Are American Foreign Residents Totally Powerless?

DogNo1

22 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I'm good for that... As I said, I've been making no predictions about the future, just looking at where Thailand and the U.S. already have been to the current point in time.

As for starting from NOW... Right now, even with its more advanced vaccination campaign, the U.S. is recording 700-800 CV deaths each and every day, though a bit less today. Thailand, with about one fourth the population of the U.S., is recording -+ 20 CV deaths daily.

Divide the U.S. deaths by the population difference and you come out with about 200 per day. Reduce it even further to account for the testing/case recognition differences, and you still would be hard pressed to get a per capita real CV daily deaths number down to the current 20 or so number in Thailand.

Sure, Thailand may be missing some deaths that are in fact CV related.....  But if people were dying in vast extra numbers in the hinterlands of Thailand, there's be some news of that creeping into all the social media outlets that Thais love to use... And thus far at least, that just hasn't been happening.

U.S. - No. 1 with a CV bullet!

(the U.S. ranks No. 1 in the world for total CV cases and CV deaths (total, not per capita)  by a wide mile, though India lately is beginning to catch up). Per capita, last time I checked, the U.S was usually around the top 10-15.

Screenshot_10.jpg.d7efb895ce860474ff83c733da95ae0e.jpg

Screenshot_18.jpg.236451a9754c46f1239afc93610a41fe.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/informationcovid19/photos/a.106142991004034/321707592780905/

In this US will not be number 1 for long. In reality, now India is ahead and barely getting started.

• Like 1

This dudes been watching too many Die Hard movies me-thinks. "Save us, Marines, landing in the grounds of the US Embassy." Deary me. Here's a suggestion why don't you wander down to Bumrungradgrad with a bit of cash in your pocket and quietly ask to see a doctor behind closed doors. I'd venture a vaccine would be produced asap if you did.

• Like 1

On 5/7/2021 at 6:28 AM, impulse said:

5 minutes after they do away with the quarantine, the flights to Thailand will be jammed.

I doubt that very much. Thailand's tourism was in decline before the Chinese virus. People have found better places

What a horrible stupid post.

20 odd  Thais died today of Covid, your country allowed thousands a day to die as a result of bad management & "demanding my freedom"by the people.

I would have thought as an American you would be the last person to "rag" the Thais 

with America's record.

The Thai Government have already stated that us Farangs living here will get 

inocculated along with Thais , just that we will have to pay which is fine

Hang in there & take a little more water with it

6 hours ago, aboctok said:

Thailand cutting its own tourism throat—the age-old myth that just won't die.

Thai tourist numbers continued to rise until Covid, in spite of years of doom and gloom forecasts from disgruntled expats lamenting their despicable treatment at the hands of Thai officialdom.  The myth that refuses to die is that western expats still drive the Thai tourism market.  Expats are a blip on the screen, and the percentage of westerners in tourist numbers is what's dwindling.

In short, the average tourist won't even know how Thailand handled vaccines for entitled western expats, much less care.  They'll hop on the first flights in droves as soon as they're guaranteed no quarantine on arrival.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, ICELANDMAN said:

The SInopharm vaccine, which is a vaccine so declared still to the old dead virus system would appear to be a vaccine with fewer side effects, someone with more information?

Thailand is using Sinovac. Not Sinopharm.

On 5/6/2021 at 8:17 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

But it seems there are more Americans than others who have this "we are special" attitude.

Americans; special like the other 8 billion on this planet. It's this attitude of the OP that makes me steer clear of Americans around the world. Hopefully a troll and not serious.

6 hours ago, impulse said:

Thai tourist numbers continued to rise until Covid, in spite of years of doom and gloom forecasts from disgruntled expats lamenting their despicable treatment at the hands of Thai officialdom.  The myth that refuses to die is that western expats still drive the Thai tourism market.  Expats are a blip on the screen, and the percentage of westerners in tourist numbers is what's dwindling.

In short, the average tourist won't even know how Thailand handled vaccines for entitled western expats, much less care.  They'll hop on the first flights in droves as soon as they're guaranteed no quarantine on arrival.

God I hope the Thais don't fret too much / lose 1,000s of man-hours in sleep / cry too heavily in their som-tam when they realise they've driven away the crème de la crème of crusty old white pensioners and installed a horrid hoard of barbarians with nothing to their names but (lots of) CASH. They'll rue the day, those Thais will. Yes, they'll be sorry...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DogNo1 said:

Many posters have criticised my sense of entitlement.  I am curious what their nationalities are.  What degree of prejudicial thinking would make the segregation of Thais and foreigners in regards to their access to a vaccine acceptable?    

My doctor at Bumrungrad anticipated that I would be able to be vaccinated in April.  As the acquisition of vaccines was delayed and then delayed again, he and more than 75,000 colleagues petitioned that the health minister, Anutin, resign.  If the government's tardiness in buying the vaccines has resulted in a shortage of doses, that makes it reasonable for foreigners to appeal to their various embassies for Vaccinations.  As a single American, not a high level decision maker, it is only appropriate for me to ask for vaccines for Americans.  Other nationalities can appeal to their own embassies and, perhaps, suggest that their embassy piggyback on an American shipment of AZ vaccines.

People have referred to me as belonging to the other half which they are ashamed of.  I served my country in dicey situations for 24 years.  Which half would that put me into?   

There is a certain amount of virtue signalling in some posts.  Putting America and certain Americans down does not make you a superior person.

I can't find it now, but a poster on this thread posted a link to information about foreigners being able to request vaccines from their embassies.  That is helpful.  Thanks.

Personally I find that you are right to ask your embassy for vaccine assistance, considering that in Thailand corruption plays the most important role that the health of its citizens. If the embassy of your respective governments did not care about their own citizens, it only means that she considers you second-rate citizens.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ICELANDMAN said:

Yes, unfortunately, because the CP group owns shares in the company Sinovac, no accusations of corruption of course.

Sinovac is a global pharma. company that is listed on the Nasdaq. CP Group bought 15% of Sinovac in January through its Hong Kong pharma company.

• Like 1

On 5/6/2021 at 2:39 PM, Brierley said:

So....the Thai's want to vaccinate only the Thai's and the Americans want o vaccinate only the Americans, doesn't anyone have a better plan!

Where did you get such a nonsensical idea into your head? Americans have a better plan and that is to make vaccinations available to anybody who is living within the boundaries of the United States. Such plan is now in effect.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, oslooskar said:

Where did you get such a nonsensical idea into your head? Americans have a better plan and that is to make vaccinations available to anybody who is living within the boundaries of the United States. Such plan is now in effect.

In Thailand darling, in Thailand!

• Like 1

Have any of you Americans who say that you are not entitled to assistance once you have left America's shores ever read the first inside page of your passport?  Have a look.

17 hours ago, DogNo1 said:

Have any of you Americans who say that you are not entitled to assistance once you have left America's shores ever read the first inside page of your passport?  Have a look.

I can only imagine what it says, but regardless, any idea that the US is going to unilaterally ( without permission ) send the US military to an allied nation is, IMO, laughable.