Big victory for farangs who want fairness. Thais made to pay.

RobMuir

16 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

When you say they listened to "our" protests, I recall you laughing at the many expats in that post who (present company included) said it was ridiculous for them to charge us for "them" wanting "us" to take the tests, e.g. we are guests in your country, we should be treated like guests in your country, nowhere else in the world is anyone charged to take a test, unless they want to take it themselves, same should apply here, period.

Your post doesn't really make sense, are you suggesting that they have jacked the price up from 500 baht to 2,000 baht, if that's the case then it would make sense that some idiot has lost face, obviously not in business and is just applying trying to show that his ego is as small as his brain, therefore making anyone who has a business in Phuket want to take him out for his stupidity.

Alternatively it is as I said it would be, i.e. that the 500 baht cost for the test would be quashed because businesses would be up in arms, e.g. trying to attract tourists, as opposed to charging them for tests that the government wants to take of them, similar to the government wanting to vaccinate foreigners, should be free, which it is, different if I want to get the vaccination of my choice, then I would pay for that.

I somehow still don't think your going to see it from my point of view, again nothing to do with being a cheap Charlie, more so what is right and the norm around the world, not in a bubble of ones own mind who also has blinkers on.

In my last post you had a dig at me for stating that I would not return to Phuket and many others stated the same, suffice to say, we see what goes on, are not stupid and not blinded by what attracts you there to that hole, even if you are blindly or feely accepting of being ripped off, "up to you" as the Thai's say, but don't try to convince us otherwise.

Yes, you're absolutely right. Same as all countries and airlines that demand a negative covid test before you're allowed to board a plane (for which you already paid for a ticket) or travel to because they want you as a tourist, or even your home country that welcomes you back. Oh hang on. They don't pay for your test. You have to pay for it...

And Australians that want to go back home on the very limited quota for passengers - the government is subsidising the ticket. Oh, that's another no....

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

When you say they listened to "our" protests, I recall you laughing

Correct

I somehow still don't think your going to see it from my point of view, again nothing to do with being a cheap Charlie, more so what is right and the norm around the world, not in a bubble of ones own mind who also has blinkers on.

Correct, nobody is forcing anybody to go to Phuket although it holds a special place in your heart.

Would you pay a barfine for a woman that Thais get for free?

In my last post you had a dig at me for stating that I would not return to Phuket

Ok, up to you.

Nobody cares if you do or don't.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Actually they stated that they are making the same charge to everyone because their budget had finished, however thats old news..............

New rules here:-

No rapid tests for Phuket arrivals from May 15, quarantine instead

PHUKET: Rapid antigen tests will no longer be used to determine whether or not people may enter Phuket from May 15, Phuket Vice Governor Piyapong Choowong has confirmed.

https://www.thephuketnews.com/no-rapid-tests-for-phuket-arrivals-from-may-15-quarantine-instead-79938.php

Just now, RobMuir said:

The Phuket version would be served in a ceramic bowl

Jesus !   Now I'm gonna have to get Mrs R  to go look for those pretty ceramic bowls we packed away somewhere...........  for when you visit

• Haha 2

In the UK, medical treatment is free for residents. But foreign visitors have to pay, although in reality, they usually just skip the country and never pay their bill. Is that racism? People who live in a country and contribute through taxes get something for free, whereas people who are visitors and have never contributed have to pay for their treatment. That isn't racism because in the UK both the residents and visitors will have a huge variety of ethnic backgrounds. It's just about charging people who have not contributed.

If you live in a country but don't work and don't pay taxes, it is quite reasonable that you should be charged a small amount. And in reality, if you can't afford it, then maybe you'd be better off in your home country where you will probably get it for free. It's not racism, it's economics.

Plus, Thailand is still a third-world country where anyone who looks different is considered to be an outsider and will often be charged more. I don't agree with that at all, charging people on the basis of their appearance is abhorrent, but charging people on their residency status seems quite reasonable. I'm sure that there are lots of ex-pats who contribute a huge amount to Thailand's economy, but, because they are not Thai, they have to pay more. I don't think that will change any time soon.

Edit: I used to work for the NHS, and was privy to the amounts owed by foreigners who had been treated. The amounts owed were simply scandalous, and there was no way to reclaim the money.

Edited by BenDeCosta
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, BenDeCosta said:

Intelligent people would always rather have a debate, and would never resort to personal attacks.

We have established that I am not intelligent already, which some might take as a personal attack, which I don't.

For the king I was merely returning serve.

For the ego I mentioned that only in the context of him expecting to have the red carpet rolled out for him because he chooses to live in Thailand. He didn't choose to live in Thailand to "help the economy"

Edited by RobMuir
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, RobMuir said:

Hold on big fella. 

It was you that called me " a real champion" sarcastically for wanting to financially help out a Thai friend in need.

But you are correct, I am a high school dropout. Not the sharpest. 

