Pattaya: Time for the police to fine tourists for flouting mask rules, says Thai media

webfact

3 hours ago, khaowong1 said:

There you go.  But no one wants to listen to common sense.  

Let's see, countries that took it seriously like Korea, Singapore (and Thailand in earlier waves) early on put the face-mask mandate in place with few people flouting the rules.  Even in Canada they had lower infection rates and dropping rates over time for the earlier waves.  Unfortunately as time has gone on -- the populace has been less strict at observing it and the infection rates have risen in many countries (including Thailand) -- and the government has been less strict in enforcing what worked earlier on.  India, where many people don't have the same concept of personal space as elsewhere... etc... is now a basket case.

- Mask will reduce the distance of spread of germs. (I have seen many places where half the people don't wear the mask - even long ago - can't work if you have such a high number of people not taking it seriously).

- Washing hands before touching oneself (So many people in the west don't even wash their hands when they go to the bathroom - so I guess you cannot expect them to do it now)

- Keep your distance (many cases of things like spring break parties, school parties, house parties violating the rules)

- Testing and tracing of cases (most western countries fail on the tracing)

- etc.

All have some impact on the spread of the virus.  So if the R0 rate (infection rate) is greater than one the number of infected people go up.  If it is below it goes down.  If you take all the precautions it would make it difficult to spread... but then too many don't take it seriously and a few mass gatherings, college parties can take one case and multiply it very quickly.  It failed in many cases because too many people never took it seriously.  I would have no problem if someone has had multiple offenses not taking it seriously - being only accepted to ICU if there is room... If you don't take responsibility, then I don't see why we should worry about your health either.

Edited by bkkcanuck8
  • Like 1

On 5/7/2021 at 1:50 PM, Eindhoven said:

Why did you not help them out? I certainly wouldn't sit back if I saw a fellow traveller in dire straits.

If they are queueing up for free food and risking their health; they are quite likely not doing it for fun.

Instead of whipping up a head of hatred for them, why not simply help?

Should not be here , we don’t need the Look from Thais 

17 hours ago, Leaver said:

Visas cancelled, deportation, and black listing.

Then see how many foreigners not wearing masks.  

????

I guess you are a very pleasant person with many many friends

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Guests are invited.

We are all invited, until our visas are revoked, for whatever reason/s. 

That makes us all guests. 

That visa does not give us a "right" to reside here.  Only permanent residency and / or citizenship does, and there are very few foreigners with either of these.  

5 minutes ago, Leaver said:

We are all invited, until our visas are revoked, for whatever reason/s. 

That makes us all guests. 

That visa does not give us a "right" to reside here.  Only permanent residency and / or citizenship does, and there are very few foreigners with either of these.  

I don't think guest is really a word that fits. Agree to disagree.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Leaver said:

What word do you think is appropriate, given a visa can be revoked at any time?  

Expats. Tourists. Depending. To me guest is about literally bring invited. Applying for visas etc. Is instigated by the foreigner. Really no biggie. If you really feel like you're a guest, good for you.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

Expats. Tourists. Depending.

Tourists implies they were going home anyway.

Expats, same rule applies, their visa can be revoked at any time.  Actually, they don't even have to break any laws, they can just change the goal posts for the visa, perhaps with many unable to comply, and you are out.  

Once again, except for the very few foreigners that have permanent residency or citizenship here, the rest of us are really just "guests."    The invitation to the party can be revoked at any time, through various methods.  

13 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Tourists implies they were going home anyway.

Expats, same rule applies, their visa can be revoked at any time.  Actually, they don't even have to break any laws, they can just change the goal posts for the visa, perhaps with many unable to comply, and you are out.  

Once again, except for the very few foreigners that have permanent residency or citizenship here, the rest of us are really just "guests."    The invitation to the party can be revoked at any time, through various methods.  

Why do you think it's necessary for you to push your understanding of the word guest on people that are not feeling it? It's bizarre. Enjoy your 90 day guest reports.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Why do you think it's necessary for you to push your understanding of the word guest on people that are not feeling it? It's bizarre. Enjoy your 90 day guest reports.

Not pushing anything.  

