Thailand reports 2,044 new coronavirus cases, 27 new deaths

webfact

2 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Exactly so it can spike again at any time, despite your prediction that the peak is over.

They are struggling to have any form of control now and its not getting better in the last week in Bangkok, only worse.

If there is new data indicating an increased positivity rate, then, of course, the numbers of cases will rise. But right now the data is showing a flat line.

The wild card here are the prisons. I have not seen any data on numbers of infected in the prison system.

29 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

You use India as an example? Its also testing far more than 300-400k a day, thats just the number of positive tests. I thought you worked for the MoPh before?

Try the UK or US. For a comparative figure the UK has around the same population.

But your claim was that Thailand didn't have the resources.  So your position has shifted I guess.

Just now, Petey11 said:

Exactly, uk tried the whack-a-mole approach, as even voiced in a speech by Boris, and look how that turned out. By the time you see the mole and start whacking it's already popped out unseen in several other places. Possibly 2-4 weeks before you realize you have a cluster emerging, by which time those infected could have spread the virus to other areas.

We could compare how Britain has handled the epidemic, compared with Thailand. There is no reason to believe that Thailand will do as poorly as British efforts, pre-vaccination.

2 minutes ago, TaoNow said:

But your claim was that Thailand didn't have the resources.  So your position has shifted I guess.

That was one claim, there are many, how many more would you like? Have you read my posts on this thread?

2 hours ago, Excel said:

Currently they can not contain the epidemic, why do you say they can ? If they could contain it then there would be no outbreaks outside already infected areas. Almost weekly they find "hot spot" in different locales so to say they can contain it is a nonsense like almost all of your posts on this subject.

Clearly, you and I do not agree on terminology.

I will just say that the number of new infections is no longer spiking upwards, and hot spots are being identified and eliminated.

• Like 1

Phuket had only five new reported COVID cases on Friday. It looks like they're trying to keep it that way, wanting to preserve their hopes of keeping a scheduled reopening to vaccinated foreign tourists by mid-year:

"Phuket will carry out rapid COVID-19 antigen testing from Friday until May 15th to speed up the detection of cases and control the spread of the virus.

Deputy Phuket governor Piyapong Choowong said the provincial disease control committee's meeting approved the plan on Thursday, to carry out the tests on visitors from Krabi, Ranong, Trang and Phatthalung.

He said officials will also inspect three districts, gathering information about those who are not receiving treatment among those infected, finding at-risk groups in each sub-district and carrying out active case finding in the areas.

Mr. Piyapong said visitors entering the province through checkpoints after May 15th will be given a COVID-19 test, funded by the National Health Security Office."

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Petey11 said:

Iran did for months, and look what happened there when testing was sorted out.

As I said, many countries have reported numbers within a narrow range, for months on end. Nothing special about Thailand’s numbers.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

If there is new data indicating an increased positivity rate, then, of course, the numbers of cases will rise. But right now the data is showing a flat line.

The wild card here are the prisons. I have not seen any data on numbers of infected in the prison system.

I guess you're just looking at the positivity rate from the active finding then at around 5 or 6 % which is far to high anyway, but maybe you should take into account he positivity rate from hospital walk ins to. They do count you know.

There's lots of wild cards, not just prisons.........................

4 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

That was one claim, there are many, how many more would you like? Have you read my posts on this thread?

So what is your point Brian?  That Thailand is incompetent, under-resourced, or barking up the wrong tree?

I am not a Thai apologist but I think we need to be objective about what or what isn't being done.

I would like to see Thailand do more of the type of surveillance they did with HIV, and I complained to my contacts at the Ministry of Public Health in early 2020.

p.s. Please provide references for your claim about per capita testing levels for Covid-19 in the US and UK vis a vis Thailand

• Like 1

2 hours ago, anchadian said:

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40000639

Sputnik V should be approved for use in Thailand next month: FDA

Sputnik V should be approved for use in Thailand next month: FDA

The reason Russia’s Sputnik V vaccine has not been registered for use in Thailand is because the importer Kingen Biotech Ltd has not yet submitted full documentation for registration, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) said on Friday.

