Migration push among young-gen Thais ignites fierce debate over country’s direction

snoop1130

2 hours ago, Nojohndoe said:

Even pre-covid the major percentage of Thai youth were limited by substandard education for employment in any mass amounts of significant opportunity. Now even the better placed have less chances or have even been displaced.

So tell me a country in the world where the youth do not consider themselves similarly treated.

They have no <deleted> idea how the world works. Higher education is not a vehicle for a better job. Everyone starts at the bottom. 

So while they can demonstrate against poor education opportunities for themselves it may not change their circumstances. Their time would be better spent on-line improving their education.

Edited by VocalNeal

9 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

So tell me a country in the world where the youth do not consider themselves similarly treated.

They have no <deleted> idea how the world works. Higher education is not a vehicle for a better job. Everyone starts at the bottom. 

So while they can demonstrate against poor education opportunities for themselves it may not change their circumstances. Their time would be better spent on-line improving their education.

I would/could not specifically nominate any country where the youth "do not consider themselves similarly treated "  but I would definitely argue against your claim that "everyone" starts at the  bottom.

Note that I avoid reference  to the association of "higher education" because in terms of becoming an "affordable" product has lost  much of it's original relevance.

As  such it has  and is becoming incrementally if not  exponentially , in genuine terms , to the point where a "degree" even in some obscure subject category is the minimum to be considered for employment  to pump  fuel into  vehicles because it simply demonstrates the extent to absorb "instruction" in the form of formatted information.

In Thailand's generic education system it  generally adheres to the minimalist instructional concept throughout so as to (theoretically?) objectionable  free thinking.

Qualification supercedes education  in the realms of elitist control. The wealthy  can purchase such qualification. Sadly they cannot  purchase  intelligence or original free thinking..

On 5/6/2021 at 6:04 PM, Fromas said:

The modern world's a village. If they want to go, they can't be stopped.

You greatly underestimate the power of repressive governments. 

One needs a passport to leave or enter countries. 

The day is coming when some countries will choose to keep their sheep and cattle in their own corrals. 

I don't disagree with your sentiment but to so readily dismiss the 'ties that bind us' (and our assets) is naive. 

• Like 2

On 5/7/2021 at 12:10 PM, soi3eddie said:

I left Thailand on a Thai Airways flight on 18th April 2021 to London. The plane was a B777 and was full except for about 10 empty seats. By my estimation 95% of passengers were Thais. There were a lot of kids and families. University student age and young adult Thais too. TBH I was a little surprised at the number of Thais leaving. I don't beleive they were going on vacation. The Covid-19 testing alone (3 tests required for UK) would be at least 10,600 Baht per person.

It is not a huge number like the chinese hordes, but there is a strong tradition of Thai students joining UK boarding schools and universities. These families can afford the necessary testing and quarantine expenses. It is likely you observed a return to school/college wave.....

• Like 1

On 5/6/2021 at 1:06 PM, connda said:

Somchai Srisutthiyakorn, a former member of the Election Commission, echoed that point, saying young people want to move overseas because they have lost all hope in Thai politics.

He urged the authorities to not to ignore this trend among the younger generation or view it as mere wishful fantasy.

“These people do not hate the country. Instead, its rulers have made them feel Thailand is no longer a good place to live, so they want to go,” he said.

They'll be back.  And when they come back they will be older, wiser, wealthier, and more powerful.  Then?  Status Quo? 
Watch out.  ????

Somchai makes a good remark. He should have thought about it before sabotaging the 2014 elections.

• Like 1

Of course the regime's response, from the Minister of Digital Economy (the new one, not the one out on bail) was to threaten some who posted on the FB page (Let's Move Abroad) about leaving Thailand.

And people wonder why kids want to leave.

For those who say they should stay and change things, forget about it. You'll get disappeared, jailed (without bail) and have your family threatened.

Here all nails get pounded down

Back in the '90s, a young Thamanat Prmpow (or whatever alias he was using at the time) struck out for Australia with that entrepreneurial spirit. He returned and has done OK.

• Haha 1