Signing up for Thai Healthcare Program - Is it necessary and how to do for a Thai ?

Thomas J

My fiance is Thai but has never registered for the Thai healthcare program.  I have heard about the 30 baht plan but don't know if that is the general plan for everyone or just for a certain group of people.  Does she have to register?  If so, where does she do it and is there an advantage to doing it versus her just going to one of the hospitals in the event she needs treatment??

6 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

I have yet to meet a Thai who was not thoroughly familiar with this so I wonder if something got lost in translation in your discussions with her, or if she is being less than honest for some reason.

Thanks Sheryl, 

As always you are a wealth of information.  No, she lived out of the country for over 20 years and has only recently returned.  Now, we went yesterday to Bang Lamung hospital which "I believe" is the hospital she would be required to go to.  Her home is in Huay Yai close to the Floating Market.  She was told no they didn't issue cards.  If she required treatment for anything she would have to show up at 8:00 a.m. and register and then the hospital would issue her a card.  I found this strange since I traveled to Queen Sirikit hospital as a foreigner to get some information on Cataract surgery.  Despite that I am not covered by any Thai insurance and I never received a consultation, they signed me up with an ID card.  As I understand it, this card if given to any hospital tracks my medical history.   So I am wondering if she needs to go back to the local government clinic in the area or back to Bang Lamung to sign up for the 30 baht program or just wait until she does need any treatment as the  representative from Bang Lamung hospital stated. 

7 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

Thanks Sheryl, 

As always you are a wealth of information.  No, she lived out of the country for over 20 years and has only recently returned.  Now, we went yesterday to Bang Lamung hospital which "I believe" is the hospital she would be required to go to.  Her home is in Huay Yai close to the Floating Market.  She was told no they didn't issue cards.  If she required treatment for anything she would have to show up at 8:00 a.m. and register and then the hospital would issue her a card.  I found this strange since I traveled to Queen Sirikit hospital as a foreigner to get some information on Cataract surgery.  Despite that I am not covered by any Thai insurance and I never received a consultation, they signed me up with an ID card.  As I understand it, this card if given to any hospital tracks my medical history.   So I am wondering if she needs to go back to the local government clinic in the area or back to Bang Lamung to sign up for the 30 baht program or just wait until she does need any treatment as the  representative from Bang Lamung hospital stated. 

The hospitals are now using electronic system, not relying on cards, for both the 30 baht system and Social Security

However she should be able to pre-register for a hospital number, which will save a little time later

As long as her ID card shows her as living in Bang Lamang district she won't have a problem.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

The hospitals are now using electronic system, not relying on cards, for both the 30 baht system and Social Security

However she should be able to pre-register for a hospital number, which will save a little time later

As long as her ID card shows her as living in Bang Lamang district she won't have a problem.

Thank you.  Trying to obtain information from hospital personnel or the internet is like grabbing smoke.  You can see it, smell it, but can't grab a hold of it. 

19 hours ago, Sheryl said:

One alternative is to find a friend or acquaintance willing to list them; doesn't much matter of the listing is not the actual address they live at as long as it is in the same locale

Yes this can be done quite easily, my wife did it for a relative who was only staying a few months at a different address. 

On 5/6/2021 at 2:22 PM, Sheryl said:

3 - Universal (AKA "30 baht" or "gold card") scheme for everyone else.

Sheryl

One other person on this thread suggested checking my fiances registration on the Thai National Healthcare Services Database.

https://eservices.nhso.go.th/eServices/mobile/login.xhtml

I did that.  It had here registered but her name was completely misspelled and it her primary and secondary hospitals in Bangkok where she lived as a teenager.  Do we need to change this now or just wait until she requires some form of service here in Pattaya.  If it does need to be changed how does one go about that.  I went to the NHSO website but I don't see any information on change of address. 

It probably shows where she last used services, that's all.

Spelling (in Thai) needs to match her Thai ID card.

i don't think she needs to do anything but if concerned have her call the NHSO, call center is 1330.

• Thanks 1