After all this time, not exactly confidence inspiring:

"“Meanwhile, the importer of Sputnik V has submitted some documents, such as details of manufacture, and animal and human trials, but they have yet to submit key details about quality control, safety, efficiency, and their risk management plan after the vaccine is used in Thailand.”

Perhaps that's also a reason the Russian vaccine thus far hasn't been widely accepted or used around the world, especially among developed countries.

Not exactly a who's who of world leading countries:

Screenshot_9.jpg.6bfc64c9560f5e5a13dc2d7a0cb9a417.jpg

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1123927/sputnik-v-exports-from-russia-by-country/

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ourmanflint said:

Over 4000 excess deaths during March this year, over 5000 during so called second wave in Nov/Dec, wonder what that could possibly mean? April figures not yet released

Excess Mortality

I dont think it insidates much at all. It's just 2/100,000 people for excess deaths. This is 2 above the average for the past 5 years. If you look at other countries, they give unusual results. The US had 90K excess deaths, aside from those attriubuted to covid. The excess deaths in the Philippines was heavily negative, despite having a lot of covid deaths. 

5 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

We could compare how Britain has handled the epidemic, compared with Thailand. There is no reason to believe that Thailand will do as poorly as British efforts, pre-vaccination.

The virus in Thailand will spread more slowly than the UK, because conditions are not ideal for it. Too much UV, too hot, but it will continue to spread quietly. 

It will not stop spreading until it has run out of hosts to infect

8 hours ago, Brunolem said:

With a population of around 10 million for greater Bangkok, out of which probably 30 to 50% is already infected (and mostly asymptomatic), it will take years to test everyone at a rate of 10,000 per day.

One might thus expect the actual numbers of cases and deaths to keep coming up every day until year end and beyond.

Which makes one wonder:

How is it possible for a country that can test only a few thousands persons per day, to vaccinate 300,000 persons per day, starting next month?

Magic wand or wishful thinking... 

Edited by Artisi

1 minute ago, ourmanflint said:

The virus in Thailand will spread more slowly than the UK, because conditions are not ideal for it. Too much UV, too hot, but it will continue to spread quietly. 

You mean that Thailand is hot and has UV like India and Brazil?

Will that be your excuse when there isn’t a catastrophe?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

I guess you're just looking at the positivity rate from the active finding then at around 5 or 6 % which is far to high anyway, but maybe you should take into account he positivity rate from hospital walk ins to. They do count you know.

There's lots of wild cards, not just prisons.........................

5=6% is expected when they are testing in known clusters. Even the walk-in positivity ratre may be high. I'd be far more concerned if they came into my village (not a known risk area), tested, and found  a 5% positivity rate. 

2 minutes ago, ourmanflint said:

Asymptomatic and mild patients (when identified) are taken out of circulation here, so that should aid in reducing spread. I;d be more concered about the Indian variant, and getting the widespread vaccination going, before that arrives here. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, TaoNow said:

p.s. Please provide references for your claim about per capita testing levels for Covid-19 in the US and UK vis a vis Thailand

There is no question that Thailand’s 2 million RT-PCR tests conducted so far for its 70 million residents is, on a per capita basis, far lower than the US or UK.

Personally, I think Thailand should sample every district in the country, at least to the point a statistically sample, ie a normal curve.

Edited by Danderman123
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, TaoNow said:

So what is your point Brian?  That Thailand is incompetent, under-resourced, or barking up the wrong tree?

I am not a Thai apologist but I think we need to be objective about what or what isn't being done.

I would like to see Thailand do more of the type of surveillance they did with HIV, and I complained to my contacts at the Ministry of Public Health in early 2020.

