Wanted American arrested for murdering pregnant wife in northern Thailand

13 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

Any one of your friends could become a criminal at any time, people aren't born with a criminal record - any suggestions on how to locate the ones that will commit a crime at some point?

Still can't predict this. But in general people of lower social standing with temper issues are higher risk. Dumb people often don't think about the concequences.

Then again we had a MOD on Thaivisa who killed his wife and tried to dissolve her in a vat of acid or something like that. He was well off so its not always poor people. 

But generally street crime and violence comes from the people with low social standing and anger issues. 

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, djayz said:

Well of course anybody can commit a crime at any time.

The point I was trying to make is that not expat here has a shady past, the majority of which are probably law-abiding citizens, contrary to what many posters here have written.

What's your point? 

I would agree with you that the majority are law abiding - I wasn't arguing that point. We only hear about the ones that are criminals because it adds to the story.

I was simply pointing out that we all have a clean record until we break it (or get caught). Removing/banning all foreigners that have a past record won't solve the problem.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Keep him in a Thai prison for 50 years and send him back to the US when he is 82. I imagine a poor, homeless 82 year old wont have a good life in the US streets. (or we hope not)

Even that is too good. Top him, or hand him over to the family and villagers and let them do what the Thai justice system is incapable of.. Murder deserves death!

3 minutes ago, robblok said:

Still can't predict this. But in general people of lower social standing with temper issues are higher risk. Dumb people often don't think about the concequences.

Then again we had a MOD on Thaivisa who killed his wife and tried to dissolve her in a vat of acid or something like that. He was well off so its not always poor people. 

But generally street crime and violence comes from the people with low social standing and anger issues. 

I agree with you in general but to discuss it means examining the whole issue of crime, the causes of crime and its punishment - that would take us way off topic.  However, by way of an illustration of there I'm coming from on this - the USA (just for example) has very strong enforcement and sometimes incredibly long sentences.  They lock up a very large percentage of their population yet murder, robbery and violent crime rates remain high.  Its almost impossible for someone with a criminal record (other than very minor) to visit the USA yet their crime rates are high - I don't see what good such a policy does.

I should point out though, that I exclude known terrorists from my theories - they are a different animal.

7 minutes ago, prakhonchai nick said:

Even that is too good. Top him, or hand him over to the family and villagers and let them do what the Thai justice system is incapable of.. Murder deserves death!

I would agree with you Nick but history has shown us that too many people have been wrongly convicted and executed.  Would you trust the system in Thailand to always convict the right person?  It would be a good way to get rid of your enemies.

14 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

I would agree with you that the majority are law abiding - I wasn't arguing that point. We only hear about the ones that are criminals because it adds to the story.

I was simply pointing out that we all have a clean record until we break it (or get caught). Removing/banning all foreigners that have a past record won't solve the problem.

I would say that banning people who committed violent crimes would be a start. Those are usually people who do it again. No need to ban a white collar criminal. Still i doubt they could enforce this and it will take a lot of effort. Just not worth it. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

I would agree with you Nick but history has shown us that too many people have been wrongly convicted and executed.  Would you trust the system in Thailand to always convict the right person?  It would be a good way to get rid of your enemies.

Very true what you say........but in this case he has admitted to murder. Of course in all cases there must be total and absolute proof. The alternative is of coures LIFE imprisonment, which should mean that in every case. No parole ever for any reason.

14 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Why would anyone do that?

I would think you know how it works here or actually in many western countries.

I am sure they have a lot of forensic evidence, the guy knows he is guilty and they offer him a much lesser sentence if he tells the truth.

Just now, bkk6060 said:

I would think you know how it works here or actually in many western countries.

I am sure they have a lot of forensic evidence, the guy knows he is guilty and they offer him a much lesser sentence if he tells the truth.

Maybe for an offence where you got 5 years reduced to 2 years ......... but murder?

17 hours ago, internationalism said:

so he was arrested in 2019 in the usa for murder and in the same year he came to thailand. 

For those charges he should't be bailed. If bailed his passport should be revoked.

the body of his wife was found rather by tracing his SIM location, rather than by dogs. Maybe dogs were used to find the spot, within few hundred meter radius 

American state law varies widely. If he was white and the charges were the result of a domestic dispute (what the Thais call "a husband-wife matter") it's not surprising he was granted bail, especially in a Southern state. Another possibility, especially if it was from a domestic dispute, the victim may have refused to press charges and the case had to be dismissed. That's actually very common. The local jails are very overcrowded, as are the state prisons. We arrest and jail more people than any other country in the world (USA! USA!!), but the decision of what laws will be enforced is not very predictable. One result is situations like this.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, KhaoYai said:

Sorry, I misunderstood your previous post. I get you now and agree wholeheartedly. 

48 minutes ago, internationalism said:

he stabbed wify, after she tried to chase him from his house (he did buy it)

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/2021/05/07/us-citizen-charged-with-murdering-thai-wife/

Yea that is his side of the story, like anyone would believe a criminal who has done this twice already. Still it will sound good to the resident farang community. 

Could just as much be that he liked beating her up or that he had a girl on the side. The wife cant speak anymore because she was killed and thrown away like garbage.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Maha Sarakham said:

What a scumbag, how are people with criminal records like this allowed out of prison or even allowed to have a passport?

These people , with criminal records .

Have .   Take a guess ..

22 hours ago, Mitkof Island said:

Another foreign criminal some how makes it into Thailand. How many thousands more of various criminal types are hiding in Thailand? Thai Immigration makes it next to impossible at times to deal with a simple expat retirement/marriage visa yet somehow with all the bureaucracy red tape and hoop jumping guys like this are far more common than you think.

And I was worried that a 10 year old drunk driving misdemeanor conviction would prevent my settling here. You are exactly right of course. I am American, and I took refuge here to escape the carnage and ugliness of the US, exemplified by this animal. ... But, to be fair, there are always people that fall between the cracks in a bureaucracy. This is so sad, the pain of the relatives. I have had people in my life violently murdered, it's horrible. 

Edited by onthedarkside
irrelevant political comment removed
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3

20 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

Why are they allowed in Thailand? I'm a US citizen and don't believe Americans should be allowed here without arrest record checks, too many criminals and lowlifes. Visa exempt should be reconsidered.

Was he using his own passport? That is the question.

1 hour ago, riclag said:

Does Thailand have the death penalty ?

I cringe when I think of this young girl crying out for her Maae, as she is heinously murdered! 

May be justice will be done on the inside, assuming that he is found guilty. 

• Like 1

Scumbag yes, low life yes but get him of the Tele.

How many filthy Thai coppers have murdered their partner in the last couple of months, those stories never to be heard of again.

One stupid yank causes more fuss than a corrupt and inept Govt.

Knock him on the head or whatever but enough foreigner bashing.

Thailand has enough criminals of their own without pointing the finger at foreigners for their woes.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Maha Sarakham said:

What a scumbag, how are people with criminal records like this allowed out of prison or even allowed to have a passport?

Just ask the next dodgy looking foreigner you see. Should not be hard they are as common as fleas in Thailand.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, nycjoe said:

There is a chip in your passport and I would hope that it would have flagged him. 

Question is why did he have a passport surely? He was on bail for attempted murder

• Like 2

On 5/6/2021 at 5:49 PM, Maha Sarakham said:

How did he get past the finger prints and facial recognition at the airport immigration?