Phuket Immigration Now Want Bank Statement for 1 YEAR for 1 Year Extension

2 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Bkk Bank said a weeks notice was required for the 12 month statement but when I ordered on Tuesday afternoon it was ready Friday morning .

So, a 12 month statement plus the bank letter ( 300 baht ) and an updated bank book was required.

SCB produce the statement on demand - no waiting - and letter. All for 200 baht. What a bargain!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

My IO ( Ayutthaya ) requested, for the 1st time, a 12 month bank statement for a retirement extension ( from an OA visa ) using the 800k in the bank method when i extended Sept 2020.

Bkk Bank said a weeks notice was required for the 12 month statement but when I ordered on Tuesday afternoon it was ready Friday morning .

So, a 12 month statement plus the bank letter ( 300 baht ) and an updated bank book was required.

I think when the ruling came in that you had to have 800k 2 months before, 3 months after and not dropping below 400k many IO now request a 12 month statement.

As usual it's different rules for different locations and even for different people. In Chiang Mai I am never asked for bank statements and haven't been for the past 12 years. Just the 400k fixed deposit book and that's it, doing that also covers the two months prior and the three months subsequent. My sympathies to those in different locations who have to jump thru. hoops.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Brierley said:

As usual it's different rules for different locations and even for different people. In Chiang Mai I am never asked for bank statements and haven't been for the past 12 years. Just the 400k fixed deposit book and that's it, doing that also covers the two months prior and the three months subsequent. My sympathies to those in different locations who have to jump thru. hoops.

Yup, although not too bad for me as the bank and IO are almost next to each other and only 10 minutes from my home.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ballpoint said:

According to my local immigration, they now want to see 12 months to ensure you're keeping the 800,000 for at least two months after your last extension (or is it three, I can never remember as I keep more than that in my bank all year) and not going under 400,000 anytime during the year.

That is all quite acceptable. I just wish they'd tell people about it before we waste our time and money getting the 3 month statement.

The poor guy outside room 103 at Phuket was getting visibly tired of explaining the bank statement requirement. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

Do they ask how you are supporting yourself or to see any withdrawals, receipts, etc?  Or is it just a statement saying 800K has been and still is sitting in your Thai bank account?

Never asked why im not using it. But seems to me too easy to draw it out, but then you've gotta put it back in again which is the hard part.

Have to worry about 2 months here and 3 months there and dont let it go below B400000. Better to just leave it there and not worry.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, carlyai said:

Sorry, i cant see what the problem is. If you have your bank passbook updated the day you go to imm. all the records should be there.

I treat the B800000 as a gift to my wife when i fall over so it just sits in the bank. 

I did my retirement extension yesterday at Kalasin and no bank dramas.

Also at our bank they charge B100 for the letter, not B200.

200 is for the statement, 100 for the letter

2 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Chiang Mai Immigration has been asking for 12 month statements

for at least a year,it just duplicates what is in your bank book,which

has to be updated the same day you go for extension, just extra cost

and hassle for the retiree.

regards Worgeordie 

If you do not update your bank book at least once a month, the bank will consolidate at few transaction into one entry (SCB does it), so it does not reflect the true "picture" in your bank book.  The 12-month statement shows all transaction within that period.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

I still believe Phuket has evolved into one of the better IOs in the country. I thin they are the only one that doesn't insist on the bogus O-A insurance for grandfathered expats.

Indeed. Those of us in other provinces end up paying a premium for not-needed Thai insurance, as our home country insurance is much more extensive. Phuket is an example of where having the latitude to 'adjust' home office rules is actually helpful.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, thonglorjimmy said:

I don't agree, I'm pretty sure that they know the word simple, and are also aware that making things simple doesn't mean that the applicant isn't complying with the appropriate rule.

I'm convinced that that many IO's like to be as difficult as they possibly can, because they have the power to be so, I can think of no other reason why the "rules" change so often when the Police Order doesn't. 

Yes, jut plain mean, have uniform so I'm a somebody, farang can't touch me.....lol

I can think of two reasons for this. The first is that transactions are often combined when you get your bank book updated so the IO can't see every withdrawal and deposit and might miss that one day when the balance went 20 baht below 400,000/800,000 baht.

The second is based on information from the Mrs, who informed me that at least one bank is no longer going to issue bank books. Yes, the books that many countries did away with many years ago might be phased out sometime in the future as more and more people are using apps to do their banking.

I'll believe it when it happens but could Immigration be factoring this possible move into the 21st century (well, late 20th century really) into their thinking?

As an aside, it's an urban myth that your bank statement and letter need to be issued on the day you go to Immigration. Many people, including me every year, go before the banks open.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Kopitiam said:

If you do not update your bank book at least once a month, the bank will consolidate at few transaction into one entry (SCB does it), so it does not reflect the true "picture" in your bank book.  The 12-month statement shows all transaction within that period.

