Over 60s in Thailand to have option of Sinovac vaccine, not just AstraZeneca

webfact

5 hours ago, Flying Saucage said:

I definitely would prefer Astra Zeneca over this Chinese placebo with its negligible efficiency and unknowns side effects.

Having read this article which says that Malaysia is also going down this path, one has to ask, did those countries mentioned in this article, who administered this vaccine to those millions of people over 60, actually advise them of the findings at that time, i.e. that it wasn't suitable for people over 60, but we are going to try it on you anyway, I doubt it, so what does that make them, G..... pigs ?

https://www.thestar.com.my/news/nation/2021/04/12/covid-19-those-60-and-above-will-be-given-sinovac-vaccine-says-khairy#:~:text=On the advice of experts,senior citizens%2C" he said.

• Like 1

Here's a quote from the WHO's website that references overall efficacy rate and some additional details for Sinopharm.  Link to article also included.

"WHO’s Strategic Advisory Group of Experts on Immunization (SAGE) has also completed its review of the vaccine. On the basis of all available evidence, WHO recommends the vaccine for adults 18 years and older, in a two-dose schedule with a spacing of three to four weeks. Vaccine efficacy for symptomatic and hospitalized disease was estimated to be 79%, all age groups combined.  

Few older adults (over 60 years) were enrolled in clinical trials, so efficacy could not be estimated in this age group.  Nevertheless, WHO is not recommending an upper age limit for the vaccine because preliminary data and supportive immunogenicity data suggest the vaccine is likely to have a protective effect in older persons.  There is no theoretical reason to believe that the vaccine has a different safety profile in older and younger populations.  WHO therefore recommends that countries using the vaccine in older age groups conduct safety and effectiveness monitoring to make the recommendation more robust."

https://www.who.int/news/item/07-05-2021-who-lists-additional-covid-19-vaccine-for-emergency-use-and-issues-interim-policy-recommendations

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, gearbox said:

Around 30% of Samui is fully vaccinated with 2 Sinovac shots. I haven't heard any complaints or prejudices here.

They don't have any new cases here in the last few days, will see how it goes.

Thais only or are some expats getting jabbed also.  Great news!!

11 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

Thais only or are some expats getting jabbed also.  Great news!!

Only Thais as far as I know. They are telling me they got more vaccines and the bookings will be opened again.

I find this inappropriate as many young people got vaccinated, who are neither front line worker or vulnerable. The vaccines should go first to the people who wound be affected the most, but the govt is still pursuing their goal to open the islands for tourists, who may not come.

I probably will fly back to Europe to get a Pfizer shot, I don't think the expats would be getting any vaccines soon.

Edited by gearbox
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, gearbox said:

Another interesting article on Sinovac...a study in Brazil was done to vaccinate a small city 85-90% with two shots, and observe the results:

https://www.canadianinquirer.net/2021/05/07/how-a-small-city-in-brazil-may-reveal-how-fast-vaccines-can-curb-covid-19/

WSJ runs the same article but is behind a paywall.

Would be interesting to see what happens if Samui is vaccinated to 70-80% as planned.

That is a fantastic article!  Shows the jabs are our way out of this mess.  Now...how to deal with the anti-vaxx'er nuts.

• Like 1

In European countries they prefers not to give AstaZeneca vaccine to people under the age of 60 years due to side effects that especially increase under the age of 40. In Britain everybody under 40 gets a choice for an alternative, as the risk of blood clots is 1:100,000 when in the 40s, but 1:60,000 when in the 30s – and at least one European country has totally stopped using both AZ and J&J vaccines, they are both "vector" vaccines – I would have thought that people under 60 years should have the choice for an alternative vaccine...????

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

i think the latter.

And that the term "option" in the article is misleading.

This is not good news.

Yeah it really doesn't sound as if people using the public system will really get a choice. Could be another lost in translation kind of thing. Here's your option -- take it or leave it. 

Next

27 minutes ago, John Drake said:

If Thai people are told that Sinovac is their only "option," many of them will refuse it. This isn't going to help the goal of so-called herd immunity.

I agree of course. But if that's a lot of what they've got to give and there appears to be good evidence that it does provide reasonably good protection against severe symptoms and death then the health authorities need to step up an aggressive PR campaign to persuade people that it's still has great value to take it. 

BTW, yes I would take it myself if it came to that. So it's not the best one.  Oh well.

Perhaps ads like this tailored to the Thai population of course. 

