Come on people put your mobile phone - Down

5 hours ago, starky said:

It's the analytics that get you. Most people's smart phones know them better than they know themselves. And with every search and click and view and like it knows more and adapts better, making your phone far more interesting than reality and totally tailored to your view of the world and everything in it.

Google will agree with anything you have to say any conspiracy you believe in any falsehood you believe to be true. Is Donald Trump a genius? Yes. Is Donald Trump an idiot? Yes.

It's a double edged sword. In some ways phone are incredible but they are also insidious especially for a generation who has grown up knowing only of their existence. 

For those of us who are a bit older we can understand how much harm it is potentially doing to young impressionable minds. But to them your just like every old person ever shaking a fist and exclaiming "when I were a lad"......

Starky,

Your saying the same thing your father probably said to you about stuff. Fact remains that those who were better with computers and IT because they got used to it young made more money and had better opportunities. Same goes for mobiles they are small computers. 

Of course there are plenty of zombies who don't learn from the phone but if you don't have one or know how to use one your at a disadvantage. But true some people overdo it. 

22 hours ago, movsrus said:

It's a video addiction that will be more effective than a drug to enslave people.  Everyone has a smart phone which tracks where and when they go anyplace and now people are so enraptured by what they see on the phone/internet it becomes more like something out of 1984.

Imagine what this place will be like in 20 years when the young generation who are addicted to their phones finally get empowered to lead society and make the rules. 

Imagine one of them in the present unelected "PMs" shoes. ????

22 hours ago, Surelynot said:

Thamanat will probably be in charge by then........imagine who else might be in his cabinet????

Would not be surprised if it was still some unelected general.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, watthong said:

A while ago I started a similar thread re "smartphone zombies" and got talked down by a number of folks here on this forum, who claimed that I should be more considerate and get out of the zombies path whenever they are on the course of collision with me from the opposite direction. (I litterally stood my ground and braced for the impact! Hey, "common courtesy": if you don't see me then I don't see you.)

Unless it's a small child or an old person, I never change my direction and just walk into them, mobile or not. I fully agree with Hey, "common courtesy": if you don't see me then I don't see you.) ????

• Like 1

23 hours ago, tomgreen said:

Is there any one else here that just like myself can’t understand the need to constantly have your face buried in your mobile phone .

I had the same feelings as you when I saw parents come to 'watch' their children graduate from school, or participate in a performance such as sports, a play, or a school band concert. Instead of looking up at their children's accomplishments, the parents sat in the audience and stared at their phones. Now and then the sound of applause would snap them out of it so they would glance up, but then quickly return to their precious phones.

• Like 1

I spoke about this a few days ago on this forum.

Recently at yum cha here in Australia I saw a Chinese family with 3 generations having Sunday lunch. The young kids couldn't even at a meal with their grandparents make small talk as they were so immersed on their devices. Shame on the parents for not confiscating them for that 1 hour from the kids as it didn't look like their grandparents would be around much longer. Sad

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Andre0720 said:

Wow, that got me thinking.

My first reaction was related to my son, who is, like you say, smarter than his father ????.

But then, he had and still has a father. I coached him about the use of smartphones, and how it could become either good or bad. Second year at University and I can no longer coach him on many subjects. So you are right, in this instance.

But then, just ask anything worthwhile knowing to a kid or young adult in Thailand. They do not know. They are clueless. They have not learnt anything in the general knowledge.

General knowledge is available mainly in the English language. Translation exists of course. People whose primary language is other than English, do learn English, to have access to more knowledge. French, German, are a few examples. Thais also, Check with a doctor, a notary, a lawyer, very knowledgeable, but also know the English language as well.

Facebook will not give you access to higher knowledge. It will not.

You are right , the wrong way of using them will not help them getting smarter . So the system should teach them and they should not just teach them to sing in the morning but have proper teachers as well . 

19 hours ago, tifino said:

being 'smarter' isn't really that they know more, but now have an easier path to finding the answers they seek... 

Don't you wish you had the wisdom that you have now on the tip of your fingers when you where younger ?? I know what you mean but still i wish i had . 

I think there is a difference between using computers/tablets and using mobile phones.  The portability aspect of the latter is the problem- it lets them intrude into places and spaces where they aren't needed.  At my house, we had a pretty simple set of tech rules- no devices during mealtimes, and no devices in the bedrooms. 

I also...try...to enforce a "no cell phone" policy in the uni classes I teach. Students aren't allowed to have their phones, bags, coats etc at their desks- they need to be left in the back of the room.  It is funny to see the stampede at the end of class, all the girls dashing for their bags and the phones they contain!

My Thai wife and I are in our mid 40's. I picked one close to my own age. She doesn't use the phone much. When she does it's mostly YouTube, as it's easy to just scroll and find cooking and animal videos, while FB, IG, etc. are too complicated. Thank God.

As with other things, going with the proven, previous generation avoids the annoying bugs of the latest and greatest.

Staff in department stores, cashiers at supermarkets, it's rampant.. I've seen Tesco cashiers with phones sitting next to the register, checking it while the next customer places their items on the counter. There is almost zero management oversight in Thailand.

When I first arrived here I was also surprised to see bank staff using their personal phones to conduct internal bank business.

After years of being on the road and on call 24/7, i was a slave to my phone, my first phone was a nokia 101, so that shows how long ago this was. I now don't have one, when i need to call home i borrow the wife's and then hand it back, if i want to look on the internet i turn on our computer, sat safely in my chair.

On 5/8/2021 at 11:25 AM, bkk6060 said:

It is all never going to change just the way of the world get use to it.

OP, on your next Birthday invitations put "no phones" and see how many people show up.

My son in law about 4 years ago had some friends round for dinner. He told them all to put their phones in the middle of the table , anyone who just had to pick thier phone up had to wash up after.

Oh I have a Nokia that is about a dozen years old , if I am out having a coffee and switch it on it does get a few larfs. But it does all I want .  Takes calls , makes calls ,tells me who has rung and has a memory.  If I am driving and it rings I say to the wife "  Ask who it is , I will ring back later ".

20 minutes ago, dasboot said:

After years of being on the road and on call 24/7, i was a slave to my phone, my first phone was a nokia 101, so that shows how long ago this was. I now don't have one, when i need to call home i borrow the wife's and then hand it back, if i want to look on the internet i turn on our computer, sat safely in my chair.

My overseas phone was a Nokia till 2019 in S'pore it was too old for a sim card, forced to upgrade. My US phone was a flip phone till then also.

Edited by EVENKEEL