Are these girls talented or what !!

Denim

3 minutes ago, tifino said:

yes... need a bit more 'hands on' experience before they join the ranks of the talented 

Everybody starts at the bottom and most of us stay there. I can make noises (I wouldn't call it music) with my son's guitar, but he can play it well and also sing.

My singing qualifications send the dogs howling and into hiding with their paws over their ears.

My music teacher at school gave me a violin to practice with and sacked me 3 weeks later. I was later re-instated and played the lead, and only triangle.

The triangle instrument name is an idiophone type of musical instrument in the percussion family.

• Like 1

Lots of great all girl soul acts.

Not many solid all girl bands. Lots of solo performers.

Runaways, Gogos.

When I was a teen the girl that lived across the street from me used to hang out with the Runaways. She knew Lita Ford kinda well. I "dated" a member of the Gogo's (79-80) a few times. I'll just let that sleeping dog lie out of respect for her.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Denim said:

True but two of them have only just turned 20 and I think the drummer is only 16. Started Busking when they were 18 and some of the videos are from then. 

I admire their musicianship more than anything .

Mollie plays Guitar , Bass and Piano while Orlaith plays bass and guitar. Youngest , Mamie , is on drums.

IMO you are most correct on "musicianship". No argument as to an impressive cover.

For me musical "talent" is demonstrated when an individual or a group who even if are visually not appealing produce original output that is as good despite appreciation of a great live cover.

Cover  Bands are aplenty and some maybe do better than the original but in the current proliferation of  mass blah that is an excuse for mainstream originality they get buried in deep layers of s88t !

A very good friend who has been involved in the music  recording industry  for  40 years  has confessed to me that one day he will be asked  to assist in the "Official " release of a soundtrack that is little more than 30 second  buzz noise !

Analysis of music trends has revealed that over the  decades since the 60's and now exponentially "modern" music has devolved in complexity to the point where it is approaching  little more than primitive rhythmic chant definition.

20 hours ago, billd766 said:

They are OK but certainly not the first "all girl group" as you can see here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_all-female_bands

I always liked the Bangles myself.

That list does not include the Gee Gee Girls, a Sth Korean group that played in the Imperial Hotel in Singapore for about 6 months or so in the early 90s. They were great.

1 hour ago, sipi said:

I just swallowed my tongue.

She also represented Thailand in the winter Olympics as a downhill skier.

Quite an achievement.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Denim said:

She also represented Thailand in the winter Olympics as a downhill skier.

Quite an achievement.

Yes. She had quite a story. Her father disowned her for many years for "moral reasons" I believe, but they have since made up.

34 minutes ago, RobMuir said:

I would pay a large premium for front row at her concert.

Saw Vanessa in '96, wanted to in 95 on her red hot tour but then Thai gf did not want to go. By the time 96 came around the miniskirt had gone replaced by long formal dress and she appeared with her mum so all prim and proper, rather disappointing! Hotest violinist since Paganini 

Edited by clivebaxter
  • Like 1

As stated, just a cover band but seems they can play and the songs not complicated at all. But playing as a 3 pcs band is a bit harder than 4 pcs so kudos to them there. I will toss the Go Go's out there as a really good girl band.  

The Go-Go's - Our Lips Are Sealed 

• Like 1