Thailand Remains in US Watch List

webfact

5 minutes ago, Flying Saucage said:

I guess most of the stuff there is imported from China, except most clothes.

42 minutes ago, simple1 said:

Explanation for Thailand remaining on US IP watchlist on Page 65 at:

https://ustr.gov/sites/default/files/2020_Special_301_Report.pdf

Read simple1's link. We're not only talking heavy manufacturing. 

Worldwide, most "real" stuff is imported from China. And, the concern is not only the manufacture, but also access, sale, and distribution. 

There is millions of baht of domestically pirated software, DVDs, CDs, and "designer" goods available at the venues I cited.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, simple1 said:

Explanation for Thailand remaining on US IP watchlist on Page 65 at:

https://ustr.gov/sites/default/files/2020_Special_301_Report.pdf

As I read the report on page 65, in part the USA is waiting for Thailand to amend its Copyright Act and put enforcement teeth in it, especially with IP.

With regard to pirated and fake goods being (massively?) imported from China to Thailand, the USA appears to want more Import enforceable procedures by Thailand to stop such products from China BEFORE they enter the Thai marketplace where enforcement burden shifts to the RTP.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Flying Saucage said:

Never heard that in Thailand anything technically demanding is illegally copied other than T-shirts.

This is not China, where they copy everything, even airplanes and high-speed trains. The new Chinese Comac passenger jets are quite exact copies of Airbus. 

But Thailand? Come on!

I think it's 1) simply someone's job to be thorough and Thailand is a known issue for decades and 2) there are likely some intelligent people in the US government bodies keeping southeast asian countries on their toes in anticipation of China trying to use countries like Thailand, Myanmar, Laos and others as proxies.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Flying Saucage said:

Never heard that in Thailand anything technically demanding is illegally copied other than T-shirts.

This is not China, where they copy everything, even airplanes and high-speed trains. The new Chinese Comac passenger jets are quite exact copies of Airbus. 

But Thailand? Come on!

Stealing IP goes beyond copying and manufacturing

How many govt agencies here use pirated software?

Having worked on both Airbus and Comac I can assure you that it is not a copy with the Chinese one being generations behind in just about every way

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Flying Saucage said:

I guess most of the stuff there is imported from China, except most clothes.

At Pantip it used to take about 30 minutes while the software was copied off site.  Tough to get an order from China for one disk in 30 minutes

It is one of the good things about living in Thailand.

Currently at home watching the footy wearing my Prada t-shirt, my Billabong shorts wearing my Rolex watch and Havanas with my Louis Vuitton wallet in my pocket.

About one million bahts worth, bought all up for under 2,000 baht.

Living in luxury.

• Haha 2