Phuket Immigration Now Want Bank Statement for 1 YEAR for 1 Year Extension

Today was the first time in more than 15 years that my documentation was not correct for the 1 year extension of my Non-Imm O-A visa.

And it cost me another trip to the bank. And another 200 baht. And waiting an hour for the bank to open.

It cost another guy 600 baht (who turned up for the second time with a second "statement" from the bank that was not what the IO wanted), unless maybe he got it free - 3rd time lucky?

While I was there, about 5 people were told: "From today! 1 year bank statement."

So I'll add that to my list of requirements for next year.

I'll also delete from the list the Health Insurance Certificate, which he gave back to me.

Does this mean they don't require the 400k/40k Health Insurance? I've no idea.

37 minutes ago, Brierley said:

We lived in Phuket about fourteen years ago and my bank at the time was HSBC in Bangkok. When I went to renew my long stay visa I had to coordinate with the bank to pick up the letter on a certain date and time and then return to extend the visa the following day. They also wanted copies of all my twelve months bank statements back then so this is nothing new. On year they rejected the bank letter saying it wasn't dated the same day. That meant arranging a second letter, flying up the night before, collecting the letter next morning and flying straight back. I was glad when I moved away from Phuket, for that very reason.

My extension is based on >800k baht in a Thai bank.

I make copies of all documents that I give to Immigration, at home, the day before.

I just checked all my bank statements for years 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016 and 2015: they are all for 3 months.

I didn't bother going back further.

If your extension is based on >65k monthly deposits, then I don't know what the requirement is for bank statements. It may be for the whole year.

But this is new for the ">800k baht" method.

New in Phuket for a Thai bank.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, JetsetBkk said:

I make copies of all documents that I give to Immigration, at home, the day before.

I just checked all my bank statements for years 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016 and 2015: they are all for 3 months.

If your extension is based on >65k monthly deposits, then I don't know what the requirement is for bank statements. It may be for the whole year.

Sorry, i cant see what the problem is. If you have your bank passbook updated the day you go to imm. all the records should be there.

I treat the B800000 as a gift to my wife when i fall over so it just sits in the bank. 

I did my retirement extension yesterday at Kalasin and no bank dramas.

Also at our bank they charge B100 for the letter, not B200.

• Confused 4

14 minutes ago, carlyai said:

Sorry, i cant see what the problem is. If you have your bank passbook updated the day you go to imm. all the records should be there.

I treat the B800000 as a gift to my wife when i fall over so it just sits in the bank. 

I did my retirement extension yesterday at Kalasin and no bank dramas.

Also at our bank they charge B100 for the letter, not B200.

Some imm offices are asking for bank statements, not just the copies of bankbook pages. Fortunately most do not. CW another example where statements not required for extensions based on money in bank method.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JetsetBkk said:

I live in Phuket and use the 800k in the bank for my retirement extension.  The requirement for bank statement for 12 month is not a new requirement.  I have provided it for my last 2 extension.  Be thankful, Phuket Immigration is not asking to show bank statement 3 months after extension to proof that you still have 800k for 3 months (they can check this from your 12 month bank statement).  My only gripe is they still want copies of my bank book pages even the bank has provided the 12-month statement. The 400k/40k COVID-19 health insurance is only needed when entering Thailand during this pandemic period not needed for extension.

2 hours ago, JetsetBkk said:

Mine has always been based on 800k in the bank. They always said they wanted to see that I was spending money each month, they wanted to see the movement, I always believed they were just being nosey more than anything else.

Edited by Brierley
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

Chiang Mai Immigration has been asking for 12 month statements

for at least a year,it just duplicates what is in your bank book,which

has to be updated the same day you go for extension, just extra cost

and hassle for the retiree.

regards Worgeordie 

Ok ive got it. Bankbook and printout. Gotta wonder.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

Some imm offices are asking for bank statements, not just the copies of bankbook pages. Fortunately most do not. CW another example where statements not required for extensions based on money in bank method.

Last month I did my extension at CW (retirement, money in the bank) and the officer looked very carefully at the one-year statement that SCB provided me (for an extra 200 baht).   She checked and highlighted certain lines in the annual statement.

I didn't ask her if the annual statement was required, but I'm sure glad I had it there in addition to the bank balance authorization letter.  

1 hour ago, Kopitiam said:

The requirement for bank statement for 12 month is not a new requirement.

