Migration push among young-gen Thais ignites fierce debate over country’s direction

snoop1130

000_1WO0WZ.jpeg

Passengers wearing face masks and a protective suit as a preventive measure against the COVID-19 coronavirus arriving at the departure terminal of Suvarnabhumi airport in Bangkok. (Photo by Romeo GACAD / AFP)

Thai social media has lit up with heated debate about citizens who have vowed to leave the country over growing frustration with the government’s COVID-19 vaccination policy.

Both sides of the political divide, including scholars and political analysts, have been trading barbs and arguments since the launch of the “Yai Prathet Kan Ther” (Let’s Move Out of the Country) Facebook campaign on Saturday (May 1).

The campaign, thought to be driven by young people, had drawn more than 700,000 followers as of press time on Tuesday. The campaign’s hashtag was also trending on Twitter, with over 528,000 tweets and retweets.

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/migration-push-among-young-gen-thais-ignites-fierce-debate-over-countrys-direction/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2021-05-06

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pottinger said:

"Thai youth seeking change are met with state violence that is used to show them their proper place, that is, in a prostate position at the feet of their "elders" and their social "betters."

Err, 'prostrate' might be better here - unless you mean they have fingers up their posteriors.

It only hurts when you laying down

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

Unfortunately for many of these, when they get a taste of the outside world, they never want to go back to Thailand.

The best and brightest already looking for greener pastures years before all this sh+f.

Some years back my Head of Department at a very prestigious public school became annoyed at me as I created my own adhoc international university guidance program. I sent dozens of students abroad.

Her agitation was twofold:

1. parents would contact her complaining their child was pushing them to study abroad (a) cost (b) their loss of the child not just for four years but forever.

2. She literally saw the huge success I was having as a national brain drain (these are the cream of Thailand). Of course, she'd held this opinion ffo years, it wasn't just my grand ambitions. She felt that all bright students headed abroad would not return. Given her position and the school's huge and powerful alumni association I was in no position to doubt this.

Some do. Many don't.

I've heard rumors that the high level Thai merit scholarships will be discontinued. It's also rumored because the (a) students are 'unappreciative' toward the benevolence of the donor <it's actually the TAXPAYER> (b) some scholarships force/require students to return and work in ggovernment posts. They are not returning.

Edited by kynikoi
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Fromas said:

The modern world's a village. If they want to go, they can't be stopped.

It used to be, they've pretty much stopped travel between the "villages" now though...

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, kynikoi said:

The best and brightest already looking for greener pastures years before all this sh+f.

Some years back my Head of Department at a very prestigious public school became annoyed at me as I created my own adhoc international university guidance program. I sent dozens of students abroad.

Her agitation was twofold:

1. parents would contact her complaining their child was pushing them to study abroad (a) cost (b) their loss of the child not just for four years but forever.

2. She literally saw the huge success I was having as a national brain drain (these are the cream of Thailand). Of course, she'd held this opinion ffo years, it wasn't just my grand ambitions. She felt that all bright students headed abroad would not return. Given her position and the school's huge and powerful alumni association I was in no position to doubt this.

Some do. Many don't.

I've heard rumors that the high level Thai merit scholarships will be discontinued. It's also rumored because the (a) students are 'unappreciative' toward the benevolence of the donor <it's actually the TAXPAYER> (b) some scholarships force/require students to return and work in ggovernment posts. They are not returning.

Agree and it is quite easy to understand.

Thai's educated in the US can certainly make more money and have more opportunities.

The freedom to travel, come and go, speak their minds.

14 hours ago, connda said:

Thai youth seeking change are met with state violence that is used to show them their proper place, that is, in a prostate position at the feet of their "elders" and their social "betters."
So Thai youth who seek change are standing up, taking their lives into their own hands, and choosing to expatriate themselves for a chance at a better life. 

The Thai status quo is all about "face."  And by rejecting the status quo, the youth have left those who believe they are superior faceless. 

I wish these kids the best.  Go!  See the world.  Gain experience.  Then return and foster positive change in a country desperately  needing a shove to push them into the future and out of their cultural and nationalistic rut.

Many Thais have now been overseas, for work or holiday, they've witnessed other lifestyles/cultures and have had their eyes opened up to what life could be like in a more modern and free country.

