Are American Foreign Residents Totally Powerless?

DogNo1

I wrote two letters to officials recently on this topic. I sent one to the US Dept of State, and one to my House Rep, Brad Sherman. No reply from Sherman. But State did reply back.  I suggested two things to them:

1) Organize vaccinations at the US Embassy, BKK.

2) During the upcoming Cobra Gold exercise in August, allow US citizens to get vaccinated by med staff from the ships, done at the port where they dock.

Here's their reply to me: 

"For answers to your query, please contact the Office of Medical Services at 202-663-1649.
Thank you for contacting the U.S. Department of State."

I have not called them.  Pretty sure they're going to tell me they can't help and I'm on my own. I'm not going to waste my time. If they did have a solution to our dilemma, they would have stated something to that effect in their response.

So to the person who posted this topic, YES, we are powerless here.

• Thanks 1

On 5/7/2021 at 8:25 AM, bwpage3 said:

You have to love it when people speak on facts they only read in the news.

In Florida, USA, all covid restrictions lifted. No masks required. Life has been back to normal for quite a long time now.

Of course vaccines have been free and super easy to get.

Many hospitals and other places have a parking lot marked off. Drive into a designated space, roll your window down, get a vaccine, wait for 15 minutes for side effects, then drive off. That simple.

Another day of Florida leading the US in New infections. 

I guess lifting restrictions too soon was a mistake. 

Screenshot_20210510_072150.jpg

On 5/7/2021 at 6:18 AM, DogNo1 said:

There are numerous examples of Americans whose lives were in danger in friendly or neutral countries being rescued by small American contingencies.  Think of Gen Schwarzkopf.  Americans can't rescue citizens of other countries.  That is up to those countries' embassies or militaries.  I think that many foreign embassy staff and their Thai employees have already been surreptitiously vaccinated.   

As the different government entities discuss vaccine permissions to be passed between them and then government registered patients being recommended to a hospital for a likely kickback.  The tax and fees will be paid by the foreign vaccinees.   This is still only at the stage of discussion at committee meetings. When the vaccines will be ordered is apparently not known.  This is actually putting the lives of us old guys in danger.   I could leave personally but many American residents can't afford to do that.  That's why 

US Military intervention seems necessary.  The Thais seem to care very little about saving elderly American lives.   Vaccinations could have been started much earlier.  Medical staff seem furious about the situation.  I think that this debacle will strongly affect future tourism.   Amazing Thailand Indeed!

While the British Embassy will be its usual helpful self:

Oh.sorry. nothing we can do about that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Indeed, as I said above, the U.S. currently ranks 16th in the world for per capita COVID deaths since the beginning... 

All that medical technology, research, expense and expertise, and they still couldn't manage to save their (my) people... Among the major developed countries, only Italy and the UK fared worse.

The US and the UK are two countries that are highly developed and largely dependent on processed food ( I don't know enough about Italy to comment ). They also have large numbers of unhealthy, obese people that live in toxic cities and do very little physical work.

While I obviously can't prove it, IMO those factors may prove to be significant, when more is known about corona.

• Like 1

On 5/7/2021 at 11:18 AM, DogNo1 said:

This is actually putting the lives of us old guys in danger.

50 minutes ago, Asquith Production said:

Exactly, do you think they care?

They didn't care about us old people before corona, so why expect it to be different now?

On 5/6/2021 at 5:41 PM, Swiss1960 said:

Always amazed at American thinking... invading a foreign, sovereign country with which you are in peace, just to save the butts of few americans who think they should be first in line... join the club of ALL foreigners living in Thailand..

And... your embassy can't be bothered with you... they got the vaccine for their own employees in diplomatic post and are actively vaccinating, they don't care about you other lot...

d

Please dont throw us Yanks into one pot--thanks....now im off to the copy shop now that "MY" vaccine card has been posted...I have extras now....2000bt each ????

• Haha 2

'petition the Pacific (military) Command'

The US military does not make foreign/domestic policy.

The US Department of Defense and State Department do, vis a vis through the authority of the Executive Branch of US government, ie., POTUS Biden.

Biden plans to send US vacci es to Mexico and Canada.

Why not to US embassies where need is justified?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/7/2021 at 6:28 AM, impulse said:

5 minutes after they do away with the quarantine, the flights to Thailand will be jammed.

You must have good information on where these thousands of future Tourist's will be coming from China ect?

On 5/7/2021 at 6:28 AM, impulse said:

5 minutes after they do away with the quarantine, the flights to Thailand will be jammed.

Thailand cutting its own tourism throat—the age-old myth that just won't die.

3 hours ago, ICELANDMAN said:

The SInopharm vaccine, which is a vaccine so declared still to the old dead virus system would appear to be a vaccine with fewer side effects, someone with more information?

My thoughts exactly.

Basically a slendid idea. 

However why only Americans ????

Every country should support their citizens in Thailand .

So next we'll see soldiers from UK, Germany, Russia, aso vaccinating their people. 

And who knows how it's going on with Covid? 

Better those troops might stay here for a long time. 

Or am I wrong and your post was just a joke, a troll post??? ????????????

On 5/7/2021 at 7:22 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

US Military intervention seems necessary.

????

I think that this debacle will strongly affect future tourism.

Not vaccinating Americans will make zero difference to future tourism. Most tourists were not American.

The Thais seem to care very little about saving elderly American lives.

Given they have yet to "save" elderly Thai lives with vaccines, why should they care more about elderly Americans, most of which may be able to fly home to get vaccinated?

Why are Americans apparently more important than other farang groups?

'Vaccine tourists' fly from abroad for injections on US beach

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news/vaccine-tourists-fly-from-abroad-for-injections-on-us-beach/ar-BB1gy6LB?li=BBnb7Kz

In many places in USA you don't even need an appoiintment just show up at one of the large chain pharmacies that are giving out the shots. As article above states you don't even need to be a US citizen or  resident, tourists can get the shots.

On 5/7/2021 at 8:05 AM, robblok said:

But in this case the Americans could easily fly back to guan or the states. Its not a danger thing its a money thing. They want the vaccine but don't want to pay the extra expenses of flying somewhere and back from their own pocket. 

That is different from being under siege by armed militia and so on.

Is it really possible/feasible to get vaccinated in Guam? America is in a sorry state regarding vaccine certification. Would you be able to prove that your card is not fake, like the ones supposedly available on Ebay?

On 5/8/2021 at 7:44 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Not quite, as regards your Florida example... Yes, the governor there has removed the restrictions, and his residents are paying the price for it. High capita deaths, hospitalizations and one of the highest current per capita rates of infections among U.S. states --- all data below from the U.S. CDC in the past week.

2144916954_CA-FL-TXComparisonfromCDC.jpg.0f3651500f2d3b9df8c8829816f8c724.jpg

553644137_USStates7-daypercapitaCOVIDcaserates-USCDC.thumb.jpg.99f8bdbd5c7095fa8f9765105b12ead9.jpg

Is there a Thai restaurant in Palau?