Thailand previews difficult life without tourists

snoop1130

2 minutes ago, BenDeCosta said:

Trying to shut down the sex industry in Pattaya is like trying to ban gambling in Las Vegas. The one thing that has caused the place to flourish and provide thousands of locals with income, and it's the one thing they want to get rid of. I don't think they've actually thought it through.

Ben:  The key point to keep in mind is that the sex industry is demand-driven. 

For example, you can't just go to any town and open a brothel and expect there to be customers. That's the supply-side strategy.

By contrast, if there is demand, then the market will respond. 

What Covid has done is decimate the demand side of the equation -- for whatever reason (fear of infection, the hassles of travel and enforced quarantine, lack of entertainment options besides bars, etc.).

In sum, the demand for easy sex is drying up.   So, Patpong, Cowboy, Pattaya, Patong, etc., will have to reinvent themselves.

Into what, I have no idea.  Over to you...

• Like 2

If Thailand hadn't eased up on the Songkran festival, the third wave wouldn't have happened.

Tourists can't even dine-in at restaurants and you expect tourists to be locked up in their hotel rooms?

India made the same mistake, now look what happened to them.

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, connda said:

Thailand is a very confused country.

First Thailand cries that it no longer has adequate tourist revenues, then its citizens vote to kick all foreigners out of their communities while Thai media is busy bashing foreigners for "misdeeds" (like failure to wear a mask) while ignoring the hundreds of Thais who fail to do the same.  (Foreigners = Bad; Thais = Good)

Then when tourists fail to return because they either have heard via word of mouth from friends that the Thai Smile is only around as long as there is money to be made, and that under that Thai rictus-grin lies a heart of xenophobia and a less than subtle dislike of all foreign outsiders - or - they encounter a fear-produced and sustained regulatory gauntlet of rules, regulations, requirements, and quarantines that simply makes vacationing in Thailand too much of a hassle to deal with and tourists opt to travel to destinations and spend their vacation dollars in countries which are more welcoming.

And Thailand will never understand, they will never make the connection, they will not "get it."  In the end, foreigners will take the brunt of the blame.  (Foreigner = Bad; Thai = Good)
They need to find a different math.

Spot on! Not only did the health minister label tourists as 'dir**' last year, but there also seems to be a common perception now, thanks to politicians and mass media, among (poorer) Thais that 'white people spread Covid in Thailand'...

Well, I am one of many tourists in Thailand, but the rising xenophobia had me think about travelling and spending money in Thailand. I will just keep my travel funds 'dry', waiting for friendlier places to open their borders again next year.

Thailand likes Chinese tourists, so they should wait for them. Good luck, Thailand!

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, kimamey said:

I've never noticed this attitude from Thais in Isaan where I live or in general but I do think it may exist in government circles which means it has a greater effect.

I don't know about the Thai smile but Thai politeness exits but with limits. Anyone who claims Thais are always polite has never driven on Thai roads.

The prevailing xenophobia is, in my opinion, driven primarily by Sino Thais and Sino Thai elites in particular. Experience shows in virtually every part of the world where there are large ethnic Chinese national populations, there is a deep xenophobia for outsiders. Now, it's not just ethnic Chinese, of course. East Asians are largely deeply xenophobic. I love and respect Japanese culture, but I would NEVER live in Japan.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, papa al said:

You gents so sensitive; or ...

people get what they give.?

Thai people nice to papa.

100%. 

More likely, If papa has money, papa is treated nicely.