BTW I do admire both of you for your honesty. A lot of people like you two live in denial.

Respect for that.

There is a big difference calling sarcastically someone ''a real champion'' for wanting to take advantage of financial distress of someone in the hope of appropriating her 80 rai resort (Not really what i call ''help out a thai friend in need'' and you talk about us living in denial lol) and going on the personal side like you did  with me (Unfortunately for you i assume my sexual choices, so you hadn't the result expected) or you do here  with 4myego about his wife, his child, his nationality and whatever you could try to find to throw to him

As i said it shows a very bad side of yourself, maybe you should think about it or one day it could come back to bite your a....

Edited by kingofthemountain
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, RobMuir said:

We have established that I am not intelligent already, which some might take as a personal attack, which I don't.

For the king I was merely returning serve.

If someone personally attacks or insults you, then responding in kind only reduces you to their level. Either ignore it, or challenge the person to an intelligent discussion. If they refuse, than that tells you all you need to know about the person. You should never degrade yourself by resorting to petty insults because all that does is makes you look stupid.  

Rise above it, be the better person and don't insult anyone, because you don't know what other people have been through and you certainly don't know their IQ. Only stupid people resort to such pettiness.

Edited by BenDeCosta
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Show me one country that charges people residing in that country, who travel domestically to support their economy and businesses, to do tests before allowing them entry, to be more specific, not charging their own citizens/tourists, only those who are not citizens/tourists.

Bet you can't !

Read the OP, neither does Thailand.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, RobMuir said:

This thread is about fairness. I fully expect my Thai friend to repay the loan when she sells her resort.

That's not what you writed in the topic

from the highest interest rate to the best way to becoming

the owner of the land and the resort, all your efforts were on ending being the owner of her 160 millions thb property for the modest price of your 2 millions loan

You have clearly stated this on your topic, maybe you have already forgotten it, i can only invite you to read again your own statements

Maybe it's being opportunist, maybe greedy, but there is nothing friendly in your move

If you think paying sex workers which is borderline illegal anyway should entitle you to free medical from the Thai taxpayer it is my personal opinion that that is expecting a bit much.

I don't even developp about your nonsense ''borderline illegal''

For the rest this is coming directly from your imagination

i have never writed i should be entitle to free medical because of my ''contributions''

i writed Phuket wants more the tourists than the tourists want Phuket

the tourists have multiple choices, and Phuket is far from being the best of the options

On the other hand, Phuket economy relies mostly on tourism, so the island doesn't have a lot of choice, except if the population wants to return to fish and to the coconut trees.

You previously posted you were taking advantage of the cheaper prices for sexual services because of the lack of tourist customers. To my mind that is taking advantage, not supporting. Many would find a older westerner taking advantage of vulnerable young Asian sex workers to be abhorrent.

It's a market, supplies and demand

i am not responsible for their choice to offer sex for money

i don't take advantage, i am just at the market price, and they are more than happy with my offer

you should be surprised to know that i am often forced to decline when few days after the first meeting they contact me again, because i like to change and i don't want a routine

do you really think they will contact me again, and they will insist to come back to my room if it was so abhorrent ?

Now do you really want to talk about the fake ''seduction'' process of the Thai girls working in a factory to have free sex with some young and naives girls hoping for a better future?

It was like ''fishing in a barrel'' if i remember correctly your expression

Edited by kingofthemountain

13 hours ago, RocketDog said:

You seem to put a lot of emphasis on the money you lavish on local economies when you travel. 

I don't think the Thai people do. You over-estimate your importance to them. 

But hey, celebrate your 'victory' and move on with life. 

You don't get economics, I am not the one day in, day out, making noise about how bad tourism is doing and how I am going to do this and that, then someone from the side comes out from the shadows and says, everyone's going to get tested, Thai's are free, farangs 500 baht, <DELETED!> is that.

Move on you say, I move on quickly when I know people try to rip me off, if you think that I think 500 baht is extortion for them wanting to test farangs, you should meet my Thai wife when someone try's rips her off 100 baht, and when I say try's to rips her off 100 baht I mean "try's", e.g. restaurant bill arrives, 100 baht service fee, for what, for service, where is it shown in your menu, not have, but it is for farang, not only did she leave paying the bill minus 100 baht, she left them 100 baht short on the bill, but not before humiliating the them in a packed restaurant, and added, if you want to call the police for me charging you 100 baht for me to lecture you right from wrong, then go ahead, I will go to the media with this, they didn't say a word and of course never returned.

No doubt you and others would not have even questioned it, nothing to do with the money, it's about ripping farangs off, why a service charge for farangs and not Thai's ?

She would have gone to the media, but then again, would it be worth fighting with the defamation laws here, I believe she brought her point across, did they stop with the undisclosed service fee for farangs, probably not and they probably never even itemise the bill, just pay, ting tong farangs.    

Edited by metisdead
Profane acronym removed.
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1