Perhaps they let me off the last few years because I have an honest face?  ???? 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, JetsetBkk said:

Perhaps they let me off the last few years because I have an honest face?  ???? 

From subsequent experience...it makes a different to them if you keep the 800k tied up securely in a time deposit, once they see that they tend to care much less about wanting to see money movements throughout the year and the statements. I think the problem stems from people keeping their 800k in the same account they use for daily spending, I can see how that might make them nervous.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Brierley said:

From subsequent experience...it makes a different to them if you keep the 800k tied up securely in a time deposit, once they see that they tend to care much less about wanting to see money movements throughout the year and the statements. I think the problem stems from people keeping their 800k in the same account they use for daily spending, I can see how that might make them nervous.

Interesting. I used to keep >800k in my Krung Thai current account and always made sure it was above 800k. Then I got a leg infection - cellulitis - and was in hospital for 2 days at ~25k baht/day. This happened a month before my extension. I told the doctor that I had to leave and access my PC to transfer some money into my current account, which I did.

From then on, I kept the money in a fixed term deposit account and had no request for a 1-year bank statement until today.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

This is exactly the case. I would suggest that folk using money in the bank method have a designated bank account and don't use it for daily banking needs.

If someone makes a LOT of transactions with their bank account the bank can consolidate some transactions in bankbook updates. 

My 'extension' bankbook comes out of draw once per year.

Likewise, we never run the risk of going under the minimum by accident.

2 hours ago, JetsetBkk said:

What was the date on your bank statement relative to the visa application date? Last time I was at Phuket immigration the guy outside room 103 told me that my banking documents must all be dated same day as the visa application (for a new non-O visa, 800k method). Yet the checklist from immigration helpers indicates up to 7 days.

2 minutes ago, SEAsia Traveler said:

What was the date on your bank statement relative to the visa application date? Last time I was at Phuket immigration the guy outside room 103 told me that my banking documents must all be dated same day as the visa application (for a new non-O visa, 800k method). Yet the checklist from immigration helpers indicates up to 7 days.

Phuket makes up its own rules. Yes, Phuket wants the statement dated the same day...it's a nonsense.

1 minute ago, SEAsia Traveler said:

I got the bank statement yesterday. I don't think that is the problem. I've got a lot more than 800k in a fixed term deposit account, so I think they just let it go last year. Does anyone know when the "Full 1 Year" statement was first required?

It's odd that at least 4 other people were questioning the IO this morning about this requirement. He was getting a little "loud" which is quite unusual for him - the "joker" guy who likes to make people laugh.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Brierley said:

Phuket makes up its own rules. Yes, Phuket wants the statement dated the same day...it's a nonsense.

I don't think that's true. I always go to the bank one day and Immigration the next. That gives me time to photocopy all my documents for keeping for the next year. I've been doing that for... a long time!

• Like 1

According to my local immigration, they now want to see 12 months to ensure you're keeping the 800,000 for at least two months after your last extension (or is it three, I can never remember as I keep more than that in my bank all year) and not going under 400,000 anytime during the year.  They too used to accept the three months, but have been pushed by Bangkok to show that the rules have been followed. 

I've found that they require a statement, and not just a copy of the bank book, if a number of withdrawals and deposits have been consolidated, as per the post above.  In theory, you could withdraw below the 400,000 mark and then top it up again with multiple deposits prior to updating your bank book and it would just show up as one withdrawal and one deposit, with the balance not dropping below 400,000.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Brierley said:

Yes, I'm stuck on that because Bangkok Bank Floresta branch can only produce a bank statement dated the previous banking day. The bank letter and passbook, no problem, they can do same day, but can't produce a statement dated the same day. I've been rejected twice outside room 103 because of this. "Everything today!" the man says.

2 hours ago, carlyai said:

Do they ask how you are supporting yourself or to see any withdrawals, receipts, etc?  Or is it just a statement saying 800K has been and still is sitting in your Thai bank account?

• Like 1

My IO ( Ayutthaya ) requested, for the 1st time, a 12 month bank statement for a retirement extension ( from an OA visa ) using the 800k in the bank method when i extended Sept 2020.

Bkk Bank said a weeks notice was required for the 12 month statement but when I ordered on Tuesday afternoon it was ready Friday morning .

So, a 12 month statement plus the bank letter ( 300 baht ) and an updated bank book was required.

I think when the ruling came in that you had to have 800k 2 months before, 3 months after and not dropping below 400k many IO now request a 12 month statement.

• Like 2