Thailand reports 2,419 new coronavirus cases, 19 new deaths

webfact

3 minutes ago, anchadian said:

"The period after Songkran is a critical time to control the outbreak, if not we could see 10,000 to 20,000 cases per day," Senior health official, Opas Karnkawinpong, said, urging people to work from home for two weeks after the holidays.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asia/thailand-daily-record-new-covid-19-cases-biggest-rise-14619306

There you have it it came from a Senior Health official first and was then possibly discussed in that OP.  Thanks @anchadian Not sure the other poster can find a post stating that it started with a forum member before this was posted inside an OP or forum.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, keith101 said:

If i was living in another country and wanted to travel for a holiday Thailand with these current numbers would not make it onto a list of possibilities until at least 2022 or later .

If your vaccinated what does it matter?

3 minutes ago, madmen said:

If your vaccinated what does it matter?

It matters as to weather you would be let in unencumbered, or forced into a 14 day quarantine thus missing possibly most of your vacation time.  Then add in the possibility of still testing positive halfway through the quarantine, after being vaccinated, and then being sent to a field hospital here in Thailand.  Sounds like a great fun trip to me and no way your trip insurance would reimburse for the lost money.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, anchadian said:

"The period after Songkran is a critical time to control the outbreak, if not we could see 10,000 to 20,000 cases per day," Senior health official, Opas Karnkawinpong, said, urging people to work from home for two weeks after the holidays.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asia/thailand-daily-record-new-covid-19-cases-biggest-rise-14619306

The only problem with that being what are they going to call the "doomsayers" now?

4 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The MoPH on Saturday also provided a graphic showing a breakdown of COVID patients in various kinds of hospital facilities in Bangkok as of May 7 based on the severity of their symptoms, showing that more than 17% of patients are currently classified as having moderate to severe symptoms (English translations and percentages added for clarity):

Total patients -- 14,351

Minor symptoms -- 6,459

Asymptomatic -- 5,372

Moderate Symptoms -- 1,950

Severe Symptoms -- 570

05-08-21q.jpg.539f2a7567ad0ccec431b98376884420.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/informationcovid19/photos/a.106455480972785/321092242842440/

John,

Were those with severe symptoms on respirators.  I missed that detail somewhere today.

20 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

It matters as to weather you would be let in unencumbered, or forced into a 14 day quarantine thus missing possibly most of your vacation time.  Then add in the possibility of still testing positive halfway through the quarantine, after being vaccinated, and then being sent to a field hospital here in Thailand.  Sounds like a great fun trip to me and no way your trip insurance would reimburse for the lost money.

It's been abundantly clear over the last 12 months that no tourists are coming for the 14 day quarantine. 

However hypotheticaly speaking if the Phuket sandbox model goes ahead I'm there with ears pinned as a vaccined tourist. Who cares if the soup lady is positive? 

Edited by madmen
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

It would appear the lockdowns are not working? Time to try another strategy? Maybe eliminate the wearing of masks in cars, with family members? Maybe figure out a way to get some efficient and effective people involved in the national vaccination drive? Maybe replace the health minister with someone competent?

Any other ideas out there?

People are not locked down. Just various types of higher risk businesses closed.  When you start testing more, in the midst of an outbreak, you're gonna find more cases..

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

John,

Were those with severe symptoms on respirators.  I missed that detail somewhere today.

Ya, I was afraid there'd be confusion about that..

The chart above was just for BKK hospital patients, and made no mention of respirator status.

--------------------------------------

The other numbers we've been getting every day are NATIONAL ones, including today, where 1,138 COVID patients nationwide were listed in critical condition, including 380 on respirators as of today. But I've never seen a general conditions breakdown for that national group of hospitalized patients.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, robblok said:

Of course it makes a difference. I guess your from the UK and take it personally. Its just a name UK strain does not mean it comes directly from the UK. They think it came over the land borders from an other country. 

It matters a lot as that strain is far more contagious. 

yes , think India

• Confused 3

6 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Its so frustrating, there was plenty of real world evidence on how contagious this variant is and yet they seem to have been blind to that and did just about everything to allow it to spread this far instead of taking hard measures first.

