Thailand to introduce 300 baht ‘tourist fee’ from January

webfact

Just now, RichardColeman said:

Thing is that if they charged a 1000 baht per entry or visa renewal to cover all medical bills whilst in the country, I think most of us would go with it. Taking  money for nothing ir their previous failures is just a tourist scam

Well whilst I agree with your philosophy there I doubt very much if that was instigated ( medical coverage) that you would have the chance to look at the conditions prior to purchase so hence it would just likely be another high level Thai government money making scam of tourists. 

• Like 1

Just now, Ireland32 said:

They clearly don’t want Tourist , Shoot themselves in foot every darn day 

Well shooting should not be mentioned in the same context as the current ex army Commander-In-Chief now PM

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, EricTh said:

This is ridiculous.

Why should all tourists pay for a few scumbags who didn't pay their hospital bills? Those few scumbags should be jailed until they pay their bills.

'Management of tourist attractions' is already covered by the double pricing of the tickets for foreigners. Thai also visit these places so the tickets already cover the costs.

Why should all tourists pay for some tourist attractions that they don't want to visit or never visited?

It is hare-brained idea.

you may not get what it is all about?

1 hour ago, webfact said:

The idea behind the fee was that any money generated would be used in the management of tourist attractions as well as helping to cover the medical bills of uninsured tourists.

Get rid of the stupid mandatory insurance then!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EricTh said:

Lol. Do you really believe that 300 baht will cover all medical fees?

When it is time, they will say it doesn't cover A, B, C,D etc. meaning you still have to pay.

A- surgery

B- professional doctor fees

C- chronic disease

The 300 baht will probably only cover minor illness like  food poisoning, sore throat, fever etc.

Or just seeing the doctor.

• Like 1

Yet another reason to give Thailand a miss.....for the people like myself that pay for travel insurance why would I need to pay 300bt.....why can't they just charge people that are too stupid to pay for insurance in the first place I don't wanna subsidise others holidays....!!

• Like 1

Last year Thai media suggested that 34 baht will go towards insurance while the rest would be used for the maintenance and development tourism sites. 

and another rip off from TAT, the current (double charge) so called special foreign fee to visit any park was supposed to be for the maintenance & development of THAI tourists sites, the Thai citizens visit and some destroy the sites, but we, foreigners should pay for their poor behavior, should we understand only foreigners damage the sites .... they really are running out of ideas 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WineOh said:

Genius idea.

Absolutely brilliant.

That should woo the tourists back no danger..

Maybe they were inspired by the genius of others.

“Tone-Deaf Heathrow Airport ‘Pandemic Tax’ Will Further Stifle Travel”

https://www.forbes.com/sites/benbaldanza/2021/03/02/tone-deaf-heathrow-airport-pandemic-tax-will-further-stifle-travel/?sh=784048a87d3c

20 minutes ago, DrMJA said:

. . . the double pricing and/or exuberant fee's charged to travelers Insurance companies, is not enough to cover the "Unpaid" medical bills . . .

There is never enough to cover Greed, Corruption, and out right Thievery.

' nuff said. "

Ok,  now your done with the general population.

what about the government.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, FinChin67 said:

Mr Phiphat said that if Thailand can attract 20 million tourists in 2022, then some 6.2 billion baht  could be generated for the fund. 

False.

the magic of the phrase is the ""IF""  555

1 hour ago, JustAnotherFarang said:

But it means for just 300 baht we are all insured so thats means no more exhorbitant hospital fees right? 

insurance requirement for visa has been scraped..

pay 300 and it’s a state cover..

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Straight8 said:

Surely no one can be this gullible ??

'Surely no one can be this gullible ??'

No, been here too long. And when I return here with my 're-entry permit will they accept I am not a tourist and need not pay this money?