Police Roadblock Winge

carlyai

8 minutes ago, carlyai said:

There were a 3 star and 2 star generals there. Gotta pick your arguments and with everyone getting a written ticket with all the brass there was not the right time.

I had the cruise control set to 110 kmph and they had me at 111 kmph. 

Am impressed

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Owiee said:

Normally you get a receipt, did you get one if not did you ask for one,?

Yes got a receipt.

Thing is its a 4 lane major highway with no speed signs and someone (police at road block) says its only 90 kmph. 

2 hours ago, carlyai said:

There were a 3 star and 2 star generals there. Gotta pick your arguments and with everyone getting a written ticket with all the brass there was not the right time.

I had the cruise control set to 110 kmph and they had me at 111 kmph. 

Fair enough. In that case.... doing 110 (or 111) kmh in a 90 kmh zone it appears. 

No hardship. Fairly fined. 

Could you receive the ‘ticket’ to pay later, or did you have to pay on the spot ???

(I know you paid on the spot and received a receipt)

• Like 2

Hey everyone has to eat.. lol. Some months back they had 

road block checking DL, Registration....  

my registration was a month past.. my fault. Officer tells wall 

across 4 lane rarely busy and pay 500 baht at the table and 

received receipt. I said Thank you have a nice day .. see ya. 

I’m walking back 4 lane to car .. get half and turned and went 

back to table. The officer who took and gave receipt said questions. 

I take back the have a nice day and I hope to never see you 

again,.. he rolled his eyes and pointed to go.. must of been a 

Senior moment..  in the day time.. 

• Like 1

I always roll window down and demand to see photo, and say, no photo, no pay !

Some times works, lol

But i always empty my wallet apart from maybe 40 baht, so when pulled, say no money and show the wallet

Also works if you carry 500 baht in small coins, and say its all you have got, and proceed to pour them out on the table, which usually then involves a lot of arm waving and told to go >

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:
1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Seems the big digits don’t help.... Explain your point ?

Some posts sound like drivers don't know the limit for a 4 lane divided highway?

I must admit to being one of those posters who are unsure of the speed limit on a 4 lane divided highway.

But, there were plenty of announcements a few months ago that the speed limits across the nation had been increased from 90kmh to 120kmh for all major roads of 4 lanes or more consisting of 2 lanes in each direct separated by a median.

"The Royal Gazette website on Wednesday published a transport ministerial regulation raising the speed limit on four lane highways or more from a maximum 90 km/hour to 120 km/hour"

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/30403563

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Sad 1

31 minutes ago, RobMuir said:

You should know that on highways that are not marked the speed limit is 90 or less depending on your vehicle type.

In built up area it is 80.

It is part of the Thai licence test. Everyone knows it. 20kms over in Oz you would be looking at 10,000+ baht.

Amazing how many foreigners have no idea of the basic road laws but then  complain about the Thai roads being dangerous.

Those basic ‘road laws’ have changed and are inconsistently enforced. 

Consider the announcements regarding he nationwide increase of speed limits from 90 to 120 kmh (links in my post above). 

Additionally: Bangkoks expressways - I’ve driving in BKK for 20 years. 

The speed limit would appear to be 90kmh. 

The illumitated signs on the road (orange once) state 80kmh.

Speeding tickets indicate 120kmh.

However, the Pol Maj Gen Ekkarat Limsangkart, deputy commander of the Police Education Bureau who heads the police panel in charge of improving traffic law, said the speed limit of 90 kilometres per hour on expressways and motorways has been in place for 40 years !!!!

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/30360796

So... Which is it ?????  80kmh, 90kmh or 120kmh....   and if it was 90kmh why did speeding tickets indicate that it is 120kmh ????

• Like 2

7 hours ago, carlyai said:

The speed limit (according to the police) is 90 kmph on this straight 4 lane highway and the fine is B500. Nice mornings work but BS.

If you're talking about Route 12, which I'm sure you must be then it's a fare cop. That road is not a motorway, so the national speed limit of 90kph applies. In fact there are no motorways in this part of Thailand.

Edited by Moonlover
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, RobMuir said:

It is part of the Thai licence test. Everyone knows it. 20kms over in Oz you would be looking at 10,000+ baht.

Amazing how many foreigners have no idea of the basic road laws but then  complain about the Thai roads being dangerous.

Most foreigners do not take a Thai Licence test...  

We just have to look at a few colours, make sure two sticks line up, push a pedal when a red light shines and watch a juvenile video about Khun Suay driving nicely, Khun Jai Raun  and Khun Jai dee hitting his brakes softly..... 

So... Rob... Did you do a driving Test in Thailand ?? Where did YOU learn the speed limits?

And... what of the newer limits? are then in effect now or has that been rolled back ?

Honestly, I am not sure what the speed limits are at all on the expressways. But, I know for certain I’ll not get a ticket if I drive over 120 kmh (in and around the Bangkok Expressways and Tollway anyway)

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

20kms over in Oz you would be looking at 10,000+ baht.

3mph over in the UK and its £100 and 3 points (i.e. 33mph in a 30 zone - my latest UK ticket).

