Thailand previews difficult life without tourists

snoop1130

26 minutes ago, Blumpie said:

It's going to be many many years before that happens.  Many years.  They are just not inoculating as fast as they should there, and they really don't care.  

I believe they realize it's another form of control that has suddenly just happened and nobody really cares about it either.  Chinese are wary of the virus, unlike most.  

I think it will be a lot sooner than that. Hopefully early next year.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, BenDeCosta said:

Some of the other countries in the region seem to care more about their tourism industries, so I suspect that over the years to come many people will prefer to go to Vietnam, the Philippines or even Cambodia. Of course, each country has its positives and negatives but if Thailand just keeps burying its head in the sand whilst all the other countries continue to improve their experiences for holiday-makers, then Thailand is just shooting itself in the foot.

I suspect that even the sex-tourists you mention will end up going to other places, if they haven't started doing so already.

The difference between the nice smile, greeting and welcome that I get when I go to Malaysia is just the opposite of the scowl and silent treatment I usually get at Suvarnabhumi. 

If the Malaysian Immigration department can train its staff to be polite and friendly to visitors that have decided to come to their country and spend most of the money that they've worked all year to save up, then why can't Thailand do it?

Exactly Ben.  And my calculation is that Thai society -- as a whole -- is willing to trade that smile for the eradication of the image of Thailand as an international sex tourist mecca.  IOW, they would willingly forego the lost income as a result.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

20 minutes ago, TaoNow said:

Exactly Ben.  And my calculation is that Thai society -- as a whole -- is willing to trade that smile for the eradication of the image of Thailand as an international sex tourist mecca.  IOW, they would willingly forego the lost income as a result.

And yet it doesn't seem that Pattaya city hall is using the opportunity to definitively close down areas such as soi 6, which reopens like a mushroom as soon as restrictions are removed (I witnessed it during a visit last December).

Edited by Brunolem
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1