Thailand reports 2,419 new coronavirus cases, 19 new deaths

webfact

https://twitter.com/RichardBarrow/status/1390905445007589376

Today there were 19 deaths in #Thailand.

8 male and 11 female

Median age is 68 (42-93 years)

9 most likely got it from family members with Covid-19

Most deaths in Bangkok (7), and Samut Prakan & Pathum Thani (2 each

Out of the 2,409 local cases, most in:

Bangkok - 1,112

Nonthaburi - 217

Samut Prakan - 114

Prachuap Khiri Khan - 100

Pathum Thani - 93

Samut Sakhon - 77

Chonburi - 72

Prachinburi - 63

Ranong - 50

Surat Thani - 35

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Bangkok on Saturday accounted for almost half of all new COVID cases reported in Thailand, 1,112 out of 2,419 nationwide.

In another look, Bangkok and its five adjoining provinces accounted for 68 percent or 1,641 cases, more than two-thirds, of all cases nationwide. The adjoining provinces are Nonthaburi, Samut Prakan, Pathum Thani, Samut Sakhon and Nakhon Pathom.

Screenshot_18.jpg.5a7386d67f9d036042ab1c36ac92697b.jpg

From the MoPH's records, Bangkok's new case tally is the second highest during the pandemic, exceeded only by 1,582 cases on April 24.

April 18 to 24

373730621_BKKHistory-April18-24-high1582on4-24.jpg.624b2c9da166d99aa7322d9d287ee263.jpg

April 25 to May 1

1017097271_BKKHistory-April25-May1.jpg.8ac26f411d90c80f3c478d56f123168b.jpg

May 2-8

975402533_BKKHistory-May2-8.jpg.11006e43be5ad183c0fcac14b38b7266.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

It's tempting to think that as current cases in Thailand are not much higher than somewhere like the United Kingdom, and in the United Kingdom they're saying their cases are very low, that means Thailand is also very low. But in reality the United Kingdom is testing more than 10 times as many people, who knows what the true number of cases is in Thailand.

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/daily-tests-per-thousand-people-smoothed-7-day?tab=chart&country=THA~GBR

And the UK vaccination program has been effective.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, anchadian said:

Bangkok - 1,112

Nonthaburi - 217

Samut Prakan - 114

Pathum Thani - 93

Samut Sakhon - 77

Chonburi - 72

Prachinburi - 63

Ranong - 50

Surat Thani - 35

112 was rounded down to 100??

A new cluster has been found at a pineapple canning factory in Prachuap Khiri Khan today. Out of 257 people examined, 112 tested positive. There should be more details about this in the press briefing tomorrow

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gearbox said:

You can't compare Victoria with Thailand. At the moment all the neighbouring countries have plenty of covid cases, and the borders are quite porous. If they do a full lockdown and bring the cases back to zero, it would be a matter of time to get some covid from the neighbours again.

Of course after a lockdown cases will rise again but the whole point is to buy some time and break the current rates of infection into more manageable levels.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, WineOh said:

Here is the full interview.

Apologies, it was given last March, not may. 

Oh, so it was BEFORE the current hi-so infused third wave.

I reckon given the national Covid figures last March, he had every right to pat himself on the back, no? You should post a groveling apology to Anutin "Lucky" Charnvirakul for such a baseless bash, especially after admitting your earlier error on the date he gave the interview.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ministry of Public Health daily update on how Thailand is faring versus world countries and its regional peers in terms of total COVID cases since the start of the pandemic. With today's update, Thailand dropped one slot down to now rank 99th among world countries.

Screenshot_3.jpg.22c07bebba49522b7c9accc462789b62.jpg

Screenshot_4.jpg.d81af7227c09c63955b70b4763fc69d9.jpg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Oh, so it was BEFORE the current hi-so infused third wave.

I reckon given the national Covid figures last March, he had every right to pat himself on the back, no? You should post a groveling apology to Anutin "Lucky" Charnvirakul for such a baseless bash, especially after admitting your earlier error on the date he gave the interview.