Edited by Jingthing

There is some resemblance of other countries relaxing their restrictions for traveling !

The  lowest efficacy rating of the major vacc's is  the chinese vaccine  sinovax,I believe !

My question is are there countries that are less likely to accept this vaccine for travel requirement's ?

Edited by riclag
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Yeah it really doesn't sound as if people using the public system will really get a choice. Could be another lost in translation kind of thing. Here's your option -- take it or leave it. 

Next

The option is for the governmment to give over 60s any vaccine they want.  

Edited by Dogmatix

10 minutes ago, Enzian said:

I'm the strongest over 80 you'll ever meet, strong as a horse. I don't care. I'll take a different one every month till they run out of names. Just let's do it!

Take a different one every month. I hope you not talking about the horse. Anyway linked this just a reminder not to be too cocky. Fitness buff nearly die from Covid and half your age.

https://www.wusa9.com/mobile/article/news/health/coronavirus/fit-man-nearly-dies-from-covid-shares-tough-recovery/65-5203b573-9eea-4eee-ba58-e7f7ccbff7ab

That's good news.  If forced to take a shot in order to remain in Thailand to support my wife (which I'm sure will become a future requirement to obtain a future visa extension), I'd rather take the one based on decades of testing and licensed use (inactivated virus vaccines) as apposed be being a lab rat in global-wide human trials of "experimental vaccines" (mRNA and adenoviral vectors <gene-shufflers> vaccines) that have been developed and rolled out in less than a year's time for use on humans without the rigorous animal testing that I personally want to see before I'd consider taking it.  If other people want to take it to feel "safe", that is fine with me, I just don't want my family forced down that path until I see a minimum of five years of vaccine study data.
So this is good news as the wife and I now have the choice both of us being over 60.  Maybe we'll review the epidemiological data and reconsider the new vaccines when they are no longer new, but thoroughly tested and licensed for use outside of an "emergency authorization."

1 minute ago, connda said:

That's good news.  If forced to take a shot in order to remain in Thailand to support my wife (which I'm sure will become a future requirement to obtain a future visa extension), I'd rather take the one based on decades of testing and licensed use (inactivated virus vaccines) as apposed be being a lab rat in global-wide human trials of "experimental vaccines" (mRNA and adenoviral vectors <gene-shufflers> vaccines) that have been developed and rolled out in less than a year's time for use on humans without the rigorous animal testing that I personally want to see before I'd consider taking it.  If other people want to take it to feel "safe", that is fine with me, I just don't want my family forced down that path until I see a minimum of five years of vaccine study data.
So this is good news as the wife and I now have the choice both of us being over 60.  Maybe we'll review the epidemiological data and reconsider the new vaccines when they are no longer new, but thoroughly tested and licensed for use outside of an "emergency authorization."

mRNA jabs are not new.  They've been around for some time, but have not been used widely like this.  And right now, few side effects, and they seem to be the best.

You'll have to wait about 5-7 years before the mRNA jabs aren't "new" any more.  They just applied for full FDA approval, which will take several months.

Worth a watch:

"People aged 60 or over in Thailand now have the option of having the Chinese-made Sinovac,"

I think it might be useful if whoever writes these bits get a tad more specific. Let me help with my correction

People  Thais aged 60 or over in Thailand now have the option of having the Chinese-made Sinovac,

Last time I looked, folks from other nations are often classified as People

9 hours ago, Jimbone said:

That Thailand is betting on the SInovac, with an efficiency, based on Brazil, at around 50%, is telling. Backing the wrong horse. in a life or death situation.

I heard "efficacy" being knocked around a lot, but what do people believe that "efficacy" actually means?  Protects a human from contracting and spreading the virus or protect someone who contracts the virus from getting really sick.  Plus when a vaccine developer and manufacturer tells you that their studies prove a nn% efficacy, I'd simply counter with "The manufacturer has a significant conflict of interest" and as such I'll believe their own numbers as far as I can throw them.  The only data I'm going to trust is data from independent studies conducted by researchers and institutions who have absolutely no conflict of interest or connections (financial or otherwise) with the manufacturer/patent holder.

So I'm not too moved by the whole "efficacy" debate one way or the other.  Given time, like five years, we'll know.  In the short term?  Believe what makes you feel "safe."  Pump into your own arm what you're personally willing to trust.  And don't worry about what your "brother" is doing.  Concentrate on yourself and be happy.

Edited by connda