Small flies

mran66

57 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I brought some flypaper rolls back from the UK once, or maybe, or got them here. Anyhow, put them up and nothing went near them, I was doing better with a swatter. 

of course they didn't work...what thai fly worth its salt would go near a uk trap...different smell silly

• Haha 1

Get a glass/tumbler or jar.

Roll an A4 sheet of paper into a cone shape leaving a 5 mm hole in the bottom. 

Put some banana into the glass/jar.

Put the paper cone in small end first and the large end closing the gap between the top of the glass.

Make sure their is a gap between the bottom of the cone and bottom of the glass.

Cut any excess paper off the cone.

How to Make a Fruit Fly Trap - CHOW Tip - YouTube

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, wombat said:

as an  Australian i can say if you keep your mouth closed they won't fly in and if they are not corpse flies your doing ok

Australian are not known for keeping their mouths closed.   ????

• Haha 1

On 5/6/2021 at 5:40 PM, Susco said:

Put glasses half full of water, add a teaspoon of dishwashing soap and vinegar to it.

Top it off with cellophane and make a few holes in it with a toothpick.

They are attracted to it

Have had good success with honey in the water instead of vinegar. Might try vinegar next time.

On 5/7/2021 at 6:05 AM, jacko45k said:

They certainly come into my house, although I do have many doors and windows open all day and do not have screens. From reading what someone posted here they must come from the expanse of land nearby as cassava is grown there. Also a fallen mango does get covered. Doubt the geckos do any good, plenty of more fulfilling flying termites around my night-lights. The waving zapper bat can sometimes get them... but they are in large numbers and another will be along shortly. 

These can get they screens they can walk thru or fly thru 

Edited by Aomelia

9 minutes ago, Aomelia said:

These can get they screens they can walk thru or fly thru 

that's usually the professional domain of the Flour Moth ???? image.jpeg.7aba463cdcb5ae5105e44ea0a7491321.jpeg 

No mesh can stop them 

• Sad 1

Bad this year especially this time of year, it is hot and humid, you sweat and here they come? I always thought because of the Durian which is high season it seems. Go to anyone selling it the basket where they throw the left overs jackpot!

I put a bit of regular OFF on my face pretty much takes care of it majority of the time. When I use to live upcountry eating at night particular outside you turn the light on and here they come the family would take a banana leave put oil over it and hang it a few feet away with a light.????

• Thanks 1

On 5/7/2021 at 9:40 AM, mran66 said:

Made two cocktails for them in the morning... The ones on my patio definitely are not attracted to it at all, seen none nearby the glasses, still buzzing into my ears so not gone away either, though it seems numbers are down after the rains and cooler day 

Will try the papers later, but wonder if they need a specific brand of soap or some higher grade vinegar to get attracted by the cocktail? I just put cheap one I've got from makro. 

just have a small fan out there, opiented to your face , no flies at all will bother you.

I find they do not like silver rimmed glasses. The light reflecting off the silver disturbs the sense of sight and direction. If you don’t normally wear glasses wrap some silver foil on your ears 555. 

• Haha 1

On 5/6/2021 at 5:40 PM, Susco said:

Put glasses half full of water, add a teaspoon of dishwashing soap and vinegar to it.

Top it off with cellophane and make a few holes in it with a toothpick.

They are attracted to it

or wine, they get drunk and drown - at least according to the breathalyzer I used..

3 hours ago, wombat said:

of course they didn't work...what thai fly worth its salt would go near a uk trap...different smell silly

Well then, there is your answer. Buy the UK fly papers and stick them to your exposed parts.....sorted, thank me later.

6 hours ago, thaisabai said:

go to 7/11. they sell a mosquito repellent in small spray bottles. (small pink labelled bottle, don't buy the one with a green label, it is too strong smelling)

spray a little on your arms, leg, neck and you will have piece.

thaisabai

I shoot them with it, stops them in mid flight as their wings are wet, then kill em, paper in my ears to stop them taking refuge in them, most fun I've been having due to covid. 

Might be gnats. I think you can find them everywhere except Antarctica. Tiny annoying little flies. Can be found everywhere from Norway to Malaysia and everywhere in between. 

12 hours ago, lodstewart said:

just have a small fan out there, opiented to your face , no flies at all will bother you.

That is the strange thing. A fan seems to blow away the mossies, but not these little flies. 

• Like 1

They do seem more like fruit flies than gnats. Don't recall ever being bit by one. I do notice them around the garbage can after a day or two if I throw something away that's not "dry".
Just saw my first one in almost 2 weeks this morning. Maybe it's dried up enough for them to fly around again (or a new batch has just hatched). Seems near impossible to get rid of them long term.
You can put up glue strips/traps, keep the screens closed and spray the rooms with bug killer once in awhile and that'll probably keep them to a minimum or at least give you long stretches without them (all going well).

On 5/7/2021 at 6:05 AM, jacko45k said:

They certainly come into my house, although I do have many doors and windows open all day and do not have screens. From reading what someone posted here they must come from the expanse of land nearby as cassava is grown there. Also a fallen mango does get covered. Doubt the geckos do any good, plenty of more fulfilling flying termites around my night-lights. The waving zapper bat can sometimes get them... but they are in large numbers and another will be along shortly. 

These can get they screens they can walk thru of fly thru 

In my local bar , farang landlords wife who is Thai had 1 of those tiny flies enter her ear . Landlord blew cigarette smoke into her ear and I said that the smoke had come out of the opposite ear , as a joke , however they did not think it was funny cos I was in tears from laughter cos she thought it was true .

On 5/6/2021 at 2:56 PM, Nojohndoe said:

In the evening I have noticed they congregate on anything hanging/dangling anywhere.

Small satisfaction in fly-spraying them then only to know possible millions are  unseen !

Deet does help deter them .

True . My  wife puts up string outside. They tend congregate around that then spray or set fire to string