On the 23rd April:

Health minister sees COVID-19 situation normalizing in 2-3 weeks

https://thainews.prd.go.th/en/news/detail/TCATG210423003110667

I guess he owes us an apology for that one then...........

2 hours ago, RobMuir said:

Rubbish.

They locked down hard, had curfews, near universal mask wearing, road side and shop temperature testing, etc etc.

Not to mention actively discouraged testing with less than 1% of 70 million tested!

This might just of had some effect on the low positive numbers and the dangerous perpetuated illusion of a virtually covid free Thailand.

Edited by sapson
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Caldera said:

About a week ago, the authorities said that the 3rd wave has peaked. A dubious claim at the time, and I think we can now safely say that they had no clue.

I completely agree with Caldera. Gov't claiming 3rd wave peaked on 23 Apr, was either wishful thinking, or blatant propaganda, or both!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:
1 hour ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Do you think they are still tracking and tracing "all" positive cases and placing all close contacts into self isolation?Because trying to that many each day has got to be pretty tricky. 

I agree. Now they are just going house to house since it appears many are infected in those areas. 

They simply can't in Bangkok but I think they do in other areas.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

As you can see from the graph, the curve is going up again: red (country), blue (Bangkok and surrounding provinces) and green (other provinces)

https://twitter.com/RichardBarrow/status/1390908436515221509

Ya, that's a good chart... similar to the trends I posted on yesterday... The rising case numbers in BKK and its several surrounding provinces are driving the national case numbers higher, but most of the remaining outlying provinces thus far aren't having big problems... as illustrated by the relatively flat green line.

Of today's new cases, 1,890 were self referrals and 519 were from outreach testing... So a good share of the recent increase is coming from increased outreach testing.

PS -  that chart is showing the trend lines since the beginning of April, the start of the current so-called third wave.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, anchadian said:

Bangkok - 1,112

Nonthaburi - 217

Samut Prakan - 114

Pathum Thani - 93

Samut Sakhon - 77

Chonburi - 72

Prachinburi - 63

Ranong - 50

Surat Thani - 35

I think we are short almost 500 cases

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Ya, that's a good chart... similar to the trends I posted on yesterday... The rising case numbers in BKK and its several surrounding provinces are driving the national case numbers higher, but most of the remaining outlying provinces thus far aren't having big problems... as illustrated by the relatively flat green line.

Of today's new cases, 1,890 were self referrals and 519 were from outreach testing... So a good share of the recent increase is coming from increased outreach testing.

Agreed,

Those self referrals are the worrying factor however, they are based from national figures and denote a large number of people still visiting hospitals or health centers to get tested due to suspecting they may have the virus or because of alerts.

If you look back historically in the CCSA briefings in the samut sakhon outbreak, active case finding was on most days finding more than hospital walk ins, which indicates enough testing was going on. However this time around the walk ins are by far the majority of cases being found each day.

For me, once we see the active case finding over take the hospital walk ins the I'll have a lot more confidence that enough testing is being done throughout Thailand

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, donmuang37 said:

I completely agree with Caldera. Gov't claiming 3rd wave peaked on 23 Apr, was either wishful thinking, or blatant propaganda, or both!

Just the normal total boll@cks this group of non elected military relics masquerading as a government has been spouting daily for years when not nose deep in the money troughs!

Anyway enough sugar coating!

5 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Agreed,

Those self referrals are the worrying factor however, they are based from national figures and denote a large number of people still visiting hospitals or health centers to get tested due to suspecting they may have the virus or because of alerts.

If you look back historically in the CCSA briefings in the samut sakhon outbreak, active case finding was on most days finding more than hospital walk ins, which indicates enough testing was going on. However this time around the walk ins are by far the majority of cases being found each day.

For me, once we see the active case finding over take the hospital walk ins the I'll have a lot more confidence that enough testing is being done throughout Thailand

The fact that self referrals remain in a plateau at about 2,000 cases a day is good news though. Maybe the two to three week prediction will turn out accurate after all.

1 minute ago, edwardandtubs said:

The fact that self referrals remain in a plateau at about 2,000 cases a day is good news though. Maybe the two to three week prediction will turn out accurate after all.

He made that prediction 3 weeks ago.

• Confused 1