Littering and attitudes to it

poohy

It took years of PSA's, public litter bins all over, and the imposition of pretty significant fines in the $500 USD (and up) range to reduce litter in the USA.  Still see it a lot in remote areas (more accurately, unpatrolled areas) where slobs leave their garbage behind when they're done for the day. 

It's not surprising it's still a problem in Thailand, where the fines (if any) are usually peanuts and it's generally impossible to find a public bin for your trash.  In Thailand, there's also the practical reality that even if you could find a bin to deposit your litter, there's a good chance that the company paid to dispose of it will take the cheap way out and leave it at the side of the road somewhere.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 2

It's a worldwide phenomena sadly, just "do the right thing", maybe others will see and "pick up", but don't try telling them what to do, because around the corner, there are millions more.

in addition

today the orbator has removed every waste bin from our area as they cant afford the weekly collection

evidently according to Ms Poohy the natives  are being told to burn rubbish or take it to klong wan where they have collection 

like i can see that happening!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

18 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I just don’t get the mentality of someone who leaves litter and never will. 

Littering was a blight in the UK while I was growing up. There were repeated TV reminders. 

Yet, we still see people littering, the big issue now is fly tippers. 

In Thailand I see the same disregard for peoples immediate environment as I used to see in the UK. 

This is one benefit of social media, but I’m still shocked at the attitudes and the utter disregard shown by so many of every age and demographic. 

yes, a billion a year is spent on cleaning up trash in the UK, and this from a supposedly well educated country - enough trash to fill 4 Wembley stadiums a year, quite a feat for a small island.. 

• Like 1

Hope to see you at the beach next year  ????   

but every time i leave they extend the Big C  saga.    Starting to feel like a bad movie :

Rocky 5 .....      Or  Locky down  phase 5 

20210419_124729.jpg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, rumak said:

but every time i leave they extend the Big C  saga.    Starting to feel like a bad movie :

20210419_124729.jpg

I assumed Rumak was an ugly old Farang. But you appear to be a pretty Asian girl.

Just when you thought Big C was over, along comes the B1.1.7 mutant strain.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, poohy said:

in addition

today the orbator has removed every waste bin from our area as they cant afford the weekly collection

evidently according to Ms Poohy the natives  are being told to burn rubbish or take it to klong wan where they have collection 

like i can see that happening!

Maybe the obator should spend money more wisely or skim less. Or maybe the locals should pay more taxes. Something like that. But seems that the solution is worse then the problem.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, rumak said:

20210419_124729.jpg

You are looking well sir! That's just about where i was sitting! 

Edited by poohy

Just now, RobMuir said:

I assumed Rumak was an ugly old Farang. But you appear to be a pretty Asian girl.

Just when you thought Big C was over, along comes the B1.1.7 mutant strain.

Lotus was bought by  CP  group.

I think the Big C  was paid for by microsoft 

• Haha 1

Just now, poohy said:

That's just about where i was sitting!

hahahaa      i just realized i had forgotten to send that photo to you !

there's one of me as well......... but,    i posted the nicer one    

Just now, RobMuir said:

i think there is a compliment in there somewhere............ 

19 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Littering was a blight in the UK while I was growing up. There were repeated TV reminders. 

In Thailand I see the same disregard for peoples immediate environment as I used to see in the UK. 

This is one benefit of social media, but I’m still shocked at the attitudes and the utter disregard shown by so many of every age and demographic. 

I reside in a relatively Rural area outside of a Village, and I regularly saw Trash Dumpers on a monumental scale in my vicinity.

These were commercial dumpers. Builders with their waste, and recycle outfits.

However, I employed a very simple tactic that has mostly stopped the dumping

A Camera !

I have taken Photos of these scum, and also threatened them with the photos being taken to the local Authority Office if I ever see them again, along with the threat of a 2000 Baht fine.

OK ! They call me all kinds of names, and I was even threatened once ( Being 195 and 110 Kilo the guy thought better of that and legged it )

However most of the dumping has stopped as word has gone round about the crazy Farang, and now we also dont have the massive fires that they used to start when stripping out Copper Wire from the PVC.

The people of the Village can now breath some fairly clean air, and many like me for the stance I have taken against these scum Dumpers.

• Thanks 1

We have 6 Pattaya Lifeguards here daily who do nothing but sit in the shade at tables, look at their phones, and ride their motorcycles on the sidewalk/promenade.  

You would think they could do some trash retrieval during the long days, but have never seen it

When this happens, you can follow them home - you will see their homes and gardens are trash heaps, where tables and chairs are for storing plastic bottles and other stuff that really is junk and accumulated allsorts; bits of metal, abandoned "things", rotting wood. Any cupboards in the house are so stuffed, can't even open the drawers.

And I wouldn't even call it litter, bits of paper for example, but more like anything they won't actually throw away.

This is Thai culture, it is too common that we can say, "it is only a few!"

Edited by ChrisKC
missed word
  • Like 2

On 5/6/2021 at 11:08 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Growing up in Australia as a baby boomer we had the 'Don't litter Australia' campaigns (clean up Australia grew out of that) and it was mostly successful.

Now, when we see someone throwing rubbish on the ground it sticks out, it looks obvious, someone will usually say, 'pick up your rubbish', even 'don't be a pig' or anything to suggest they clean up their own rubbish.

This is helped by the proliferation of rubbish bins, certainly they are not everywhere but usually you only have to look around where you are to find one, with the exception of a long way from anywhere places like isolated national parks.

The two go hand in hand, there's no point in having a national anti littering campaign without having anywhere to put the rubbish.

Public rubbish bins are not so common in Thailand and often when you do see them they are overflowing.

When the Thais get their rubbish collection services better organised, then perhaps a public awareness campaign could be started.

I agree that rural Tland is where the big problem is.  I'm happy to report that Phan Thong where I live is absolutely spotless.  It's a rare occasion to see litter on the streets.  However there are many vacant industrial sites that are the polar opposite.  Uggg!

The thing that does me - it’s not their land, it’s the land of the guy they hold in the highest esteem, they wouldn’t ever dream in a million years of doing somethings but it’s acceptable to do this to his land.

• Like 2

leaving litter is a problem in most countries.Why do people do it?...my guess is laziness,a lack of respect for other people,selfishness and an "i don't care" attitude.

I see it all the time in the village and area I live in.Some houses I visit(relatives) the yard is littered with rubbish and they are ok living amongst trash...just laziness in most cases and very sad because it says a lot about these people.

• Like 1

On 5/7/2021 at 4:48 PM, from the home of CC said:

reading the daily mail uk tells you all you need to know about UK society in 2021.....place is a cesspit 

4 hours ago, thasoss said:

reading the daily mail uk tells you all you need to know about UK society in 2021.....place is a cesspit 

I try not to. All that chirping about being woke from multitudes in a time suspended coma - ironic to say the least..

Edited by from the home of CC

• 1 month later...