Moderna vaccine will be available at private hospitals for 3,000 baht - but you'll still need to register

webfact

2 hours ago, webfact said:

However, people wanting the Moderna jab would still have to register on "Mor Prom" as data must be collected.

I guess I need someone to explain the OP.  First, why would foreigners have to register with Mor Prom if they are getting their vaccine from a private hospital.  Second, if they do have to register, how do they do it?  It asks for your Thai ID.  Does that mean every foreigner will need to go to the local Amphur and get a Pink Card?  Now if Mor Prom contacts you, does that mean it is the government contacting you for an Astra Zeneca or Sinovac injection, or does it mean you have the opportunity to go to a private hospital to receive the Moderna, Johnson & Johson, or Pfizer vaccine assuming they hospitals have them. 

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Furthermore the chief of the PHA said that people would still need to register online for the jab, something that many expats are confused about or have had problems in doing, notes Thaivisa. 

Great - just get me a national Thai ID and Im all set!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, John Drake said:

This is what my physician told me, too. He said also that J&J would be available. Both in June. But that was before all the announcements and threats from the government. I didn't actually think it was still good to go.

J&J is being apparently being used by the government already as my employee's sister, a government nurse received this vaccine. Hope your doctor is right that it will be available to the masses next month

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That's good news. I would like to have it asap to be able to fly abroad in July and hopefully return to Thailand via Phuket with no quarantine. Price seems reasonable and I'm willing to pay it. 

First they must fix the registration issue for foreign IDs if they want us to use their system / application.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, CLW said:

First they must fix the registration issue for foreign IDs if they want us to use their system / application.

They aren't going to fix it.......it is Thais first......foreigners when there is a surplus of vaccines no longer needed by Thais.

• Thanks 1

Just now, PGSan said:

What indemnity do they have?

Total....these are experimental vaccines......not fully approved.......and all governments have waived any legal action in the event of some horror story developing ........

Just now, Surelynot said:

Total....these are experimental vaccines......not fully approved.......and all governments have waived any legal action in the event of some horror story developing ........

Why would any government take such legal action in any case?  

1 hour ago, inThailand said:

Bets on whether the price will be significantly more or less than 3,000B when it finally comes available? 

I think AZ for foreigners will be that or higher. As for Thai it is said to be free, but then I think the government will ascertain getting money from government coffers and pay a high premium cost for all Thai jabs to SB. There is an underlying plan in this somewhere. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, PGSan said:

Why would any government take such legal action in any case?  

What they are doing in-effect is saying...... if there any problems you have no resort to legal action against the vaccine supplier.......

1 minute ago, Surelynot said:

What they are doing in-effect is saying...... if there any problems you have no resort to legal action against the vaccine supplier.......

Sure, but then I have no such resort anyway.  So no change there.

There is no such thing as free.

When you left your "Nanny" state to live here you gave all your "supplied by the Government" behind.

I do not think price is an issue here.

As to the Government treating the vaccine as a "restricted new drug", I understand.

Case: Private hospital imports 10,000 doses. Many farang go & get the jab only to find that all the reactions very  are severe & need hospitalization.

Now the bun fight starts when a privare hospital v very large Pharma Company

I think the FDA is right in doing all the importing., putting track & trace on every batch

& then distributing to the PH.

It is just the protection racket to protect the state coffers & Siam Biotech that starting to stink

• Haha 1

This must be the only country in the world trying to make a profit out of people’s misery?  Then again I suppose no one is being forced to pay. There’s no chance I will be making a payment and having the Chinese version is definitely a no go. Looks like I will have to wait for the herd immunity to kick in.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, garzhe said:

One has to wonder whose kid fresh out of college got the contract to produce these government department websites and Apps

You assume they went through college!??

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, PGSan said:

Sure, but then I have no such resort anyway.  So no change there.

You would in normal circumstances...a nightmare pursuing action......but you could, if there were demonstrated to have been negligent in someway.

2 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

but you could, if there were demonstrated to have been negligent in someway.

Not sure where you practice law, but where I come from I definitely could not do this whatever evidence I have of negligence.  So get real about me, please! 

Edited by PGSan

3 hours ago, webfact said:

It remains to be seen that if paying for a jab rather than getting a free one will aid in registration

Money always seems to grease the wheels in Thailand.