When they return to Thailand they start making plans to move for ever.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

It is an excellent idea. With the regressive army in charge here, there is no doubt the nation is moving backwards. And there is no change in sight. There is segment of the youth here that are progressive, want change, and want society to move forward

What are the things that the "regressive" army wants to do and the things that the "progressive" youth want to do? Can you be clear about these differences. Thank you.

8 minutes ago, johnbarley said:

What are the things that the "regressive" army wants to do and the things that the "progressive" youth want to do? Can you be clear about these differences. Thank you.

Well start with electing a government and allowing the group or coalition of groups which gains the most seat and votes govern, as opposed to blatantly rigging the election to allow the Junta remain in power..,

The first is pretty progressive, the second pretty regressive.

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Fromas said:

The modern world's a village. If they want to go, they can't be stopped.

But the recipient countries still have standards, as they mostly always did.

Sure all can dream about leaving but in reality you have to be useful to the country to which you wish to go. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

Unfortunately for many of these, when they get a taste of the outside world, they never want to go back to Thailand.

My wife knows several Thais who have gone overseas to live or on extended visits, and not one , not one, has wanted to return.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

Well start with electing a government and allowing the group or coalition of groups which gains the most seat and votes govern, as opposed to blatantly rigging the election to allow the Junta remain in power..,

The first is pretty progressive, the second pretty regressive.

Ok, a democratic form of government. Is this the main dispute? Are there others?

I think most of us, and most Thais understand that they will not, or can not go, for all sorts of reasons; but this Facebook campaign lays down a marker.

If we add together the figures from Facebook and Twitter that is one and a quarter million markers.

That is an awful lot of markers!

4 hours ago, hotchilli said:

have had their eyes opened up to what life could be like in a more modern and free country.

Just wondering what young Thais cannot do that I did when I was young?

Cannot get a job?

Cannot find a partner?

Cannot find somewhere to live?

Cannot buy a car/motorbike?

Maybe I was too easy to please?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, johnbarley said:

I quite literally would not know where to start, and if you have to ask the question you have either not been paying attention for the past 6 years, or you are baiting me.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, johnbarley said:

Ok, a democratic form of government. Is this the main dispute? Are there others?

Don't mention the endemic corruption, nepotism, lack of press freedom, education, ... we don't want to make people lose face...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Just wondering what young Thais cannot do that I did when I was young?

Cannot get a job?

Cannot find a partner?

Cannot find somewhere to live?

Cannot buy a car/motorbike?

Maybe I was too easy to please?

Even pre-covid the major percentage of Thai youth were limited by substandard education for employment in any mass amounts of significant opportunity. Now even the better placed have less chances or have even been displaced.

For the  remaining factors millions have them all but the associated living costs and credit trap keeps them poor .

And social media keeps them distracted and duped into a fantasy of social relevance .

23 hours ago, connda said:

Thai youth seeking change are met with state violence that is used to show them their proper place, that is, in a prostate position at the feet of their "elders" and their social "betters."
So Thai youth who seek change are standing up, taking their lives into their own hands, and choosing to expatriate themselves for a chance at a better life. 

The Thai status quo is all about "face."  And by rejecting the status quo, the youth have left those who believe they are superior faceless. 

I wish these kids the best.  Go!  See the world.  Gain experience.  Then return and foster positive change in a country desperately  needing a shove to push them into the future and out of their cultural and nationalistic rut.

That seems the most likely reason. I can't see the Covid response being al that relevant or at least it shouldn't be. The Thai government got it pretty much right to start with but made a mess of things with the vaccine which is the opposite of the UK. I'm sure Covid will be dealt with as much as possible eventually but the changes you mention seem a long way away and young people are able to see outside the country. That's why some countries try to prevent too much internet access with nations.

On 5/6/2021 at 12:01 PM, connda said:

I left Thailand on a Thai Airways flight on 18th April 2021 to London. The plane was a B777 and was full except for about 10 empty seats. By my estimation 95% of passengers were Thais. There were a lot of kids and families. University student age and young adult Thais too. TBH I was a little surprised at the number of Thais leaving. I don't beleive they were going on vacation. The Covid-19 testing alone (3 tests required for UK) would be at least 10,600 Baht per person.

Edited by soi3eddie
  • Haha 1