Why do you think it necessary to overstate the legal framework in which the majority of expats reside here?  

You can own a house, a farm, a shop, a bar, 2 motorbikes, a car, and have children here, but without permanent residency or citizenship, you have no more rights than someone on a 30 day visa exemption stamp.  Do you deny this?  

I pay an gent.  No 90 day reports for me.  

36 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Not pushing anything.  

Why do you think it necessary to overstate the legal framework in which the majority of expats reside here?  

You can own a house, a farm, a shop, a bar, 2 motorbikes, a car, and have children here, but without permanent residency or citizenship, you have no more rights than someone on a 30 day visa exemption stamp.  Do you deny this?  

I pay an gent.  No 90 day reports for me.  

You have completely misunderstood the reasons I don’t think we're guests. Whatever you're talking about has absolulutely nothing to do with it. This total disconnect is actually very funny. Even more so that we don't have a language barrier between us.

Glad to hear you have a gent in your life even if you have to pay him. Whatever works.

Edited by Jingthing

11 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

You have completely misunderstood the reasons I don’t think we're guests. Whatever you're talking about has absolulutely nothing to do with it. This total disconnect is actually very funny. Even more so that we don't have a language barrier between us.

Glad to hear you have a gent in your life even if you have to pay him. Whatever works.

Have you considered you didn't convey the point you were trying to make in your post, despite English being your first language, and my first language?  

14 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Have you considered you didn't convey the point you were trying to make in your post, despite English being your first language, and my first language?  

No. I think its you.

1 hour ago, Leaver said:

I'm a visitor with a retirement visa, I'm not a guest, I put more baht into the system yearly than a majority of Thais but hey I'm just a visitor.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

I'm a visitor with a retirement visa, I'm not a guest, I put more baht into the system yearly than a majority of Thais but hey I'm just a visitor.

Doesn't a "visitor" usually end their stay at some point in time?  

What do you call a permanent "visitor?"  

Edited by Leaver
  • Haha 1

I was never invited and I am not a guest here. I am a customer and consumer who has spent millions of baht.  and I have supported my thai wife and her family for more than 20 years.

no reason I have to walk on my knees in this country.

18 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Doesn't a "visitor" usually end their stay at some point in time?  

What do you call a permanent "visitor?"  

We all end our stay at the end. I don't know what the future holds for me, for now I'll finish raising my daughter, see her off to college, then who knows. For now I call this my home.

1 minute ago, EVENKEEL said:

for now I'll finish raising my daughter, see her off to college, then who knows. For now I call this my home.

Sure, but what "right" do you have to remain in Thailand in order to achieve these things?  I would suggest, zero, like the rest of us.

A visa does not offer any permanency.  It's just permission to stay 12 months, like a 30 day visa exemption stamp is permission to stay 30 days.  

1 hour ago, EVENKEEL said:

According to immigration you, and the rest of us are officially 'Aliens' as stated on official forms

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Leaver said:

Sure, but what "right" do you have to remain in Thailand in order to achieve these things?  I would suggest, zero, like the rest of us.

A visa does not offer any permanency.  It's just permission to stay 12 months, like a 30 day visa exemption stamp is permission to stay 30 days.  

8 hours ago, clivebaxter said:

According to immigration you, and the rest of us are officially 'Aliens' as stated on official forms

Which is why it's important to have a plan B in case things go sideways in Thailand. No one could have predicted covid causing havoc around the world, things happen and we adapt.

OK I'm an alien, as long as the beaches stay open and the beer keeps flowing I'm a happy camper.

12 hours ago, Leaver said:

The permission to stay can be.....  and any criminal record in the country would qualify as a reason.. I have heard of those who endured DUI punishment being threatened with 'a trip to immigration' after the original fines have been paid, with a clear threat of potentially being thrown out of the country.  Guest may not be the exact correct word, ( a person having almost begged for it) but everyone of us is subject to the whim of the immigration officer. 

11 hours ago, Jingthing said:

The same as his misunderstanding of the word 'Visa'.... 

10 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

Forget the magnanimous BS, that is not important. You are here for your own reasons, not to benefit the locals.