Are these girls talented or what !!

Denim

1 hour ago, Saltire said:

Just leaving this here ????

Note to self. Next time I play in public I think stockings and suspenders might do something for my performance. For sure I'll be the only 64 year old Englishman thus dressed. Can't hurt ........can it ?

2 hours ago, clivebaxter said:

7 year old Chinese cutie

Some years ago there was a thread that had a clip of a young ?Chinese girl drummer. She could have been Thai, but not sure as it was long ago. Whatever, she was a brilliant drummer about same age.

6 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Some years ago there was a thread that had a clip of a young ?Chinese girl drummer. She could have been Thai, but not sure as it was long ago. Whatever, she was a brilliant drummer about same age.

Yes.....I put that thread up with Yoyoka :

She does a lot of heavy metal covers but I'm not a fan of that genre . As a moderator here puts it  .... Metisdead. .....Is for me anyway. Prefer something a bit lighter.

Edited by Denim
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, billd766 said:

Everybody starts at the bottom and most of us stay there. I can make noises (I wouldn't call it music) with my son's guitar, but he can play it well and also sing.

My singing qualifications send the dogs howling and into hiding with their paws over their ears.

My music teacher at school gave me a violin to practice with and sacked me 3 weeks later. I was later re-instated and played the lead, and only triangle.

The triangle instrument name is an idiophone type of musical instrument in the percussion family.

I did sing in all the choirs at school, the boys, mixed and concert choirs. From about the seventies on, unless you were the drummer, you would never get a job in a good band unless you were capable of taking the lead vocals and singing harmonies, myself, I would only take the lead vocals in maybe no more than four songs in one gig, a band playing in clubs would play over thirty songs in a gig, although I was a fair singer, I could never have been any bands lead singer, I was mainly a bass player and keyboard player.

I will use the Beatles, Rolling Stones and The Byrds here. The Beatles had two of the band who were good enough to be lead singers, The Stones only one, and he was more of a showman. The Byrds had four members who were good capable lead singers.

• Like 1

Is it inbred talent or practice and having the right parents ie violin teacher, guitar teacher? Could any kid learn to be proficient on any instrument from a very early age? Another Miumi, her dad is a music teacher.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, clivebaxter said:

Is it inbred talent or practice and having the right parents ie violin teacher, guitar teacher? Could any kid learn to be proficient on any instrument from a very early age? Another Miumi, her dad is a music teacher.

The guitar, unlike say , a piano , can be hard on the fingers , notably the tips , especially when first learning.. Also , if the guitar you are trying to play is merely a toy or cheap piece of junk , then even an adult keen to learn , can be put off and give up. For a child , who perhaps likes the idea of playing but lacks the patience and perseverance , it must be an attractive idea to just give up.

So, when I see a young person playing this well I can easily appreciate and enjoy what they have achieved provided it has been a genuine labour of love and not the result of parental coercion. Parental encouragement and guidance yes , but not force.

In this case it looks like she really likes what she is doing.

• Like 1

On 5/8/2021 at 2:42 PM, Ralf001 said:

Myself I have an Asian bent when it comes to all girl bands.

Love Bridear, great hard rock Japanese band.

Also like  Anarchy Stone.

I remember when I could play like that  !!!       ( air guitar ) 

On 5/7/2021 at 11:28 PM, billd766 said:

They are OK but certainly not the first "all girl group" as you can see here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_all-female_bands

I always liked the Bangles myself.

Pretty good list. I managed a couple of the punk all women bands on the list back in the day. Seems to be a few missing but maybe that is due to lack of Wikipedia articles on them and/or not being too widely known.

1 hour ago, grin said:

Pretty good list. I managed a couple of the punk all women bands on the list back in the day. Seems to be a few missing but maybe that is due to lack of Wikipedia articles on them and/or not being too widely known.

Did you manage The Slits?

Saw them playing support for The Clash along with US punk band Richard Hell and the Voidoids. Late 70s. Viv Albertine was Mick Jones's girlfriend.

21 hours ago, champers said:

Did you manage The Slits?

Saw them playing support for The Clash along with US punk band Richard Hell and the Voidoids. Late 70s. Viv Albertine was Mick Jones's girlfriend.

Ha ha, I was in San Francisco and my bands were nowhere near as big as the Slits. We did some US tours but were not that well known. We were lucky to even open for bands like the Slits. Saw them play at the I-Beam and it was a great show. A lot of amazing bands played at the I-Beam back in the day.