I did not know that, I just use fixed account with Bangkok bank,can take

up to 7 days to get the statement,

regards worgeordie

• Like 1

14 hours ago, worgeordie said:

regards Worgeordie 

I use the "income" method and I have had to provide copies of each page of bankbook, the 1 year statement, which has to come from head office in Bangkok, and a letter to state I have had the minimum of 65k of international transfers each month So 3 forms of proof. That has been last 2 years in Chiang Mai. The year before last renewal I also had to show proof of where money came from in Australia. They did not want that this year. I don't get a pension and have been living off investments sales, gold, silver, shares, crypto.

17 hours ago, worgeordie said:

regards Worgeordie 

Agreed. I have always used the 65K a month transfer to meet the income requirement. But I use a agency as they keep up with any changing nuances at CM Immigration. As it would cost me 200 baht, plus 100 baht for the required bank statements and the agency costs 500 baht for this same service ... well, their charge of 200 baht more is a value ... handle it, handle it. Of course, they also do my 90 day reports, extension of Stay renewal and the associated O-A required insurance (hope to change visa in the future.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

16 hours ago, JetsetBkk said:
16 hours ago, JetsetBkk said:

Does anyone know when the "Full 1 Year" statement was first required?

It's odd that at least 4 other people were questioning the IO this morning about this requirement. He was getting a little "loud" which is quite unusual for him - the "joker" guy who likes to make people laugh.

I've presented a 12 month statement for the past 5 extensions.  It's been a requirement on the Phuket Immigration Volunteer website for at least 2-3 years.  I think they gave you a pass last year for some reason.

That "joker" guy has a AC/DC personality.  I try to say as little as possible to him.  You never know how he's going to react.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, carlyai said:

Better to just leave it there and not worry.

agreed.  This is the first year I didn't do the combo method and it was a breeze.  A lot less stress.  800,000 + a little extra in a separate account.  Have a second account for day to day.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dazinoz said:

I don't get a pension and have been living off investments sales, gold, silver, shares, crypto.

It is so good to hear this so totally relevant information.

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, PGSan said:

It is so good to hear this so totally relevant information.

I said this because so many times proof of pension was required and I do not get so more relevant than your brain can handle.

2 hours ago, LivingNThailand said:
18 hours ago, JetsetBkk said:
18 hours ago, JetsetBkk said:

It's odd that at least 4 other people were questioning the IO this morning about this requirement. He was getting a little "loud" which is quite unusual for him - the "joker" guy who likes to make people laugh.

I've presented a 12 month statement for the past 5 extensions.  It's been a requirement on the Phuket Immigration Volunteer website for at least 2-3 years.  I think they gave you a pass last year for some reason.

That "joker" guy has a AC/DC personality.  I try to say as little as possible to him.  You never know how he's going to react.

You appear to have screwed up my post that you quoted.  The paragraph starting "I've presented a 12 month statement..." is not mine. 

Tricky stuff, this 'putering.

Edited by JetsetBkk
  • Like 1

Something I just found stapled to my 2015 extension document copies:

462342265_NoBankStatements.jpg.059c8d03ac83f154112dc8107b18be30.jpg 

So maybe next year I'll keep the photocopies of the Bank Book pages in my case and not give them to the IO to check.

I'll just give him the 1 year Bank Statement and see if he asks for the Bank Book photocopies.

Note, in this list: "Copy face side of ATM card" - that never happened!  ????

Also note: "Letter from bank (Max 7 day)"  ????‍♂️

Yes, I know, this was 6 years ago...

20 hours ago, JetsetBkk said:

I don't know what happened, this computer stuff can be tricky sometimes.   I was responding to your comment.  And I meant to say

I've presented a 12 month statement for the past 5 extensions.  It's been a requirement on the Phuket Immigration Volunteer website for at least 2-3 years.  I think they gave you a pass last year for some reason. ????

Anyway, it will change again next year, won't it.  Keeps the brain ticking away.  At least it's only one time a year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JulesMad said:

Phuket is by far THE most unfriendly and uncooperative province in Thailand.

You must be not living in Phuket.  Phuket Immigration is one of the most progressive and considerate in Thailand.  Just to give you two examples - Drive-in for 90-day reporting (no form to fill, no copies of passport) and correct interpretation of health insurance requirement for O-A retirement extension.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JulesMad said:

Phuket is by far THE most unfriendly and uncooperative province in Thailand.

I don't believe that, at all. Mind you, the only other office I've been to was in Soi Suan Phlu in Bangkok. That place was a nightmare just because it was so big and so crowded.