Beware scammer at Suvarnabhumi Airport departure floor

cranki

Funny that such still works/attempted.

Remember such colorful stories from the past decades (not in Thailand).

Just that is was about train tickets or the like.

The bad thing: you get hardened by such pr*ck.... and tend to build more mistrust.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

I don't think the word "scoundrel" is in common use in the US

It is for the well read...I enjoy the classics...which of course were mainly set in old England

8 hours ago, tonray said:

Wait a minute....I thought only we Americans were criminals and scoundrels ! ????

nah not only....but well in the forefront for sure....????

• Haha 1

Man that is a very old scam.

I got done at London Euston Station about 40 years ago with a similar scam, not much money but same sort of angle.

One month later the same bloke approached me again, obviously he does not pay attention to his marks.

He ran like a rabbit when I confronted him and asked for my  quid back ????

During SARS I flew into a deserted Beijing airport for the first time. A uniformed boy greeted me at the arrival and when I said I was flying on to Wuhan he offered to 'help me'. He had an official (!) badge and he took me and my trolley to a cafe where I killed several hours, all the time checking now and again to se if I was 'OK'.

He returned in time to 'help' me to the gate.

I figured I'd obviously give him a trip but as we neared the deparure area he hit me up for 500 RMB. I was a bit upset but hid it well and kept walking slowly till I got to the deparure area gate where I just passed through quickly. He was obviously not official as he couldn't follow me and was not pleased when I waved him goodbye.

Scammers!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, tonray said:

Wait a minute....I thought only we Americans were criminals and scoundrels ! ????

But the sins were done in the Gringo land, so all fine in LOS...

I got hit up at Heathrow years ago by a Scottish guy claiming he had lost his wallet and needed to get back up north .

I was in the process of dropping him a fiver when a security guard came along and something along the lines “ come on Robbie you’ve been told before about this “ .

Very common in the US to be accosted when leaving a mall by someone who’s “ car had broken down “ !!

So far I had managed to avoid shelling out until:

A TVF member who tapped me up for 7,000 baht just over a year ago for “ visa expenses “. Ironically I have his passport photo and some docs but he never had the decency to pay me back .

I had the same experience leaving Swampy last year March. The guy who approached me said he was from Serbia and blablabla. As I worked a lot in the past with Yugoslavians and picked up some of the language I replied him in his mother tongue and was convinced he was telling the truth. Anyway I gave him € 50, we exchanged phone numbers, I made him call my phone, and I should send him my bank account from home which I did but never got my money back and I wasn't surprised. Anyway little money so it didn't bother me.

• Haha 1

This scam is as old as the hills, different location, same angle.

I first encountered it as a young naive American when I was traveling in West Germany for work.

I was approached in Hamburg airport by a guy, who with perfect English and suspect it could have been in several perfect languages, claiming he was stranded, lost his wallet and could I give him a few DM's to help him get a ticket back to West Berlin.

I think if you really want help then go with this person to the place to solve the problem (in this case go to the counter to change his flight ticket with him) If he is serious he will be happy to do. If a scam, he is not interested to go to the counter for changing his ticket)!

On 5/11/2021 at 1:55 PM, GinBoy2 said:

This scam is as old as the hills, different location, same angle.

I first encountered it as a young naive American when I was traveling in West Germany for work.

I was approached in Hamburg airport by a guy, who with perfect English and suspect it could have been in several perfect languages, claiming he was stranded, lost his wallet and could I give him a few DM's to help him get a ticket back to West Berlin.

What is really sad is that sometimes it's actually true.

I forget the exact details but my then 60 year old sister flew into Orly in France only to discover her connecting flight was out of Charles DeGaul. It got worse; her wallet was gone.

She didn't have enough money to get to CDG.   She was really desperate and made herself ask some fellow travelers and getting the expected skeptical responses.

A young woman overheard her and gave her $40.  When my sister asked for her contact details so she could pay her back when she got home the woman said:  Don't worry about it.  Somebody once trusted me and helped in the same way."

It's a tough call.

• Like 2