My Wife was ticketed twice on the same day in Central Bangkok on the Chalong Rat Expressway (stretch of expressway from Pattanakarn to Sukhumvit 50) - Photographed at 126kmh (both times), 500 baht fine.

Speed limit on the ticket itself was stated as 120 kmh. 

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Consider the announcements regarding he nationwide increase of speed limits from 90 to 120 kmh (links in my post above). 

However, the Pol Maj Gen Ekkarat Limsangkart, deputy commander of the Police Education Bureau who heads the police panel in charge of improving traffic law, said the speed limit of 90 kilometres per hour on expressways and motorways has been in place for 40 years !!!!

So... Which is it ?????  80kmh, 90kmh or 120kmh....   and if it was 90kmh why did speeding tickets indicate that it is 120kmh ????

If you are still unable to read Thai, try Wikipedia " Speed limits in Thailand"

Even children who don't drive know this rule, it has been the same for 40 years.

It is very simple, 90 KMs unless signed otherwise. If you don't know the road laws you shouldn't be on the road.

Sounds like your wife has a lead foot. Good on her.

Edited by RobMuir
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Joinaman said:

always roll window down and demand to see photo, and say, no photo, no pay !

Was on the way to Udon Thani airport the turn into airport

stopped shown picture rear tires in the line when light changed. 

I was driving and our Thai wives cousin going to drive car back home..he doesn’t English gotout and talking to police .. then officer told me go to table pay.

the whole time the officer never spoke English until i

got to the pay table.. he said your fine was 500 now

1,000 then he said next time tell your friend keep 

mouth shut..  

anyway I had a beer with lunch and didn’t want to push my luck..

57 minutes ago, RobMuir said:
2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Expand  

Even children who don't drive know this rule, it has been the same for 40 years.

It is very simple, 90 KMs unless signed otherwise. If you don't know the road laws you shouldn't be on the road.

What is the speed limit on the Expressways in Bangkok ????

The speed limit on the Motorways is quite clear - its 120kmh and its clearly signposted. 

1 hour ago, RobMuir said:

Now partially outdated with the speed limit changes announced in March

The speed limits recently changed from 90 to 120kmh for 4 lane highways ?

.... erm... did you know the speed limits changed from 90 to 120kmh for 4 lane highways ?

... if you can’t keep up to date with the road laws perhaps you shouldn’t be on the road !!!  

• Thanks 1

My story, happened about 15 years ago, and I know it will be met with disbelieve.

Driving to Ubon in daytime. I think from Korat to Ubon is called road #24.

At that time the road is still mainly 2 lanes, with a 4 lane section of maybe 10 kilometres, with middle reservation, near where the weight bridge is.

No doubt on that section you pedal to the metal.

One of my trips, half way down that section there is a police block. Everyone got stopped in both directions.

In the middle reservation are 2 tables setup with 4 policemen sitting, and they can't keep up with writing tickets, so you should know already what is going on.

It was a queue to get your turn, as it is a quite busy road.

When it's my turn I ask what I did wrong, and the policeman says I drove 110 Km/h, and takes my driver license. I know he was lying, and had no evidence, because I was way over that speed.

So I get to the table, and one of the policemen who holds my license already start writing the ticket.

I ask him again what was my speed, to which he answers, you drive too fast.

I object to him in a friendly manner, and asks how he measured my speed. By holding two wet fingers in the air, while at the same time licking 2 fingers and holding them up?

The policeman at the table looks up for the first time, then stands up, gives me some joking punches in my stomach, hands me back my driver license, and says go go, while still laughing.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

90!

Maybe big digits help?

Surprising that some foreigners seem to have no idea.

Well, having at least 1 speed sign on the 80 odd km straight 4 lane highway would help me, dont know about you. ????

1 hour ago, carlyai said:

You mean the speed camera dont you?

The speedometer is the reference here.

Well no, Typically speedo's read a few km fast.

For example, I set my CC for 130km/h know that the speedo  read fast, If I forget to brake at known fixed speed camera locations I will get a ticket in the mail for (typically) 125km/h.

I was driving on a stretch of that road yesterday morning, Nong Sung up to Kud Waa near Kunchinarai. On the new 4 lane section most vehicles were speeding over 100 kph. 

My understanding is that on this new 4 lane highway, construction has not been fully completed in some parts. Therefore the old speed limit of 90 kph still applies. 

Last week I drove on the 4 lane highway from Ubon to Roi-et. I drove at 100 kph and I had to keep moving into the left-hand lane to allow the cars going at 110-120 kph to speed in the right-hand lane. Since the speed limit was increased to 120 kph, cars are going that fast in the right-hand lanes. Even on the 4-lane ring road around Ubon city. 90 kph is just far too slow in the right-hand lanes. 

4 hours ago, Michael Hare said:

My understanding is that on this new 4 lane highway, construction has not been fully completed in some parts. Therefore the old speed limit of 90 kph still applies. 

Thank you. So the police were doing their job efficiently and i was wrong. Ill never ever winge about the police again. ????

• Like 2