Bad Day For a Haircut -

You'll next be lead to the temple to give money to make the bad luck go away.  Just another BS story to extract money, under the guise of "Thai culture" but I'm sure "your girl is different."  ????  

On 5/6/2021 at 6:53 AM, sipi said:

A bit like some of our early beliefs like covering a mirror during a thunderstorm. Old mirrors used to use lead paint and apparently would attract lightning.

What would you cover them with? A Faraday cage?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Fortean1 said:

I try to get to the local one man barbershop on Wednesdays. He told me last year no Wuhan virus in our area.  Riiiiight!  We live near Pak Nam Pran, a few miles south of Hua Hin.

Last visit I asked how he was doing.  He said his legs hurt.  Hmmm.?.?  He also has several U.S. Air Force camouflage uniforms hanging in his barbershop. 

Terry

USAF camo uniform in barbershop in 2016.jpg

How about you mate? Are you OK?

23 minutes ago, whaleboneman said:

How about you mate? Are you OK?

I'm more concerned about the owner of the camouflage uniform.  Possibly a MIA from the Vietnam War. 

Then again, he's probably sitting back on Da Nang Beach, drinking 25 baht beers, laughing at his Vet mates in Thailand paying double, or more.  ????

13 hours ago, BenDeCosta said:

In Isaan, my wife forces me to turn off my phone, desktop and laptop whenever it's raining. When she leaves the room, I just turn them back on again, and I'm still here.

I would think you could only get zapped if lightning hits and you are plugged it? If the power is properly grounded though....

Keeping peace at home is good though.

On 5/6/2021 at 12:13 AM, CharlieH said:

Errmm, you do know you are in the land of superstition, ghosts and spirits right ?

Do they believe 13 is an unlucky number, or a black cat crossing your path is unlucky, or walking under a ladder is unlucky? Is there a society that doesn't have superstitions?

In US there are shows built on exploring the paranormal.

No THai has ever been able to explain to me why Happy New Year is sawasdee pee mai.  I'm curious.

I have just consulted the fountain of all knowledge, who tells me that 'in the old days' the Royal Family would have their hair cut on Wednesdays, so the hoi polloi would not. Certainly when we first moved to Thailand we lived above her friend's salon in Ramkhamhaeng, and he would never open on a Wednesday.