Have to send bitcoin to join bitcointalk.org

I signed up to bitcointalk.org and was greeted with a request to send them a negligible amount of bitcoin. Should I send it? I've had problems in the past when trying to edit Wikipedia from a Thai IP, so it could well be that Thai addresses have caused problems on bitcointalk.org too. Is there any reason not to send the bitcoin? 

image.png.59f8dc1dfe879ae27c24726f667895ef.png

Like all these things, UP2U.

If you pay and get access, then next time you log on from a different Thai IP will they again demand payment? You may wish to get confirmation from the forum Admin before paying anything.

How desperate are you to join this forum?

10 minutes ago, Crossy said:

If you pay and get access, then next time you log on from a different Thai IP will they again demand payment? You may wish to get confirmation from the forum Admin before paying anything.

Yeah, that was my concern.  I would imagine that once you have a validated account, you shouldn't have to pay again. It's not really possible to ask an Admin until you've paid to join. Another alternative would be to try to join with a different email address and username from my phone, rather than via my router, or via VPNs. I don't really wan the hassle. 

I'm not desperate to join, but the cost seems to be virtually nothing, so if joining is just a case of a couple of extra clicks (to send some bitcoin),  I'm okay with that. I just wanted to be sure there is nothing I'm missing. 

Hmm, there was no fee or anything when I signed up, but that was back in 2013.  Maybe try with a VPN?

That said, the usefulness of the forum has gone seriously down hill.   In the early days  there was more focus on the various coins, and of course bitcoin itself.   Now it's all folks making guesses about the market and a lot of weird urban myth type threads.

Edited by Heng

Do you really need to write anything there? Most useful information is many years old and accessible without registration.

That forum is half dead already, filled with thousands of indian and russian bots promoting scam coins, and there is no moderation or administration to delete obvious bots and fake accounts.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, fdsa said:

Do you really need to write anything there? Most useful information is many years old and accessible without registration.

That forum is half dead already, filled with thousands of indian and russian bots promoting scam coins, and there is no moderation or administration to delete obvious bots and fake accounts.

I think you're right. I've thought better of it.

Edited by Exploring Thailand