Lucid Dreaming and Sleep Paralysis

Pilotman

I have had this for years and its frightening when it happens.  Had it again last night, I was asleep but knew it and I could not wake up. I knew that I was in bed,  but I was paralysed.  In this state I was shouting for my wife to wake me up , but all she heard were grunts, although she did shake me awake, but it took her a good few seconds before I was truly awake.  Its like being in a coma ( I imagine) awake, but not awake and unable to move.  It makes me kind of apprehensive about sleeping, which is not good.  I'm not on medication and I had only two glasses of wine in the evening,  plus a light evening meal, so no rime nor reason to it.  Its not a medical issue , so I placed it in General Topics. Anyone else experience this on a regular basis? 

• Like 2

Called Sleep paralysis:

Your body sleep while your brain is awakening.... not usual but no danger for your health.

If it happen again, try to relax and give a time before shout again. ????

Edited by Tarteso
  • Like 1

Lucid dreams are fun, taking melatonin often makes that happen. Paralysis had it once was a bit strange but did not freak me out as i had read about it in the past. Still its not nice not being able to move but conscious.

I would not worry too much about it and just accept it. No need to fear it as it does no damage. 

4 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

Mmmm....might give that a buzz.........although I must produce a lot already as I never go brown.

Be careful with it some people wake up drowsy from it. I sleep well on it but if i use it multiple days it wont work for me anymore.

• Like 2

I used to have these in my 20's after a heavy weekend on, well, let's say certain 'substances.'

They usually happened on a Sunday night..

Not had them since I knocked all that on the head a while back.

Kinda miss them though.

I once turned a light on, flew around my bedroom and was about to look in the mirror when I suddenly woke up.

Edited by WineOh
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, WineOh said:

I once turned a light on, flew around my bedroom and was about to look in the mirror when I woke up.

Hate that feeling when I know I am going to lose the dream.........you suddenly recall you are "in the dream" and controlling it which in-turn triggers me waking up.

• Like 1

I use Codiphen occasionally when I want a good night's sleep. I get very vivid and detailed dreams when I do.

My main concern is waking up from sleep to a painful leg cramp, although regular massage keeps those at bay.

I have it on occasion. It occurs when I sleep flat on my back. I'm a side sleeper but like to relax flat on my back before I nod off. It does not do this every time I sleep flat on my back, by any means. However it has happened enough, is extremely unpleasant, as you know. I specifically make sure I sleep on my side if possible. Likely my own personal idiosyncrasies, but .. for what its worth.  

6 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

it actually lasts just a few minutes at most, but can seem longer.

Not research it, but it crossed my mind........... is a second of dreamtime equal to second of real time?

I have huge, complex, detailed dreams that would seem to be hours long.......but maybe they only last for minutes or even seconds in "dreamtime".

Edited by Surelynot
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

Not research it, but it crossed my mind........... is a second of dreamtime equal to second of real time?

I have huge, complex, detailed dreams that would seem to be hours long.......but maybe they only last for minutes or even seconds in "dreamtime".

indeed, time passes very differently in dreams.

• Like 1

Not had the paralysis but up till a year ago i suffered for decades from REM Sleep Disorder where you physically act out your dreams, for example in the dream a dog is lunging at me so I kick out, often kicking the wall. Worst was dreaming I fell off a bridge annd literally fell out the bed.

For some reason it has not occured in a year or so, but to be sure I have had to get used to facing away from my sleeping partner. I've never been in a real fight in my life, but have punched or kicked all 3 wives at some time.

Perhaps it will just pass too, but I agree that would not be a nice feeling.

Funnilly enough I just stopped snoring for no reason too, so the wife is happy.

Good luck on finding a solution.

• Like 2

Just now, Saltire said:

Worst was dreaming I fell off a bridge annd literally fell out the bed.

Can you explain this?............had a bad childhood so I scream, fight and kick almost every night (people are always trying to murder me)........... but this one.............

Riding a horse into a field filling with water...........the water crept up so the horse eventually had to swim......suddenly we were both submerged and pulled by a current into an underwater tunnel....both of us drowning.......as that happened I fell out of bed and knocked a pint glass of water all over my head.......I was drenched.

Did I fall out of bed and in that split second of falling, have the whole dream of riding into the field ......was it just pure coincidence..... drowning and getting drenched?  Weird.

9 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

Can you explain this?............had a bad childhood so I scream, fight and kick almost every night (people are always trying to murder me)........... but this one.............

Riding a horse into a field filling with water...........the water crept up so the horse eventually had to swim......suddenly we were both submerged and pulled by a current into an underwater tunnel....both of us drowning.......as that happened I fell out of bed and knocked a pint glass of water all over my head.......I was drenched.

Did I fall out of bed and in that split second of falling, have the whole dream of riding into the field ......was it just pure coincidence..... drowning and getting drenched?  Weird.

Apparently dreams about water and drowning are quite common ones, so I'd say the pint glass was an added extra to your dream in this case, but who knows. I'd say coincidence. Try it with a pint of beer and see if your dream is in a bar? ????

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Saltire said:

Apparently dreams about water and drowning are quite common ones, so I'd say the pint glass was an added extra to your dream in this case, but who knows. I'd say coincidence. Try it with a pint of beer and see if your dream is in a bar? ????

Might give that a go.....5555

3 hours ago, Sheryl said:

I have experienced it a couple of times. Most people have.

It is not a form of lucid dreaming. It occurs when you are transitioning between sleep stages.

it actually lasts just a few minutes at most, but can seem longer.

Basically you just need to find a way to manage your reaction to it as it is the fear reaction that is the problem, not the momentary expereince.  Some people find it helpful to mentally recite something when it happens - a prayer,  mantra,  poem, affirmation, whatever works for you. And remind yourself it is temporary and will pass.

Sheryl, I have read (google) that there is no underlying medical condition that helps to trigger it, is that true? 

Google 'sleep paralysis wiggle toes' - something  I read a long time ago about attempts to force yourself out of the paralysis when in this state.

I've never experienced it myself but I know a few who have.

• Thanks 1

I guess that the terror of this, and terror is the right word I think, is that people in a coma, or in a supposed 'permanent vegetative state' may be  experiencing  this 24/7.  That is a truly awful prospect. I'm probably making too much of this, but last  night's episode was not a pleasant experience at all. 

4 hours ago, Surelynot said:

Mmmm....might give that a buzz.........although I must produce a lot already as I never go brown.

You are thinking of melanin.  Melatonin is a completely different thing.