sense and, given all the problems with Mor Prom and the redundancy of this idea, my guess is that registration probably won't happen.  But why talk such hot air for gossakes.

I gave up on relying and planning something advanced based on Thai government PR. What they said today can be a totally different situation tomorrow.

See flip flop with Covid tests in Phuket. The budget ran out and now everyone has to pay. Not that a children could do such a calculation beforehand...

• Like 1

On 5/6/2021 at 11:40 AM, webfact said:

He advised that for many people going down the state vaccination route may be better as it would be quicker (and of course free for Thais).

I think I read here that it was free for non-thais too. 

5 hours ago, Dogmatix said:

The government has to get it's share of money that's all this govt cares about is how thick the envelope is 

On 5/13/2021 at 1:06 AM, Jeffr2 said:

One reason they've been able to fast track these vaccines is they overlapped clinical trials.  Starting phase 2 before phase one finished, and starting phase 3 before phase 2 was finished.  Plus, setting a fire under the slow government bureaucrats! LOL

it would help a lot for those who are vaccine hesitant to have a full FDA approval.  In some ways, hard to blame them.  But without their cooperation, we won't get through this quickly.

Correct...I've just posted this on another thread:

To be fair, the normal testing procedures were followed, at least in the case of the UK. The difference is that instead of it being done sequentially as is usual, a large financial risk  was taken and the testing was run in parallel with the development effort.

See if you can download / stream Jabbed! Inside Britain's Vaccine Triumph - All 4 (channel4.com)  which explains why vaccines typically take YEARS to gain approval. Also, it’s often the paperwork and admin  that takes the time, not the actual testing.

• Like 2

On 5/13/2021 at 4:53 PM, CLW said:

I would take Sinovac instantly if I had the chance. It is one of the most conservative technologies with less side effects than AZ or J&J vaccine.

U.S. to Donate 20 Million Doses for Global Vaccination Effort

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/us-to-donate-20-million-doses-for-global-vaccination-effort/ar-BB1gPR1l?li=BBnb7Kz

• Like 1

On 5/6/2021 at 12:52 PM, holy cow cm said:

Moderna is getting interesting. But it will probably be locked out until AZ is fully out in the multiple double digit millions.

I don't see why. The average Thai isn't going to pay 20-35% of their monthly salary for the moderna vaccine when Sinovac is free (despite not wanting it).

Thai government will use Sinovac on all the plebs.

• Like 1

On 5/13/2021 at 5:28 PM, Dogmatix said:

why are they talking about having to register with the government in order to buy a vaccination at a private hospital? 

My hunch is because it's being purchased through the government. Government doesn't want to be left with vaccine.

Other pharma companies can sell direct (if allowed by Thai govt monopoly).

They would never give a moderna vaccine to some hillbilly farmer. Ruling class has such disdain for the poor.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, kynikoi said:

I don't see why. The average Thai isn't going to pay 20-35% of their monthly salary for the moderna vaccine when Sinovac is free (despite not wanting it).

Still there will be middle class people who don't trust Sinovac. We should get some idea of the number after the AZ sign up for older people. By then it will be late to order more Moderna, so will default to AZ for the younger Thais be the answer?

7 hours ago, kynikoi said:

If the Thai united and said we only want this and this only then cost would probably be the same. This is smoke and mirrors by the powers that be only because of special interests. It could all be free to them. I really hope you don't believe what you read and wrote.