Honestly I'm not going to repeat to you what I've already posted in this thread and yesterdays, if you're so interested in my opinion then you can seek it out. As for my claim on US or UK per capita testing use one of the stats sites. Plenty of them. Our world in data, or worldometers are the two most widely used and if you want proof that much visit them.

For the UK in particular just check here for absolute full figures https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/testing

There, you've got some homework to do now, good luck

1 minute ago, Bkk Brian said:

Honestly I'm not going to repeat to you what I've already posted in this thread and yesterdays, if you're so interested in my opinion then you can seek it out. As for my claim on US or UK per capita testing use one of the stats sites. Plenty of them. Our world in data, or worldometers are the two most widely used and if you want proof that much visit them.

For the UK in particular just check here for absolute full figures https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/testing

There, you've got some homework to do now, good luck

But you still haven't explained India and the value of mass testing.  So, I don't think it is worth going back over your posts.  So long.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DavisH said:

I dont think it insidates much at all. It's just 2/100,000 people for excess deaths. This is 2 above the average for the past 5 years. If you look at other countries, they give unusual results. The US had 90K excess deaths, aside from those attriubuted to covid. The excess deaths in the Philippines was heavily negative, despite having a lot of covid deaths. 

Terrible logic.

It indicates just what it should, that excess deaths being reported during so called covid waves are magnitudes higher than official reports. That is one big coincidence if not related to covid. 12000 extra people in Thailand did during 1st, 2nd and now 3rd waves of covid, they didn't do that at any other time

10 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

You mean that Thailand is hot and has UV like India and Brazil?

Will that be your excuse when there isn’t a catastrophe?

No, it should worry you that even with those environmental factors at play, the virus can get out of control. We were talking about how UK and Thailand differed. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

Obviously, the vaccine fiasco is going to result in long term damage to the country.

They can contain the epidemic, but they can’t stop it without the vaccine.

Contain it within the borders I agree, however, we do not want to see the entire country infected while they do their containing of it and keep it from escaping Thailand now do we.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, DavisH said:

5=6% is expected when they are testing in known clusters. Even the walk-in positivity ratre may be high. I'd be far more concerned if they came into my village (not a known risk area), tested, and found  a 5% positivity rate. 

Absolutely you should and hopefully that will not be the case in your village. Thank yourself lucky you're not living in the high risk areas where it is.

Regards your other comments, yes its to be expected and shows just how widespread the spread actually is, the walk ins by the way are well over 20% positive rate

Edited by Bkk Brian

The BMA on Friday reported the results of its outreach COVID testing during the past 10 days in the Khlong Toei district, finding 219 positive cases out of 5,843 test results thus far, for a positivity rate of 3.7 percent.  Of the 8,000+ outreach tests conducted in the area during that period, they're still waiting for test results from 2,189 of those.

05-07-21u.thumb.jpg.4805488c11522e0bb4d4a671cd3acc8c.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/earthpongsakornk/posts/517136399696260

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, anchadian said:

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/covid-19-vaccines-the-hot-topic-for-anutin/

“There is no challenge”, responded Thailand’s Public Health Minister, Anutin Charnvirakul, when asked by Thai PBS World what he thinks is the most challenging factor in the latest wave of the COVID-19.

TSNBg3wSBdng7ijMh1FodjDDPJmDbZBNSZIT8e8JuWw.jpeg

I thought the river De'nial was in Egypt, but it must be situated in the Hub of the Universe, Thailand.

• Haha 1

"The chief of Thailand’s Center for COVID-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) says the task force is not considering a potential lockdown or curfew to contain the current wave of COVID-19 cases, stressing further action will be discussed with the Ministry of Public Health after 14 days.

The National Security Council’s Secretary General Nattaphon Narkphanit, serving as the CCSA Director, said in regard to further action to curb this wave of COVID-19 that the center will be considering recommendations from the Ministry of Public Health before announcing any new measures.

Speaking in his live broadcast, the CCSA chief said curfews and lockdown measures will be the last to be considered, in order to prevent negative impact on the general public.