From winner to loser: Thailand’s downhill battle with COVID

webfact

6 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

The way it looks by how they are acting is it is simply collateral damage in order to get to a point having a certain lab supplier here that saves the day. Wasn't it said just before Songkran - Que Sera Sera, Whatever Will Be Will Be? Or am I mixing up the correct saying? Anyway I like the Doris Day song. My folks used to sing it - When I was just a little boy.

"Who do you think you're foolin"?

Maybe former PM Yingluck is not so sad she is not PM and having to deal with this  mess.

She live in exile in country where she has comfort without Covid19 crisis disrupting her life.  I wonder if she  thanks the generals in her evening prayers?

8 minutes ago, internationalism said:

according Ch3 News the government urges temples to pray special sutra every day, until virus is gone.

That's how dramatic things look like from the government poit of view.

They have failed and expect worse in the near future

Ah a Buddhist chant to chase away Covid.  Will they also be giving out magical amulets and doing Buddhist tattoos that provide a magical element and light up to ward of Covid just as they do on the television to ward of the evil spirits of others....oh heavens to Betsytsy, what has become of the sane people.  We pray daily for health, wealth, prosperity and long lives, but does that ever work.  I know a few that pray over their lottery numbers but then that never works either.....

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, internationalism said:

the government urges temples to pray special sutra every day, until virus is gone.

Not only pray..

Ora et labora guys... ORA ET LABORA,

2 minutes ago, Patong2021 said:

Maybe former PM Yingluck is not so sad she is not PM and having to deal with this  mess.

Bit like Cameron after the Brexit vote............ quoted as saying....... "Well I am not staying on to deal with this ßhit" 

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

That is the result of total incompetence of a military power grab to try and govern a country, failed, failed, failed.

You mean just like America?

Thailand made a huge mistake of urging Thai's to travel for the Songkran holiday, just like Trump advocated Americans to travel for the 4th of July.

Same same, but same.........

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, rasmus5150 said:

You mean just like America?

Thailand made a huge mistake of urging Thai's to travel for the Songkran holiday, just like Trump advocated Americans to travel for the 4th of July.

Same same, but same.........

Agree, however I do believe Songkran is a longer holiday than the 4th of July ?

• Like 2

The Ancient Greeks said hubris is always followed by nemesis. Too bad the military government never got a classical education.

The hubris in allowing people to travel during Songkhran, instead of banning inter-provincial travel as in 2020, is what is causing the current spike.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Eric Loh said:

I do agree with you that relatively speaking, Thailand is not doing badly even compare with neighbouring Malaysia who has imposed MCO for KL and JB to corral the daily infection rising cases. They registered 3,788 new infections just last Friday. Thailand infection cases has kind of remained steady but deaths are of grave concern. India is just sad. However, the government did dropped the ball when they allow Songkran travelling to proceed, didn't tightened the immigration that allowed other variants to slip in and didn't impose strict rules on clubs.  Thailand is still better but we certainly not out of the woods and need lots of self discipline to mitigate the spread. 

Thanks

I have to admit I am surprised that Thais are as disciplined as they are. But I think with some things it's basically impossible to restrict them. I.e. gambling. It's illegal, but somehow the authorities don't find all those gambling dens which the clients find easily...

About Songkran: I think it does not make much sense to restrict something which basically can't be restricted. Sometimes things have to be allowed because in reality it can't be efficiently controlled.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I have to admit I am surprised that Thais are as disciplined as they are

Yes...rather paradoxical.......totally out of control rule breakers for somethings then totally docile and follow the rules  religiously for other things....???

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

Everyone knows the less people you test, the less infected numbers will be provided.

How many times have infected numbers gone over 2,000 since April till now, it's mainly hovering around that number, perhaps because it's manageable that way so as not to spook the country before the vaccines start being rolled out in June, i.e. don't want a mad rush now do we.

So, you believe the numbers, but feel that there should be more testing. Okay, we are in agreement.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Danderman123 said:

Most of the new infections have remained in Bangkok.

During Songkran many Bangkokians went out. The mechanics of that is not too plausible.

Isn't it more likely that Bangkok is most heavily tested?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This is a total failure of government. Vaccination is the answer now. The testing was last years preventive method. There is a way to get drugs here quickly and save countless lives. There in a guy in the Ministry of Agriculture that has a lot of experience in drug procurement. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Fromas said:

During Songkran many Bangkokians went out. The mechanics of that is not too plausible.

Isn't it more likely that Bangkok is most heavily tested?

Let's do the math: a million people from Bangkok went up to the provinces for Songkran. Let's assume an infection rate of 5% for those people, you can plug in whatever infection rate you want here.  Let's say that R0 was 1 for those infected people, that would be far lower than any reported figure. Songkran was about 3 weeks ago. If my numbers are right, there would now be at least 50,000 people infected in the provinces, maybe 5,000 in hospital, and lots of deaths in the provinces. 

But there aren't. 

Another example: lots of people went to Pattaya for Songkran, but, despite extensive testing in Chonburi, there just aren't that many infections. 

But, there are many infections in Bangkok. 

1 minute ago, Danderman123 said:

If my numbers are right, there would now be at least 50,000 people infected in the provinces, maybe 5,000 in hospital, and lots of deaths in the provinces. 

But there aren't.

Sincerely hope you're right.

14 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

No, I do not agree with the numbers as the numbers provided prove nothing, again, the less people you test, the lower the numbers, so in fact the numbers reported are not the real numbers of people infected with Covid.

Just think, how many people walking around not being tested, they could have Covid, do we know, no, how do we find out, we test them, simple math really.

I am just trying to be precise, because some people believe everything they read on the internet. 

You don't believe that the government is making up numbers, you just don't think they test enough. 

Do you think they are testing enough in Chonburi? 

• Confused 1