Does anyone know why 100 Pipers whisky just went up by 18% today?

I gave up beer 4 years ago and started drinking whisky with lots of soda, Thai style.

I started on Bells, but now my choice is 100 Pipers.  I get the 700 ml bottle which until today cost 399 for a 700 mls bottle.

I went to 7/11 earlier to get a new one and BANG!  It was suddenly 469 baht.  The 7/11 girls couldn't explain why because all other alcohol products, including beer, were the same as before.

Does anyone have any idea why Seagrams should suddenly hike the price by almost 20%?

And what's Blend 285 Signature like, drunk with a ton of ice and a load of soda?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Can't say for sure.  7/11 In my province won't even sell alcohol.

My local Mom & pop shop is usually 400b For 700 ml pipers. Calling the supplier now to find out. Will get back to directly for 182 ect.

• Like 1

I can't account for the price hike, maybe there's been an import tax increase. It comes from India I believe.

But like you I do enjoy whisky soda. and my staple for quite a few years now has been Golden Stag. It's lighter and a bit sweeter than most whiskies and makes for a very pleasant evening drink with plenty of ice and soda, preferably rock mountain soda.

• Like 1

I doubt that it was 300 Baht in the past.

I don't know the exact price for 100 pipers, but I know that Bells is 349, and I 100 pipers has always cost more.

This is the price at Wish Beer.

image.png.6410e0bbef7e722b65985bf457a3b114.png

Edited by Susco
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Susco said:

Some people don't need to make money any more, they're just trying to spend it all before they depart ????

Well, if they are concerned about 6,000 THB on booze as a pensioner.... then they don't need to even try to spend it all before they depart....

1 hour ago, Don Chance said:

Baclofen will cost 25 baht a day. May save your life too.

Baclofen for what?

Don't self medicate, if he wants to quit a medical professional should give him whatever drug he considers...

Edited by expatjustice

There has been somewhat of a "crisis" involving global shipping as of late, involving shipping containers (don't think it affects air freight as much).  Maybe it has something to do with this.

Here's a sample, for more details do a search

https://www.dw.com/en/coronavirus-pandemic-triggers-shipping-container-crisis/a-57162384

Edited by bendejo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, expatjustice said:

Baclofen for what?

Don't self medicate, if he wants to quit a medical professional should give him whatever drug he considers...

This guy is already self medicating with far more dangerous drug every day,  from the corner store.

Baclofen is proven cure for alcoholism. You can check here www.baclofentreatment.com

It is just a matter of taking the meds every day.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

Here we are again.... An innocent thread about the cost of a bottle of booze and its turned into an A.A. meeting already !!!!  ????

In fact AA doesn't work, it has a poor rate of success. That is why i mention Baclofen - because it does work and many people do not know about it. And it is very easy to use.

It doesn't sound like an innocent thread to me; it sounds like a cry for help.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Susco said:

I doubt that it was 300 Baht in the past.

I don't know the exact price for 100 pipers, but I know that Bells is 349, and I 100 pipers has always cost more.

This is the price at Wish Beer.

You're right and I apologise for my typo, too late to edit now.  100 Pipers always used to cost 399 baht, not 300, and I first started on Bells, not Be;;s!  ????  Bells incidentally, always was 395 in my local Tesco.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mister Fixit said:

You're right and I apologise for my typo, too late to edit now.  100 Pipers always used to cost 399 baht, not 300, and I first started on Bells, not Be;;s!  ????  Bells incidentally, always was 395 in my local Tesco.

About 15 years ago 100 Pipers was 300, then went up to 330.  Bells, when it first came to Thailand was quite a bit cheaper than 100 Pipers/395, presumably to build market share.

• Like 1