Currently on an STV, and looking to stay in thailand for longer time

Im currently on an STV which runs out after 6 months, and i wish to continue to stay in thailand as a tourist.

Ive heard about a chiang mai 1 year visa, is it possible to get it without having to leave the country? so when my stv runs out, ill just board the flight to chiang mai?

Thanks in advance

I would be interested to know as well. 

I thought I read you can't apply for another Visa if you have an STV.   I do remember reading/verifying if I intend to apply for a retirement visa not to use an STV visa.  Apparently this is not allowed.  I hope there are exceptions.   Good luck.

1 hour ago, Clay2 said:

I would be interested to know as well. 

I thought I read you can't apply for another Visa if you have an STV.   I do remember reading/verifying if I intend to apply for a retirement visa not to use an STV visa.  Apparently this is not allowed.  I hope there are exceptions.   Good luck.

No exceptions that I'm aware of even with using an agent since you entered on STV.

Currently there are 60 day covid extensions available. They are due to end but almost certainly will continue.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, sweetserenity said:

Ive heard about a chiang mai 1 year visa, is it possible to get it without having to leave the country? so when my stv runs out, ill just board the flight to chiang mai?

That will not work. You may be referring to a visa together with a 12 month extension arranged by an agent.

That is not possible since you entered on a STV.

Obtain a 60 day covid extension prior to expiry of your permission of stay.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

That will not work. You may be referring to a visa together with a 12 month extension arranged by an agent.

That is not possible since you entered on a STV.

Obtain a 60 day covid extension prior to expiry of your permission of stay.

Hi, i can only apply 2x90 day extensions on an STV, so how exactly can i apply for a 60 day extension on top of my complete 9 month stay?

-Is there no way at all to apply for a chiang mai 12 month volunteer visa while im on an STV?

25 minutes ago, sweetserenity said:

Hi, i can only apply 2x90 day extensions on an STV, so how exactly can i apply for a 60 day extension on top of my complete 9 month stay?

-Is there no way at all to apply for a chiang mai 12 month volunteer visa while im on an STV?

When your 2x90 day extensions have been used and if 60 day covid extensions are still available, then you would apply for one. You would apply prior to expiry of permit to stay. Cost 1900 baht.

As for the agent option you mention...  the agent would obtain a non O (volunteering) with a 12 month extension. That is possible if you had entered Thailand on visa exempt or tourist visa. Not possible having a STV.

You could talk with an agent to assess your options.

Thinking 'covid extensions' is your only option. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

When your 2x90 day extensions have been used, if 60 day covid extensions are still available then you would apply for one. You would apply prior to expiry of permit to stay. Cost 1900 baht.

As for the agent option you mention...  the agent would obtain a non O (volunteering) with a 12 month extension. That is possible if you had entered Thailand on visa exempt or tourist visa. Not possible having a STV.

You could talk with an agent to assess your options.

Thinking 'covid extensions' is your only option. 

Ok thank you, could you tell me what this covid extension is for? it sounds a bit weird to be able to continue to be able to use an extension just because its called "covid extension" and why on the last day of my STV expiry date? thats worrying me a bit ...

11 minutes ago, sweetserenity said:

Ok thank you, could you tell me what this covid extension is for? it sounds a bit weird to be able to continue to be able to use an extension just because its called "covid extension" and why on the last day of my STV expiry date? thats worrying me a bit ...

You don't obtain covid extension on last day of your permission of stay. You do it prior. Week or two good idea.

The covid 60 day extensions were introduced due to world wide covid situation. I agree it seems strange that people have entered Thailand after covid even on visa exempt entry and have subsequently been obtaining ongoing 60 day covid extensions. However those are the current rules.

When/if you apply for covid extension you will sign an affidavit. Here is the link 

https://forum.thaivisa.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=727659

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 2

It has been reported that Visa Agents can obtain a new visa for a large sum of Thai baht... 

It will cost you.... 

You should have read the STV visa restrictions. Not allowed to be changed into any other visa inside Thailand. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, travelerjim said:

It has been reported that Visa Agents can obtain a new visa for a large sum of Thai baht... 

It will cost you.... 

You should have read the STV visa restrictions. Not allowed to be changed into any other visa inside Thailand. 

How much is a large sum of thai baht? and for how long would it last?

13 minutes ago, sweetserenity said:

How much is a large sum of thai baht? and for how long would it last?

Personally, I would not even attempt this route. It will not be anything legitimate, and could potentially affect any future attempts to stay on your part. I would follow @DrJack54's advice and obtain the 60 day COVID extension(s) until you can plan an exit and re-entry.

• Like 1