Phuket Ready for Foreign Tourism in July Despite Thai Covid Wave

webfact

I'm in favor of it as an experiment to see if opening up has any negative affect.

At the same time, I hope they offer financial assistance to any Phuket natives that don't want to participate.  That is, assistance to relocate elsewhere temporarily if that's what they choose to do.

But I'll bet there's a lot more Thai people who want to move TO Phuket to capitalize on the tourist $$$.  That should be voluntary and managed.

And, of course, it would be great if they can contain the experiment to the island.  Both for better control of the data as well as protecting the rest of Thailand if it doesn't pan out.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

If they open for vaccinated tourists, this will be a good decision for Thailand.

Vaccinated people pose very little risk to others, less risk than locals without inoculation pose. And, they are also not at risk themselves. But they help the Thai tourism industry to survive. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

As it's predominantly the old and at risk that have been vaccinated....it's unlikely many of this group would want to travel..May receive a few hundred tourists a month...but the tens of thousands they expect just isn't going to happen

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, baansgr said:

As it's predominantly the old and at risk that have been vaccinated....it's unlikely many of this group would want to travel..May receive a few hundred tourists a month...but the tens of thousands they expect just isn't going to happen

The UK is currently vaccinating anyone who is 40 or over.

• Like 2

The main golden goose of China is a no go for sometime. Returnees are having 14 days in hotel quarantine and the 7 days monitored home quarantine.

Staycations are the new normal in most countries for the time being.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Los Luver said:

Great news!!!

But I wonder if one would be allowed to visit BKK & Pattaya

I think the idea is to isolate Phuket we only have one exit via the bridge or a flight out

4 hours ago, impulse said:

I'm in favor of it as an experiment to see if opening up has any negative affect.

At the same time, I hope they offer financial assistance to any Phuket natives that don't want to participate.  That is, assistance to relocate elsewhere temporarily if that's what they choose to do.

But I'll bet there's a lot more Thai people who want to move TO Phuket to capitalize on the tourist $$$.  That should be voluntary and managed.

And, of course, it would be great if they can contain the experiment to the island.  Both for better control of the data as well as protecting the rest of Thailand if it doesn't pan out.

Google "Seychelles Covid surge."

29 minutes ago, zzzzz said:

BUT how will this help the local economy as the Chinese stay in Chinese owned hotels, tour with Chinese companies, eat in Chinese

Who do you think works in all those businesses...virtual Chinese employees...who do you think supplies goods and services to all those businesses (and work at these businesses)?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

The success of these plans hinge on the ability of each province to meet the vaccination coverage of 70% of its residents and hospitality workers, Traisuree said. The government will soon accelerate inoculation programs “to build confidence in both the public and foreign tourists,” she said.

Whoops, I see a fly in the ointment, as the saying goes.

The article mentions that "slow vaccinations" are a problem and of course we keep getting the different messages from various officials (I do believe the TAT is missing a W from its abbreviation) so it seems a bit of a lottery that the 70% figure will be met by July 1.

Aside of that, is the fact that in Patong for example, long touted as a major playground for tourists, the state of the town is in abject disarray, with shops previously catering for tourists, falling down and many others in dire need of repairs.

Then of course there is the fear factor and I believe that will drive would-be tourists to Thailand, to seek holidays in the likes of Spain and Greece, for example, and with a much shorter aeroplane journey.

Much work needs to be done here to be able to get back on a level footing, and I really don't believe that will happen for another year or two, sad to say.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, zzzzz said:

I imagine the Chinese are getting their shots and are ready to fly direct into Phuket come July>

BUT how will this help the local economy as the Chinese stay in Chinese owned hotels, tour with Chinese companies, eat in Chinese owned restaurants and shop in Chinese owned shops

Will Patong, Karon, Kata open for them?

Not always the case lots of independent travelers

3 hours ago, nkg said:

The UK is currently vaccinating anyone who is 40 or over.

Yes, but the UK also has just issued a list of countries it deems safe for its citizens to visit and Thailand isn't on that list, meaning a strict 10 day self-isolation period upon return. I shouldn't think there's much chance of Britain, or any other country that has similar conditions, allowing Phuket in isolation to be added to a green list.

Incidentally, during previous sandbox press reports, The Maldives was sometimes quoted as an example of how mass tourism has opened up during the Covid crisis. Yesterday The Maldives went onto the UK's red list!