Warning to farangs in Phuket wishing to renew driving license.

Tbone999

Just a head's up for anyone wanting to renew their driving license at the DLT in Phuket. The doors are shut for us farangs to be allowed in to complete the process until further notice. Apparently, the room where the video is shown is so toxic with viral loads, that they couldn't get in to clean it, nor be able to move the said tv & video player to a more convenient location, perhaps in a ventilated area??. However, good new for the thais, since they have watched the video online, they are allowed to go through and complete all the other steps in order for them to get their new license. There is no specified date when they will allow anyone other than thais to go in, apart from a vague "couple of months", however, you'll also be pleased to know, that in the event it will be longer, we'll be required to spend another 1000baht to get new medical & residency certs. I just visited the centre this morning and that is the story. When questioned about the insurance issue with having expired licenses and accidents, was met with the usual blank stare, so I would be double checking with your insurance provider to verify. Would have been nice for it to have been posted on the website, but ah well. If you require further info without having to bother wasting your time to go there in person, then can call 076 214 930, which is the number given to us.

Edited by Tbone999
  • Thanks 1

glad i got mine in March  ????   3 days after my BD so it valid now till 2017!!!

we'll be required to spend another 1000baht to get new medical & residency certs

??
Paid 100 baht for the medical just near the transport office and the COR is free

• Thanks 1

Pretty sure this is nationwide as I've seen people talking about it in other places for quite awhile now. 

Also, I believe your license is being automatically extended until the DLT offices reopen. 

Maybe you should have done a quick search on Google (or ThaiVisa) before obtaining a certificate of residence and medical cert. 

19 minutes ago, digibum said:

Pretty sure this is nationwide as I've seen people talking about it in other places for quite awhile now. 

Also, I believe your license is being automatically extended until the DLT offices reopen. 

Maybe you should have done a quick search on Google (or ThaiVisa) before obtaining a certificate of residence and medical cert. 

HMM< many got their licenses in March/april in Phuket, ( i was one) 

IN feb they even got them by viewing the video at a driving school on phuket

PLUS; i dont think anyone's license was EXTENDED< it just was not invalid to drive on , but nobody ever said what the insurance companies said about that.

Edited by zzzzz
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, digibum said:

I went in for a 5yr license renewal which as far as I'm aware is still allowed, I already went in March and was given another date to come back today. The thais who are in there for the same thing are allowed in with no issues (yes, they are open for the listed exceptions as above). I also brought my weekly shower forward especially for the occasion!

Edited by Tbone999
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Nothing really new and surprising here.

Medical certificate required for all extensions since a while.

Proof of residence has always been required.

And about the reduced services, maybe this helps to shed light on the matter?

Edited by KhunBENQ

20 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Nothing really new and surprising here.

Medical certificate required for all extensions since a while.

Proof of residence has always been required.

And about the reduced services, maybe this helps to shed light on the matter?

I've never used a medical certificate for extensions

• Like 1

1 hour ago, beechbum said:

I've never used a medical certificate for extensions

Mandatory for all extensions >>since a while<<. Clear now?

Don't ask me for exact date of change. Months ago.

Confirmed by some posts here. The unknowing being sent away to get one.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

I also have not supplied a med certificate for a LONG time here in Phuket, cant remember the last time 1 was asked for

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

Correct. It's sure mandatory since february. Did my 5 year dl renew end february. Before that didn't need medical c. in all the years.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, schlog said:

It's sure mandatory since february.

Sounds plausible. It's just not worth to dig through the forum to find the first announcement.

The certificate form has also changed and said to have a self declaration part (about epilepsy or the like).

I have another two years to find out myself.

Edited by KhunBENQ

I drove on an ex

On 5/7/2021 at 10:05 AM, KarenBravo said:

I think you can let your DL expire by one year before they BiB does anything.

Does anyone know for sure?

I drove on an expired licence for a few months after similar issues. I was stopped three times and asked for my licence during a tour of Isaan (last year's summer holiday!) and nothing was mentioned. That's not to say it's legal or otherwise and I'd say it's up to the mood of the cop on the day and as for insurance ramifications I really don't know.

1 hour ago, schlog said:

Correct. It's sure mandatory since february. Did my 5 year dl renew end february. Before that didn't need medical c. in all the years.

people are confusing  extensions ( for ur visa) an Getting a renewal for ur driving license
Like is said, dont need a med for extensions<
but past 2 times ( 2015, 2021) needed a medical for the driving license.

cant recall before then.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, zzzzz said:

people are confusing  extensions ( for ur visa) an Getting a renewal for ur driving license
Like is said, dont need a med for extensions<
but past 2 times ( 2015, 2021) needed a medical for the driving license.

cant recall before then.

No medical for extension last number of years. Last license 2016, no medical.

However I would expect a lot has changed 20/21. Be virus test next or vax cert. 

My last DL renewal was just after the 1st covid lockdown, so a few months ago and as the many previous occasions no medical cert needed, can't recall ever being asked, not even in the paper licence days.

5 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

No medical for extension last number of years. Last license 2016, no medical.

However I would expect a lot has changed 20/21. Be virus test next or vax cert. 

Chinese up the backside type covid test!!

• 5 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, joloit said:

Anything new on 5 years driver's license renewel in Phuket?

Yes, generally speaking, I think you will need to visit Land Transport two times.  The first time to get an appointment.  The second time to be processed for a new license.  The requirements as far as documentation is the same.  One person has reported that LTO might accept a yellow book as proof of address rather than a Certificate of Residence from the immigration office, so if that turns out to be true that would be a welcome improvement.