Its a sad reality of the situation now, there's no getting away from it. I fear the only light at the end of the tunnel is herd immunity through vaccinations and we know how long thats going to take here.

Even so we still need sharp lockdown breakers now to help control this and avoid more deaths and of course the overwhelmed health service.

Brace yourself: there're fresh indicators some vaccines are not that effective. 

Seychelles Islands, population 98,000, the most fully vaccinated nation on earth (%62.2), is the midst of  a covid spike. 

1/3 of the cases have been fully vaccinated, using Sinopharm and AstraZeneca.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-05-04/world-s-most-vaccinated-nation-reintroduces-curbs-as-cases-surge

It also looks from a cases trend line charts MoPH provided today that BKK, Nonthaburi and Samut Prakan are having among the strongest upward trends since the beginning of April. Bangkok has not yet hit a new peak from late April, but the other two have.

Bangkok:

1535793045_BKKCasesthroughMay8.jpg.2118651606436a3ba8ce09030716146b.jpg

Nonthaburi (and not showing any outreach testing there either):

1178033325_NonthaburithroughMay8.jpg.5467ac383869546c34b344b3a1e317bf.jpg

Samut Prakan:

679194589_SamutPrakanthroughMay8.jpg.73dc932c7cdd62253b9b27733ecbd603.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/informationcovid19/photos/a.106455480972785/321091979509133/

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Ya, I was afraid there'd be confusion about that..

The chart above was just for BKK hospital patients, and made no mention of respirator status.

--------------------------------------

The other numbers we've been getting every day are NATIONAL ones, including today, where 1,138 COVID patients nationwide were listed in critical condition, including 380 on respirators as of today. But I've never seen a general conditions breakdown for that national group of hospitalized patients.

Thank you for trying to clarify it.  I did also see another OP running that says the 112 infected Cannery workers in Prachuap Kiri Khan were workers from Myanmar, but the CCSA list you provided said 100.  Then they said the factory was sealed in the article but then listed said this: "The factory is sealed off with a close watch on comings and goings", doesn't sound sealed to me except for possibly the foreign workers.

1 minute ago, ThailandRyan said:

Thank you for trying to clarify it.  I did also see another OP running that says the 112 infected Cannery workers in Prachuap Kiri Khan were workers from Myanmar, but the CCSA list you provided said 100.  Then they said the factory was sealed in the article but then listed said this: "The factory is sealed off with a close watch on comings and goings", doesn't sound sealed to me except for possibly the foreign workers.

It often takes a day or two before new cases get processed and confirmed in the system.

One of the reports posted earlier in this thread said the factory in PKK was going to be converted into a field hospital for the time being.

I agree with Caldera's comment regarding the Health Ministry quoting a week ago,  "the numbers have peaked".

For give me,  but when I was at school 55 years ago,  "peaked" meant that numbers were likely to reduce.

How is responsible for all this Bs.

is there a site/link to access information about the number of infections by area/province in thailand, thanks

Edited by Mavideol

47 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

You can lay the blame of this latest outbreak squarely on the shoulders of the incumbent and inept government. It's determination not to invest in vaccines and to stall inoculations until Siam Bioscience can produce was an utter failure of governance, purchasing vaccines over saving money has damaged Thailand to the tune of billions of baht, plus the thousands now out of work for the foreseeable future will cost them billions more.

That's actually millions out of work.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, PGSan said:

“normalising” can mean almost anything. 

He likes to leave his options open as much as possible, he knows his words sometimes come back to bite him in the foot. Dirty farrangs

7 hours ago, Caldera said:

About a week ago, the authorities said that the 3rd wave has peaked. A dubious claim at the time, and I think we can now safely say that they had no clue.

How long have you lived here ? Of course they haven't a clue they never have had nor did the chap and his sister before them ... 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Most people are already infected or incubating the virus, so infections and deaths will continue and will be more cases near future.
It will stop in some point, eventually, like any other past pandemic.

• Like 1