COVID-19 vaccines, the hot topic for Anutin

webfact

4 hours ago, webfact said:

“There is no challenge”, responded Thailand’s Public Health Minister, Anutin Charnvirakul, when asked by Thai PBS World what he thinks is the most challenging factor in the latest wave of the COVID-19.

Hot topic...... more like a hot potato !

14 minutes ago, khunjeff said:

"He said Thailand signed the contract [with AZ] in October last year, during a time when the country had no locally transmitted infections. “That means we were not careless,” he said." 

So he's saying that since they didn't take into consideration that the situation might worsen, their decision shouldn't be criticized? Not sure that's the argument I would use if I were a government minister tasked with safeguarding the people's health and safety.

For some reason it reminds of schoolboy excuses:

The dog ate my homework.

I left my school satchel on the bus.

My pen ran out of ink.

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, khunjeff said:

"He said Thailand signed the contract [with AZ] in October last year, during a time when the country had no locally transmitted infections. “That means we were not careless,” he said." 

Back in October there were no approved vaccines and it was only the affluent countries that had already invested in multiple vaccine developments.

Tell us how many other emerging economies had invested in vaccines at that time?

Obviously you believe that the government were careless investing with AZ and it was the governments fault that AZ failed to meet their obligation to deliver in February, nothing to do with the UK,EU and India hogging the supply.

No one likes to be asked if they've stopped beating their wife. And politicians don't like to be asked leading questions. But such questions are a chance to change the subject and bring up something that hasn't been out there enough, that the public needs to think about. But his brain doesn't go that far.

5 hours ago, sandyf said:

Obviously you believe that the government were careless investing with AZ and it was the governments fault that AZ failed to meet their obligation to deliver in February, nothing to do with the UK,EU and India hogging the supply.

I read that they 'ordered' 35 million doses of the vaccine here on this forum - in this thread :

Was this order cancelled because it certainly didn't arrive?

I get the feeling there's a lot going on behind the scenes that's hidden from us.

10 minutes ago, ukrules said:

I read that they 'ordered' 35 million doses of the vaccine here on this forum - in this thread :

I get the feeling there's a lot going on behind the scenes that's hidden from us.

As far as I am aware 117K doses from the 26 million due in Feb have arrived from South Korea, the balance is not now expected till about Aug/Sept.

The 35 million is not expected till about Dec.

In November 2020, the authorities ordered 26 million doses of vaccine from AstraZeneca, which reported 70% overall efficacy.[82] It requires 2 doses of vaccine per person, so the quantity ordered would only covered 13 million people.[83] Prayut cabinet later approved budget for ordering 35 million additional doses in January 2021.[84] 

Siam Bioscience, a company owned by King Vajiralongkorn, will received technological transfer for co-investment.[85] The authorities would also imported 2 million doses of vaccine from Sinovac, a Chinese company which Thai conglomerate Charoen Pokphand invested in,[86] during February to April 2021.[87]

Likewise, Thai government also stepped up its attempt to produce its homeground vaccines amidst criticism,[88] with "ChulaCov19" and set to put trial on May 2021.[89] Phase I testing of the NDV-HXP-S vaccine began at Mahidol University in March 2021.[90][91]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COVID-19_pandemic_in_Thailand

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm surprised that there isn't a video of these Thai super-stars suddenly jumping up and spontaneously breaking out into a Bollywood-style dance number with AZ and Sinovac props and dancing syringes.

external-content.duckduckgo_com.jpeg.81c6a029f4a2de4175e1473cee116fbf.jpeg

Edited by connda

7 hours ago, khunjeff said:

Nope.  Careless happened when you all allowed Covid-infected people from Covid Red-Zones to travel across the entirety of Thailand unimpeded during Songkran instead of limiting travel or shutting down inter-provincial travel altogether. 
Now you have a "challenge" Your Arrogance.  Now the whole of Thailand has a challenge. And guess whose fault it was.  No.  Not the commoners.  Look in a mirror.  That's who is at fault.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sandyf said:

Back in October there were no approved vaccines and it was only the affluent countries that had already invested in multiple vaccine developments.

Tell us how many other emerging economies had invested in vaccines at that time?

Thailand never had plans to import AZ. Siam Bioscience was licensed by Astra Zeneca to produce the vaccine for all of SE Asia, including Thailand.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bluesofa said:

For some reason it reminds of schoolboy excuses:

The dog ate my homework.

I left my school satchel on the bus.

My pen ran out of ink.

The dog ate my vaccines!  ????
I left my vaccines on the bus. ????
My syringe ran out of vaccine.  ????

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Thailand never had plans to import AZ. Siam Bioscience was licensed by Astra Zeneca to produce the vaccine for all of SE Asia, including Thailand.

So where did the AZ currently being used come from?

What part of this from the post above do you find difficult?

In November 2020, the authorities ordered 26 million doses of vaccine from AstraZeneca, which reported 70% overall efficacy.[82] It requires 2 doses of vaccine per person, so the quantity ordered would only covered 13 million people.[83] Prayut cabinet later approved budget for ordering 35 million additional doses in January 2021.[84]

Siam Bioscience, a company owned by King Vajiralongkorn, will received technological transfer for co-investment.[85] 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COVID-19_pandemic_in_Thailand

11 hours ago, ukrules said:

Don't believe every thing you read from these clowns ???? they will say anything to try and please the population, and flip flop on things they say, 

Anutin doesn't see anything as a Challenge, he doesn't give a toss about the citizens of Thailand, he still gets his salary every Month, plus all the brown envelopes he can muster.... 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, connda said:

I'm surprised that there isn't a video of these Thai super-stars suddenly jumping up and spontaneously breaking out into a Bollywood-style dance number with AZ and Sinovac props and dancing syringes.

external-content.duckduckgo_com.jpeg.81c6a029f4a2de4175e1473cee116fbf.jpeg

All whilst socially distanced, NOT.